Feersum Endjinn by Iain M Banks

Feersum Endjinn (original 1994; edition 1994)

by Iain M Banks, Iain M. Banks

1,949None3,479 (3.69)36
Member:ijanos
Title:Feersum Endjinn
Authors:Iain M Banks
Other authors:Iain M. Banks
Info:Orbit Books (1994), Edition: 7th Edition, Paperback, 279 pages
Rating:***

Feersum Endjinn by Iain M. Banks (1994)

Recently added byAlaskan_Bookie, ExpatTX, Lonerockz, Ormolu, private library, MarcusB, darnia, harabou
(4) 20th century (10) adventure (5) Banks (5) British (9) culture (9) dialect (8) ebook (6) fantasy (12) far future (7) fiction (168) hard sf (6) Iain M. Banks (11) literature (5) novel (31) own (9) owned (5) paperback (6) read (25) science fiction (418) Scotland (6) Scottish (10) sf (129) sff (24) space opera (28) speculative fiction (9) The Culture (14) to-read (19) unread (19) virtual reality (9)

English (24)  Italian (1)  All languages (25)
I -- don't know what to think. This one will have to sit and be turned over in the mental thought-bank for a while: the difficulties of following the narrative through POV changes and the phonetically written sections made it fragment in my mind, despite me reading it at my usual tremendous pace. I think I liked it a lot: I certainly liked the concept of the world, anyway, though on reflection I don't give much a monkey's about most of the characters.

If phonetic spelling is going to annoy you, and/or be really difficult for you, don't bother with this one. It doesn't feel as fully realised, to me, as Banks' other books (that I've read, anyway) do. The central ideas are interesting, and the choice of narrative structure is experimental, but it didn't work as well as I'd hoped for me. But if you trust Banks, then try it. ( )
1 vote shanaqui | May 28, 2013 |
Overall, I liked it. It was a page turner, the pacing was good, it is very, very clever. There are two things I didn't like about it, and I found them distracting while reading. (mild spoilers)

**** mild spoilers ****
1. Fuck this dialect shit. it does not add to the story. we do not have some magic moment where his brain being differntm makes all the difference 2. Yay! Two female characters. Boo! Let's go our of the way to point out that both were men in the past. ( )
1 vote ansate | May 22, 2013 |
Couldn't get past the irritating language - didn't finish. ( )
  SChant | Apr 26, 2013 |

Iain M. Banksprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Salwowski, MarkCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For the Daves
Then, it was as though everything was stripped away: sensation, memory, self, even the notion of existence that underlies reality - all seems to have vanished utterly, their passing marked only by the realisation that they had disappeared, before that too ceased to have any meaning, and for an indefinite, infinite instant, there was only the awareness of something; something that possessed no mind, no purpose and no thought, except the knowledge that it was.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553374591, Paperback)

In a future where the ancients have long since departed Earth for the stars, those left behind live complacent lives filled with technological marvels they no longer understand. Then a cosmic threat known as the Encroachment begins a devastating ice age on Earth, and it sets in motion a series of events that will bring together a cast of original characters who must struggle through war, political intrigues and age-old mysteries to save the world. (B 4worned, 1 oph Banx' carrokters theenx en funetic inglish, which makes for some tough reading but also some innovative prose.)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:06:36 -0400)

A cloud of space dust is advancing on Earth, threatening to destroy all life. The task of saving the planet falls to the Chapel Engineers, an organization of scientific consciences, many of whose bodies are dead, plugged into a computer network.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,493,657 books! | Top bar: Always visible