The Nearness of You: A Novel by Amanda Eyre…

The Nearness of You: A Novel

by Amanda Eyre Ward

My cousin came to visit, but got sick. I snagged this book to occupy my time waiting for her to get well. Interesting enough, but not great. Kind of like a triangle missing a leg, through most of it. Ending supplied the leg-- sort of. ( )
  bookczuk | Jul 23, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I loved the story. I loved the audio version of the book. The story is complex and it has a surprise ending. I may use this book as my book club book next month because it has quite a few issues that would be interesting to talk about. This is a fast paced story with interesting characters. You'd like to find "good" and "bad" in the various characters but they end up all having real life depth to them! ( )
  oolalu | May 22, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Very enjoyable recorded book.
Wish I had taken it with me on a long road trip, entertaining and thought provoking. ( )
  Quiltlady | May 21, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I liked this well enough - I thought the plot was interesting and raised some issues/ideas that I hadn't previously considered. However, I never really got the sense that Suzette actually wanted a child, so that kind of made the book a bit emotionally flat for me. Additionally, I thought the twist was a bit obvious so the ending had less of an impact as well. As a domestic drama, plot-wise, I think this mostly succeeds, but probably won't be too memorable for me.

I received an audio version of this book as part of LibraryThing's Early Reviewers program. ( )
  booksandbosox | May 18, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Suzette & Hyland have been married for 15 years. They've not had any children, mostly because of Suzette's strong fear of a child inheriting her mother's genetic predisposition for mental illness. But as Hyland becomes older he really regrets not being able to become a father and talks Suzette into entering into parenthood via a surrogate mother. They find a young surrogate, Dorrie, but as the day of birth approaches, Dorrie begins to have second thoughts about letting her baby go.

There was a lot of potential in this book and obviously, when motherhood is at question, lots of controversial subjects tend to emerge. The book didn't necessarily go in the direction that I'd expected, which was okay. But I did really have trouble engaging with Suzette's character, as I found her unlikeable for the most part. The story was enjoyable enough, but overall will probably not be one that sticks with me, as it was mostly underwhelming. I hate to say this, but I could see someone like Jodi Picoult taking this same subject matter & running with it, creating a more thorough & engaging story. ( )
  indygo88 | May 12, 2017 |
For Emily and her Stella June
For the mothers
The girl in the bed was close to death.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 110188715X, Hardcover)

In this profound and lyrical novel, acclaimed author Amanda Eyre Ward explores the deeper meanings of motherhood—from the first blissful hello to the heart-wrenching prospect of saying goodbye.

Brilliant heart surgeon Suzette Kendall is stunned when Hyland, her husband of fifteen years, admits his yearning for a child. From the beginning they’d decided that having children was not an option, as Suzette feared passing along the genes that landed her mother in a mental institution. But Hyland proposes a different idea: a baby via surrogate.

Suzette agrees, and what follows is a whirlwind of candidate selection, hospital visits, and Suzette’s doubts over whether she’s made the right decision. A young woman named Dorothy Muscarello is chosen as the one who will help make this family complete. For Dorrie, surrogacy (and the money that comes with it) are her opportunity to leave behind a troubled past and create a future for herself—one full of possibility. But this situation also forces all three of them—Dorrie, Suzette, and Hyland—to face a devastating uncertainty that will reverberate in the years to come.

Beautifully shifting between perspectives, The Nearness of You deftly explores the connections we form, the families we create, and the love we hold most dear.

Advance praise for The Nearness of You

The Nearness of You includes everything I love about Amanda Eyre Ward’s books: edgy eloquence, ingenious plotting, and relationships that are never, not for a single paragraph, simple or predictable. Through Suzette, Dorrie, Hyland, and Jayne, Ward reveals parenthood as an enterprise that is as wrenching as it is beautiful. You will love these characters and this book.”—Marisa de los Santos, New York Times bestselling author of The Precious One

“Deftly paced and enthralling, Amanda Eyre Ward’s The Nearness of You takes on the complexity of what it means to be a mother, and provides insights both heartening and harrowing.”—Mira Jacob, author of The Sleepwalker’s Guide to Dancing

The Nearness of You is not just an arresting meditation on motherhood, but also an exploration of how we can seize the lives we’ve been given and transform them into the lives we want to live. Like all of Ward’s novels, this book’s intrigue and charm demand that it be indulged in a single sitting.”—Vendela Vida, author of The Diver’s Clothes Lie Empty

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 16 Nov 2016 18:47:13 -0500)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Amanda Eyre Ward's book The Nearness of You is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,175,443 books! | Top bar: Always visible