Faro's Daughter by Georgette Heyer

Faro's Daughter (original 1941; edition 2004)

by Georgette Heyer

Title:Faro's Daughter
Authors:Georgette Heyer
Info:ARROW (RAND) (2004), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 272 pages

Faro's Daughter by Georgette Heyer (1941)

English (31)  Spanish (1)  All languages (32)
Georgetter Heyer makes me laugh out loud at her characters. Are the plots formulaic and contrived. Yes, but she was one of the first who came up with a winning formula and then followed it from book to book with great success. This one has a couple who fight with each other over and over again and were incredibly amusing at the same time. Great fun. ( )
  whymaggiemay | Nov 14, 2015 |
This isn't the first book with this theme I've read so far. A mistaken opinion is hardly a boring theme. It works quite well in romances.
I didn't like the characters, but while I simply didn't like Deborah Grantham and Max Ravenscar or their cousins and friends, her aunt was the most despicable person in the whole book. Her one and only interest is money and what could or should Deb do to deal with it. It was disgusting. It might be just me but I felt sick while reading the scenes when she was talking about the debts and Deb's suitors.

The two main characters are good in almost every situation as long as they are not together. They are horrible then. The final scene is the only one that doesn't have them acting as they are crazy.

I liked it well enough. The theme is great. I haven't read Heyer before so I am certain that there are other books that I might like a bit more. I'll go with it was an ok book for now. ( )
  Irena. | Nov 3, 2015 |
Maybe just 3.5 stars for this unabridged audiobook edition as I found Laura Paton's voice for some of the characters jarred on me. In particular, I didn't like the voice for Max Ravenscar... but the story is so much fun that I soon was able to ignore that! ( )
  leslie.98 | Oct 30, 2015 |
Some quality humour features throughout this title, as you'd expect from a Heyer novel, but I don't feel the author's at her best here.

The plot reminds me of a tamer version of several other works she wrote that are set in the late 1700s/early 1800s, while on a similar note the characters come across as watered-down interpretations of the type one usually finds in Ms Heyer's books.

The last two chapters I found brilliant, so it's a pity the previous 20-odd weren't up to the same standard. In short, I don't consider this a Heyer classic but it's still well worth checking out. ( )
  PhilSyphe | Oct 19, 2015 |
Max Ravenscar and Deborah Grantham don't meet cute--they meet angry. From the moment they first encounter each other in Deb's aunt's gambling establishment, they are determined to take each other down.

Ravenscar comes to Lady Bellingham's gaming house to end the romance between Deb and his young cousin Adrian; even though Deb is the orphaned daughter of a gentleman, massive family debts have led her aunt to start the gambling business to stay afloat, and beautiful Deb is one of its main draws. Ravenscar is convinced that Deb is encouraging Adrian's affections because she assumes the family will pay her handsomely to abandon the relationship, but in fact, Deb has no intention of marrying Adrian--she sees his schoolboy crush for what it is. She's too proud to tell Ravenscar this, however, and the battle between the two escalates in typically absurd Heyer fashion until they realize--of course--that they love each other madly.

The characters are well-drawn here; Deb is another of Heyer's smart, stubborn, high-spirited heroines. I found her refusal to tell the truth about her intentions maddening, however, and frankly, the passion with which Deb and Max try to destroy each other is more than a little bit creepy. They're avowed sadists--at least toward each other--so maybe it really is a match made in heaven, but I found their repartee more disturbing than charming. Not my cup of tea, but if you like couples who have to break each other's will before they can fall in love, then you're welcome to it. ( )
  rvhatha | Jun 8, 2015 |

Georgette Heyerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heyer, Georgettemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Matheson, EveNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Upon her butler's announcing the arrival of Mr Ravenscar, Lady Mablethorpe, who had been dozing over a novel from the Circulating Library, sat up with a jerk, and raised a hand to her dishevelled cap.
To be sure, it was unfortunate that Arabella should be such a flirt, but what, in another damsel, would have been a shocking fault, was, in such a notable heiress, a mere whimsicality of youth.

"A wife out of a gaming house! One of Faro's daughters! If I had my way, women of your stamp should be whipped..."

Max Ravenscar regarded all eligible females with indifference, preferring horses, cockfighting or cards. When he learns that his young cousin, Adrian, Lord Mablethorpe, intends to marry lovely Deborah Grantham who graces her aunt's gaming establishment, Max thinks it will be an easy matter to buy off the fair charmer. But Deborah is as spirited as she is beautiful, and Max was overdue for a much-needed lesson.

Deborah Grantham, mistress of her aunt's elegant gaming house, must find a way to restore herself and her aunt to respectability, preferably without accepting either of two repugnant offers. One is from an older, very rich and rather corpulent lord whose reputation for licentious behavior disgusts her; the other from the young, puppyish scion of a noble family whose relatives are convinced she is a fortune hunter. The young suitor's uncle, Max Ravenscar, comes to buy her off, an insult so scathing that it leads to a volley of passionate reprisals, escalating between them to a level of flair and fury that can only have one conclusion.… (more)

Sourcebooks Casablanca

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Casablanca.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,843,675 books! | Top bar: Always visible