Excession by Iain M. Banks

Excession (original 1996; edition 1996)

by Iain M. Banks

3,201541,740 (4.03)1 / 98
Member:andyl
Title:Excession
Authors:Iain M. Banks
Info:Orbit (1996), Hardcover
Tags:science fiction, first edition, the culture, derleth shortlisted, Kurd Laßwitz Preis, BSFA Award winner

Excession by Iain M. Banks (1996)

Anathem by Neal Stephenson (elenchus)
    elenchus: Banks also introduces the "out of context" problem central to Anathem, but in a wildly different plot, and universe. Banks is less ontology and more space opera, but I found both books very entertaining, and both Stephenson and Banks sensitive to political questions raised by their respective plots.… (more)

English (50)  French (2)  Italian (2)  All languages (54)
I have a different response to this Culture novel every time I read it, and I think this time I can put my finger on why: I just don't enjoy the human characters at all.

However, if you can put the vapid, self-absorbed and slow-moving human plotlines aside, there's a tremendous slice of space opera in which we finally get under the skin of not only Special Circumstances but the Minds themselves - comms, ethics, conspiracies, politics, poetry, egos, consciences - as they come to terms with an Outside Context Problem that may be the biggest opportunity the Culture (and every other Involved in the galaxy) has ever had, or the biggest threat they will ever face. ( )
  imyril | Jul 29, 2014 |
Not my favourite. Love the storyline but couldn't really keep track of all the ships and conspiracies. I'm not sure I ever did get it straight even though I went back through the book scribbling flow charts and names all over the place. But still enjoyable. ( )
  Ma_Washigeri | Jun 17, 2014 |
Possibly my favourite of all Banks' Culture novels. ( )
  ub1707 | May 5, 2014 |
While a little difficult to keep the different motives clear, this book allows for a glimpse into the mindset of those who hold themselves back and seperate from their society. Mostly a book about outcasts, solitude, and self inflicted loneliness derived from unfinished business. ( )
  Hexum2600 | Feb 28, 2014 |

Iain M. Banksprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Salwowski, MarkCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the memory of Joan Woods
A little more than one hundred days into the fortieth year of her confinement, Dajeil Gelian was visited in her lonely tower overlooking the sea by an avatar of the great ship that was her home. (Prologue)
Take a look at this:

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553575376, Mass Market Paperback)

It's not easy to disturb a mega-utopia as vast as the one Iain M. Banks has created in his popular Culture series, where life is devoted to fun and ultra-high-tech is de rigueur. But more than two millennia ago the appearance--and disappearance--of a star older than the universe caused quite a stir. Now the mystery is back, and the key to solving it lies in the mind of the person who witnessed the first disturbance 2,500 years ago. But she's dead, and getting her to cooperate may not be altogether easy.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:01 -0400)

Diplomat Byr Genar-Hofoen is swept into a vast conspiracy that could lead the universe to the brink of annihilation when he is selected to investigate the disappearance of an ancient star.

Current discussions

EXCESSION discussion (The Culture group read) in 75 Books Challenge for 2014

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,118,833 books! | Top bar: Always visible