Faro's Daughter by Georgette Heyer

Faro's Daughter (original 1941; edition 2004)

by Georgette Heyer

Member:booksandwine
Title:Faro's Daughter
Authors:Georgette Heyer
Info:ARROW (RAND) (2004), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 272 pages

Faro's Daughter by Georgette Heyer (1941)

English (23)  Spanish (1)  All languages (24)
Not my favorite Heyer novel but still a good read. Deborah Grantham comes from a good family but they lost most of their money and now she helps them run a gambling establishment. A young Lord has fallen hopelessly in love with Ms. Grantham and so Max Ravenscar, brother of the young Lord swoops in to help, certain that Deborah seeks to get the young man's fortune. Obviously, Max finds himself interested in Ms. Grantham but she wants nothing to do with either of them. ( )
  bookmagic | Nov 30, 2013 |
Entertaining Heyer as always. Both the H and h vow to get revenge on the other and it becomes a giant game of one-upmanship. That is until Ravenscar realizes how much he initially misjudged Deborah. In terms of stubbornness, temper and pride - they are a perfect match for one another. ( )
  emmytuck | Sep 27, 2013 |
I suppose its fitting that what I've deemed "the year of Georgette Heyer" ends with a Heyer, and what a fantastic one to end on! Nothing gets me more than a good Heyer hero. ( )
  lovelylime | Sep 21, 2013 |
Believing that his naive young cousin had fallen victim to "Faro's Daughter," in the guise of the beautiful Deborah Grantham, who dealt cards at her aunt's London gaming house, the autocratic Max Ravenscar set out to extricate him by offering the lady a bribe. But he had misjudged his mark, and Deb, outraged by his presumption and the insult to her honor, decided to teach him a lesson...

I am sorry to say that Faro's Daughter displayed so many of those obnoxious qualities which particularly irk me in romance novels that even Georgette Heyer's excellent writing could not redeem it. From the "hero's" abusive behavior, to the "heroine's" harebrained schemes for revenge, everything in this novel seemed designed to set my teeth on edge. Miss Grantham is so incensed at the slight to her honor that she determines upon a dishonorable course of action, and Ravenscar so enraged that a woman of her "stamp" should defy him that he set out to blackmail her.

In short: I did not like these characters, I was not convinced that they liked one another, and I was happy to have done with them! ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Jun 25, 2013 |
One of the good Heyer novels; the heroine who is a young woman of good family whom circumstances have made a faro player and the nobleman who tries to by her off strike real sparks ( )
  antiquary | Feb 27, 2013 |

Georgette Heyerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Matheson, EveNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Upon her butler's announcing the arrival of Mr Ravenscar, Lady Mablethorpe, who had been dozing over a novel from the Circulating Library, sat up with a jerk, and raised a hand to her dishevelled cap.

"A wife out of a gaming house! One of Faro's daughters! If I had my way, women of your stamp should be whipped..."

Max Ravenscar regarded all eligible females with indifference, preferring horses, cockfighting or cards. When he learns that his young cousin, Adrian, Lord Mablethorpe, intends to marry lovely Deborah Grantham who graces her aunt's gaming establishment, Max thinks it will be an easy matter to buy off the fair charmer. But Deborah is as spirited as she is beautiful, and Max was overdue for a much-needed lesson.

Deborah Grantham, mistress of her aunt's elegant gaming house, must find a way to restore herself and her aunt to respectability, preferably without accepting either of two repugnant offers. One is from an older, very rich and rather corpulent lord whose reputation for licentious behavior disgusts her; the other from the young, puppyish scion of a noble family whose relatives are convinced she is a fortune hunter. The young suitor's uncle, Max Ravenscar, comes to buy her off, an insult so scathing that it leads to a volley of passionate reprisals, escalating between them to a level of flair and fury that can only have one conclusion.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,552,118 books! | Top bar: Always visible