The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

The Hate U Give (edition 2017)

by Angie Thomas (Author)

Member:NiftyLefty
Title:The Hate U Give
Authors:Angie Thomas (Author)
Info:Balzer Bray (2017), Edition: First Edition Later Printing, 464 pages

The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

English (165)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  All languages (170)
“Sometimes you can do everything right and things will still go wrong. The key is to never stop doing right.”
Angie Thomas, The Hate U Give

The Hate U Give was on my to be read pile for way too long. Since its release in 2017, it has received countless accolades and fantastic reviews. Now I know why! After reading the YA novel, I understand and completely agree with thousands of other readers. The book is relevant, heartbreaking, humorous and important. It reads easily and the story flows at an excellent pace. Although it does have some strong language, I feel it's quite in sync with how teens behave (especially when no adults are around). Thomas gets adolescents and their jargon for sure! Both of my daughters (14 and 26 years old) absolutely loved this book and finished it pretty fast. Also, the movie is quite phenomenal! The Hate U Give is a gripping and thought-provoking book everyone should read!! Especially because it is so relevant in today's world. ( )
  debbiesbooknook | Dec 7, 2018 |
Should be mandatory reading for all Americans! ( )
1 vote cygnet81 | Dec 2, 2018 |
Honestly, a very eye-opening read ( )
  KaylaTheGinger | Nov 29, 2018 |
I was very skeptical about this book. I have a very conservative family whose business is a gun range. I believe all lives matter and we shouldn't be singling people out based on where they live or the color of their skin. Knowing this story was inspired by the Black Lives Matter movement, I was worried this story would come off preachy or in your face political. Thankfully, it is not! The Hate U Give was an amazing, eye-opening, enlightening read! I loved how the author, Angie Thomas, was able to show me from a different point-of-view a very serious problem. The book sparked debates at our dinner table as I kept my family apprised of the story. I even went online afterwards to learn more about some of the topics in the book. I really believe this book should be a part of high school curriculum across the country. Excellent read. ( )
  dms12880 | Nov 29, 2018 |
I love this book. As 'woke' as you think you may be, if you haven't lived this, you should read it and learn. And then pass it on. ( )
  decaturmamaof2 | Nov 28, 2018 |

Angie Thomasprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cartwright, DebraCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mutsaers, JasperTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stempel, JennaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Turpin, BahniNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Sixteen-year-old Starr Carter moves between two worlds: the poor neighborhood where she lives and the fancy suburban prep school she attends. The uneasy balance between these worlds is shattered when Starr witnesses the fatal shooting of her childhood best friend Khalil at the hands of a police officer. Khalil was unarmed. Soon afterward, his death is a national headline. Some are calling him a thug, maybe even a drug dealer and a gangbanger. Protesters are taking to the streets in Khalil's name. Some cops and the local drug lord try to intimidate Starr and her family. What everyone wants to know is: what really went down that night? And the only person alive who can answer that is Starr. But what Starr does-or does not-say could upend her community. It could also endanger her life.

Inspired by the Black Lives Matter movement, Angie Thomas’s searing debut about an ordinary girl in extraordinary circumstances addresses issues of racism and police violence with intelligence, heart, and unflinching honesty. Soon to be a major motion picture from Fox 2000/Temple Hill Productions.

Soon afterward, his death is a national headline. Some are calling him a thug, maybe even a drug dealer and a gangbanger. Protesters are taking to the streets in Khalil’s name. Some cops and the local drug lord try to intimidate Starr and her family. What everyone wants to know is: what really went down that night? And the only person alive who can answer that is Starr.

But what Starr does—or does not—say could upend her community. It could also endanger her life.

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 03 Jan 2017 10:50:39 -0500)

After witnessing her friend's death at the hands of a police officer, Starr Carter's life is complicated when the police and a local drug lord try to intimidate her in an effort to learn what happened the night Kahlil died.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,863,205 books! | Top bar: Always visible