The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

The Hate U Give (edition 2017)

by Angie Thomas

Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:****1/2
Tags:YA, read september 2017

The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

English (142)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  All languages (147)
I read this book because it was banned. The description of one of the bannings was that a parent of a school was highly offended by page 13. If you aren't going to read the book, you shouldn't be allowed to suggest banning it. Other reasons are language and drug use--these are inner city teens--are we supposed to pretend this doesn't happen with all teens? The story follows what the author imagines a racially profiled black teen might go through after a confrontation with the police. The timing is great because our police can't seem to stop killing young black people. It's important to write and read about these things. They make for very realistic fiction. I almost felt like I was reading a biography. I loved it. ( )
  AmandaSanders | Sep 20, 2018 |
Just as great a book as the ads for the movie suggested. I hope they did the movie well. I can't wait to see it and think those who haven't read the book will enjoy it, too! ( )
  KatKealy | Sep 19, 2018 |
Starr Carter is 16. She lives in Garden Heights, a rough neighborhood. Gangs and problems are all around. Her father was in prison and used to be part of a gang. Her parents send her to a mostly white school to give her a better chance of getting out of the neighborhood. While at a party shots ring out. Her old neighborhood friend, Khalil, grabs her and the leave in his car. As they're driving around they are stopped by the police. Khalil is seen as a thug and is suspected of selling drugs. While Starr is in the car, Khalil is told to get out. The policeman thinks he is reaching for a gun and shoots Khalil down. Starr loses a childhood friend and is faced with a choice, speak her mind or remain the unidentified witness. She speaks out and learns about community activism and race relations. Powerful story that reminds me of recent news stories of interactions between police and minority citizens. Filled with action. ( )
  alsparks324 | Sep 12, 2018 |
I originally recommended this book to my husband for his after-school book club after hearing everyone raving about it on Twitter; once he read it, he put a copy in my hands and told me that I had to read it too, because it was so good. He was right.

This is an important story that needs to be told: the struggle of a young black girl to fit into two different worlds, the racism black people deal with from law enforcement, the oppression of white supremacy. Angie Thomas hits it straight on, but more than that, she tells this story well. The writing is beautiful; Thomas doesn’t let her powerful story rest on its own, but gives it life through a cleverly constructed narrative.

Starr’s voice feels genuine, and Thomas does an amazing job in making the entire world she lives in feel real, with its impeccably fine details. The neighborhood Starr lives in is beautifully drawn, from the old lady living next door, to the outspoken barber working on the same street as her father’s grocery, to silly family squabbles and more real family drama.

What I appreciated most about this story is how it gives you the tough story with the heartbreaking moments along with the humorous situations. I was fighting back tears at one moment, then laughing the next. Life is funny in that you can be going through a tragedy, and yet it somehow continues; even while going through something hard, you are still able to tell jokes to friends and appreciate lighter moments, which is what Thomas depicts. It’s that level of nuance that helps make this book so special and feel so real. Thomas held nothing back and put in WORK to bring Starr’s story to life. You can tell, because the read itself is so effortless for the reader.

The hype is worth it; there is a reason this has been so popular. If you haven’t picked it up, you won’t regret it. I fully expect this to be adopted into many curricula in the future, it’s just that relevant and well written.

Also posted on Purple People Readers. ( )
  sedelia | Aug 27, 2018 |
This is an extra book I picked up to read because my friends daughter was reading it and my daughter wanted to read it to. A story told from young girl who witnesses a a terrible situation and crime and how she deals with the situation.The theme throughout the the book is trust, Justice, love and racism. The book is riddled with swear words spoken by the adults and teens in the stiry. I picked up this book many times to give it a chance but every time I read it I was disappointed. I will read it again. Maybe a book for older teens but not younger teens. I would not have this book in my classroom. ( )
  Mgunther1 | Aug 12, 2018 |

Angie Thomasprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cartwright, DebraCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mutsaers, JasperTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stempel, JennaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Turpin, BahniNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Sixteen-year-old Starr Carter moves between two worlds: the poor neighborhood where she lives and the fancy suburban prep school she attends. The uneasy balance between these worlds is shattered when Starr witnesses the fatal shooting of her childhood best friend Khalil at the hands of a police officer. Khalil was unarmed. Soon afterward, his death is a national headline. Some are calling him a thug, maybe even a drug dealer and a gangbanger. Protesters are taking to the streets in Khalil's name. Some cops and the local drug lord try to intimidate Starr and her family. What everyone wants to know is: what really went down that night? And the only person alive who can answer that is Starr. But what Starr does-or does not-say could upend her community. It could also endanger her life.

Inspired by the Black Lives Matter movement, Angie Thomas’s searing debut about an ordinary girl in extraordinary circumstances addresses issues of racism and police violence with intelligence, heart, and unflinching honesty. Soon to be a major motion picture from Fox 2000/Temple Hill Productions.

Soon afterward, his death is a national headline. Some are calling him a thug, maybe even a drug dealer and a gangbanger. Protesters are taking to the streets in Khalil’s name. Some cops and the local drug lord try to intimidate Starr and her family. What everyone wants to know is: what really went down that night? And the only person alive who can answer that is Starr.

But what Starr does—or does not—say could upend her community. It could also endanger her life.

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 03 Jan 2017 10:50:39 -0500)

After witnessing her friend's death at the hands of a police officer, Starr Carter's life is complicated when the police and a local drug lord try to intimidate her in an effort to learn what happened the night Kahlil died.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,811,637 books! | Top bar: Always visible