Faro's Daughter by Georgette Heyer

Faro's Daughter (original 1941; edition 2008)

by Georgette Heyer

Member:nicchic
Title:Faro's Daughter
Authors:Georgette Heyer
Info:Sourcebooks Casablanca (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Europe, Regency, historical fiction, romance, historical romance

Faro's Daughter by Georgette Heyer (1941)

Recently added bysammii507, private library, HelloSugah, LoriY, Vegemite, IamFluff, JBerntsen, soraki

English (26)  Spanish (1)  All languages (27)
This is not a bad book. Indeed, the writing is charming, the characters are well developed and interesting, and the plot is fun and enjoyable. The problem with this book is the same problem I had with The Corinthian - you don't get any idea that the two central characters have any feelings for each other until the very end. They honestly seem to hate each other until suddenly they're declaring their undying love (or he is, anyway). It just seemed to come out of nowhere. Other than that, this is a cute enough book. ( )
  sammii507 | Aug 19, 2014 |
Faro's Daughter by Georgette Heyer was the first novel by Heyer I have read, and I can hope that it was not one of her best, given her reputation. It wasn't bad, and the writing was, in fact, rather clever, but the characters were not particularly likeable or well developed and once again the characters' actions often seemed inexplicable. ( )
  dooney | Aug 7, 2014 |
This was my first experience reading Heyer, an author I learned about on LT. I'd say I liked it and would read more by her in the future, though I wasn't as blown away as I hoped to be. This is one of Heyer's romances. There is the feisty female heroine in unfortunate financial situations and the rich, young nobleman who is infatuated with her. His cousin and guardian sets out to save him from this woman and of course ends up falling in love with her himself. There is lots of action and some witty dialogue. I found it all very predictable, but I still enjoyed it. It's a fun book if you're in the right mood for it. ( )
  japaul22 | Jun 6, 2014 |
Not my favorite Heyer novel but still a good read. Deborah Grantham comes from a good family but they lost most of their money and now she helps them run a gambling establishment. A young Lord has fallen hopelessly in love with Ms. Grantham and so Max Ravenscar, brother of the young Lord swoops in to help, certain that Deborah seeks to get the young man's fortune. Obviously, Max finds himself interested in Ms. Grantham but she wants nothing to do with either of them. ( )
  bookmagic | Nov 30, 2013 |
Entertaining Heyer as always. Both the H and h vow to get revenge on the other and it becomes a giant game of one-upmanship. That is until Ravenscar realizes how much he initially misjudged Deborah. In terms of stubbornness, temper and pride - they are a perfect match for one another. ( )
  emmytuck | Sep 27, 2013 |

Georgette Heyerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Matheson, EveNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Upon her butler's announcing the arrival of Mr Ravenscar, Lady Mablethorpe, who had been dozing over a novel from the Circulating Library, sat up with a jerk, and raised a hand to her dishevelled cap.
To be sure, it was unfortunate that Arabella should be such a flirt, but what, in another damsel, would have been a shocking fault, was, in such a notable heiress, a mere whimsicality of youth.

"A wife out of a gaming house! One of Faro's daughters! If I had my way, women of your stamp should be whipped..."

Max Ravenscar regarded all eligible females with indifference, preferring horses, cockfighting or cards. When he learns that his young cousin, Adrian, Lord Mablethorpe, intends to marry lovely Deborah Grantham who graces her aunt's gaming establishment, Max thinks it will be an easy matter to buy off the fair charmer. But Deborah is as spirited as she is beautiful, and Max was overdue for a much-needed lesson.

Deborah Grantham, mistress of her aunt's elegant gaming house, must find a way to restore herself and her aunt to respectability, preferably without accepting either of two repugnant offers. One is from an older, very rich and rather corpulent lord whose reputation for licentious behavior disgusts her; the other from the young, puppyish scion of a noble family whose relatives are convinced she is a fortune hunter. The young suitor's uncle, Max Ravenscar, comes to buy her off, an insult so scathing that it leads to a volley of passionate reprisals, escalating between them to a level of flair and fury that can only have one conclusion.… (more)

Sourcebooks Casablanca

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Casablanca.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,152,963 books! | Top bar: Always visible