Faro's Daughter by Georgette Heyer

Faro's Daughter (original 1941; edition 2008)

by Georgette Heyer

Member:skiourophile
Title:Faro's Daughter
Authors:Georgette Heyer
Info:Sourcebooks Casablanca (2008), Edition: Reprint, Kindle Edition, 291 pages
Collections:Your library, Kindle
Rating:***1/2

Faro's Daughter by Georgette Heyer (1941)

English (34)  Spanish (1)  All languages (35)
This isn't the first book with this theme I've read so far. A mistaken opinion is hardly a boring theme. It works quite well in romances.
I didn't like the characters, but while I simply didn't like Deborah Grantham and Max Ravenscar or their cousins and friends, her aunt was the most despicable person in the whole book. Her one and only interest is money and what could or should Deb do to deal with it. It was disgusting. It might be just me but I felt sick while reading the scenes when she was talking about the debts and Deb's suitors.

The two main characters are good in almost every situation as long as they are not together. They are horrible then. The final scene is the only one that doesn't have them acting as they are crazy.

I liked it well enough. The theme is great. I haven't read Heyer before so I am certain that there are other books that I might like a bit more. I'll go with it was an ok book for now. ( )
  Aneris | Aug 12, 2016 |
Originally posted on Tales to Tide You Over

Faro’s Daughter is a delightful romp illustrating what happens when two headstrong people, used to getting their way, end up on opposite sides. Georgette Heyer may, in fact, be at the root of my love for well-written “misunderstanding” romances. The story begins with Mr. Ravenscar and his aunt making an assumption based on Deborah’s circumstances as to her character, and devolves from there.

Could Deborah have pulled him aside and gently explained the true circumstance in the face of his slander? Sure. But why should she have to bow to his arrogance when he never once entertained the possibility that he might have misunderstood the situation?

That arrogance is certainly not one-sided either, nor do the lengths to which either of them goes make much sense to outsiders. But within an escalating war of wills, anything is game, while there are others happy to manipulate the circumstances for their own interests as well. The nature of Deborah and Mr. Ravenscar’s responses build a much different picture of how they perceive each other as the story progresses, allowing the reader to see the change in circumstances in a lovely fashion before the characters themselves have recognized the source of their extravagance.

As you might have guessed, I enjoyed this story as much as I may have many years before, though it’s possible I had not read this particular title as of yet. However, I promised some observations about the style, so here they are:

Heyer has a particular way of writing with many exclamation points and an exaggerated nature in both the narrative and the dialogue that is very different than today’s standards. It is as though the characters and everything that happens to them is larger than life even when simply sharing a game of cards. Of course, to these two, there is nothing simple about a card game either.

Part of what I enjoyed was the inclusion of the historical circumstances. Families were constantly faced with life-altering decisions such as desperate attempts to save the family fortune through good marriages, and yes, through running a gambling establishment. The quality of the company and the good food could let the proprietors pretend a moral standard but ultimately little separated them from the gaming hells.

It’s not just the difference in their circumstances that set Deborah and Mr. Ravenscar apart but also the difference in reputation. Mr. Ravenscar is not the only one to believe Deborah to have a price that has little to do with her virtue or reputation despite the quality of her bloodline.

One other aspect that deserves mention when current views of the past have blinders is the presence of a black pageboy. It’s only a passing reference, but when you compare that to so many claiming there were only white-skinned persons in London during the Regency, it’s worth mentioning. Apparently, this whitewashing of the past is a more recent event as Heyer (this novel was first published in 1941) saw nothing of note in the inclusion of non-white staff, much like how the skin tones in Regency Era artworks show a variety in all levels of society. ( )
1 vote MarFisk | Jul 26, 2016 |
Faro's Daughter was my first experience with Georgette Heyer's work and I've fallen in love with this book! The plot seemed simple when I read the story summary, but the execution was brilliant and highly entertaining. This charming historical romance kept me up late just to see how things would play out between Deborah and Max. Heyer paints vivid pictures with each and every scene, allowing the story to progress like an exceptionally created movie in your mind. The dialogue is witty, humorous, and full of emotion, all of which compliment Heyer's passionate characters.

Many thanks to my GR's friend Karishma for recommending this author and specifically this book! It's now one of my favorites as well! ( )
  Becky_McKenna | May 20, 2016 |
Max sets out to rescue his cousin Adrain from - as he sees it - the toils of a scheming girl from a gaming house. However the girl turns out to be strong-willed and obstinate. A delightful battle of wills ensues. Good historical background exposing some class prejudice, with an exciting ending.

A little stressful in places, and I don't think I enjoyed it quite so much on re-reading, six years after the last time, but still a good story. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
Georgetter Heyer makes me laugh out loud at her characters. Are the plots formulaic and contrived. Yes, but she was one of the first who came up with a winning formula and then followed it from book to book with great success. This one has a couple who fight with each other over and over again and were incredibly amusing at the same time. Great fun. ( )
  whymaggiemay | Nov 14, 2015 |

Georgette Heyerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heyer, Georgettemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Matheson, EveNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Paton, LauraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Upon her butler's announcing the arrival of Mr Ravenscar, Lady Mablethorpe, who had been dozing over a novel from the Circulating Library, sat up with a jerk, and raised a hand to her dishevelled cap.
To be sure, it was unfortunate that Arabella should be such a flirt, but what, in another damsel, would have been a shocking fault, was, in such a notable heiress, a mere whimsicality of youth.

"A wife out of a gaming house! One of Faro's daughters! If I had my way, women of your stamp should be whipped..."

Max Ravenscar regarded all eligible females with indifference, preferring horses, cockfighting or cards. When he learns that his young cousin, Adrian, Lord Mablethorpe, intends to marry lovely Deborah Grantham who graces her aunt's gaming establishment, Max thinks it will be an easy matter to buy off the fair charmer. But Deborah is as spirited as she is beautiful, and Max was overdue for a much-needed lesson.

Deborah Grantham, mistress of her aunt's elegant gaming house, must find a way to restore herself and her aunt to respectability, preferably without accepting either of two repugnant offers. One is from an older, very rich and rather corpulent lord whose reputation for licentious behavior disgusts her; the other from the young, puppyish scion of a noble family whose relatives are convinced she is a fortune hunter. The young suitor's uncle, Max Ravenscar, comes to buy her off, an insult so scathing that it leads to a volley of passionate reprisals, escalating between them to a level of flair and fury that can only have one conclusion.… (more)

Sourcebooks Casablanca

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Casablanca.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,135,259 books! | Top bar: Always visible