The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

The Hate U Give

by Angie Thomas

English (141)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  All languages (146)
Just as great a book as the ads for the movie suggested. I hope they did the movie well. I can't wait to see it and think those who haven't read the book will enjoy it, too! ( )
  KatKealy | Sep 19, 2018 |
Starr Carter is 16. She lives in Garden Heights, a rough neighborhood. Gangs and problems are all around. Her father was in prison and used to be part of a gang. Her parents send her to a mostly white school to give her a better chance of getting out of the neighborhood. While at a party shots ring out. Her old neighborhood friend, Khalil, grabs her and the leave in his car. As they're driving around they are stopped by the police. Khalil is seen as a thug and is suspected of selling drugs. While Starr is in the car, Khalil is told to get out. The policeman thinks he is reaching for a gun and shoots Khalil down. Starr loses a childhood friend and is faced with a choice, speak her mind or remain the unidentified witness. She speaks out and learns about community activism and race relations. Powerful story that reminds me of recent news stories of interactions between police and minority citizens. Filled with action. ( )
  alsparks324 | Sep 12, 2018 |
I originally recommended this book to my husband for his after-school book club after hearing everyone raving about it on Twitter; once he read it, he put a copy in my hands and told me that I had to read it too, because it was so good. He was right.

This is an important story that needs to be told: the struggle of a young black girl to fit into two different worlds, the racism black people deal with from law enforcement, the oppression of white supremacy. Angie Thomas hits it straight on, but more than that, she tells this story well. The writing is beautiful; Thomas doesn’t let her powerful story rest on its own, but gives it life through a cleverly constructed narrative.

Starr’s voice feels genuine, and Thomas does an amazing job in making the entire world she lives in feel real, with its impeccably fine details. The neighborhood Starr lives in is beautifully drawn, from the old lady living next door, to the outspoken barber working on the same street as her father’s grocery, to silly family squabbles and more real family drama.

What I appreciated most about this story is how it gives you the tough story with the heartbreaking moments along with the humorous situations. I was fighting back tears at one moment, then laughing the next. Life is funny in that you can be going through a tragedy, and yet it somehow continues; even while going through something hard, you are still able to tell jokes to friends and appreciate lighter moments, which is what Thomas depicts. It’s that level of nuance that helps make this book so special and feel so real. Thomas held nothing back and put in WORK to bring Starr’s story to life. You can tell, because the read itself is so effortless for the reader.

The hype is worth it; there is a reason this has been so popular. If you haven’t picked it up, you won’t regret it. I fully expect this to be adopted into many curricula in the future, it’s just that relevant and well written.

Also posted on Purple People Readers. ( )
  sedelia | Aug 27, 2018 |
This is an extra book I picked up to read because my friends daughter was reading it and my daughter wanted to read it to. A story told from young girl who witnesses a a terrible situation and crime and how she deals with the situation.The theme throughout the the book is trust, Justice, love and racism. The book is riddled with swear words spoken by the adults and teens in the stiry. I picked up this book many times to give it a chance but every time I read it I was disappointed. I will read it again. Maybe a book for older teens but not younger teens. I would not have this book in my classroom. ( )
  Mgunther1 | Aug 12, 2018 |
Angie Thomas's debut novel seems based on the Michael Brown killing in Ferguson, MO, and elements of subsequent Black Lives Matter incidents. It takes place in an unnamed city that teems with violence and drugs, and also with a vibrant African-American community trying to improve life there. It centers on Starr Walker, a 16 year old girl who leaves a party with a friend and then witnesses her unarmed friend get shot and killed by a police officer during a bogus traffic stop. Starr lives in the ghetto but attends a mostly-White private school in the suburbs, where she leads a double life as an assimilated Black girl and dates a rich White boy. Her family is complicated, but close, with a strong ex-con father and a strong career-driven nurse mother dedicated to staying in the community and making a difference. Many references to the Black Panthers, Huey Newton, Malcolm X, etc abound.

The book follows Starr as she finds her voice and comes of age while dealing with the trauma of her friend's death.

The book is heavy on dialogue, written in inner-city Black vernacular. It's a moving story, and certainly a political book, dedicated near the end to many African Americans who have died at the hands of police. It's light on description- the writing is so focused on the dialogue that little attention is paid to the prose.

It feels real, though- the author has a good grasp on city life (I think), though I thought the high level of violence in the city seemed a bit 1970s. Good read, though. ( )
  DanTarlin | Aug 10, 2018 |

Angie Thomasprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cartwright, DebraCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mutsaers, JasperTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stempel, JennaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Turpin, BahniNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Sixteen-year-old Starr Carter moves between two worlds: the poor neighborhood where she lives and the fancy suburban prep school she attends. The uneasy balance between these worlds is shattered when Starr witnesses the fatal shooting of her childhood best friend Khalil at the hands of a police officer. Khalil was unarmed. Soon afterward, his death is a national headline. Some are calling him a thug, maybe even a drug dealer and a gangbanger. Protesters are taking to the streets in Khalil's name. Some cops and the local drug lord try to intimidate Starr and her family. What everyone wants to know is: what really went down that night? And the only person alive who can answer that is Starr. But what Starr does-or does not-say could upend her community. It could also endanger her life.

Inspired by the Black Lives Matter movement, Angie Thomas’s searing debut about an ordinary girl in extraordinary circumstances addresses issues of racism and police violence with intelligence, heart, and unflinching honesty. Soon to be a major motion picture from Fox 2000/Temple Hill Productions.

Soon afterward, his death is a national headline. Some are calling him a thug, maybe even a drug dealer and a gangbanger. Protesters are taking to the streets in Khalil’s name. Some cops and the local drug lord try to intimidate Starr and her family. What everyone wants to know is: what really went down that night? And the only person alive who can answer that is Starr.

But what Starr does—or does not—say could upend her community. It could also endanger her life.

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 03 Jan 2017 10:50:39 -0500)

After witnessing her friend's death at the hands of a police officer, Starr Carter's life is complicated when the police and a local drug lord try to intimidate her in an effort to learn what happened the night Kahlil died.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,801,650 books! | Top bar: Always visible