We Are Legion (We Are Bob) by Dennis E.…

We Are Legion (We Are Bob)

by Dennis E. Taylor

Series: Bobiverse (book 1)

Recently added byprivate library, Thebookdiva, rena75, gregflood, pnppl, Oleksandr_Zholud, joshuapaul

This book has a great start: a young Silicon Valley entrepreneur sells his startup to some tech giant and buys cryo-service in case of his death, which of course shortly follows. Here is a slight spoiler of a first few chapters, which shouldn’t discourage from reading them: his virtual mind is used to operate a Von Neumann probe(s), which will roam our galaxy. The rest of the book is about how such probes and intelligences within them live.

The beginning is very strong – reminiscent of [b:The Martian|18007564|The Martian|Andy Weir|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1413706054s/18007564.jpg|21825181] and [b:Rendezvous with Rama|112537|Rendezvous with Rama (Rama, #1)|Arthur C. Clarke|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1405456427s/112537.jpg|1882772]. This is a nice departure from strong social themes, which are common in modern SFF. While I do support most of these issues, I sometimes like to escape to just an old style SF, where discoveries were more important than questions of race, gender or religion. This book is a prime example of such an easy yarn, which is just fun to read.

Alas, as the book progresses it becomes less realistic (which is a strange claim for SF, I know) and more akin mid-20th century SF, with life everywhere and ordinary protagonists, who with ease make mind-blowing discoveries. Therefore, while in the start it was a 5 star read, closer to the end it dropped to 3 stars, thus the final score is actually the average. ( )
  Oleksandr_Zholud | Jan 9, 2019 |
Not quite as engaging as I'd hoped, but I still enjoyed it.
  bookczuk | Dec 18, 2018 |
Not really hard scifi, and quite witty/funny. I really enjoyed this. What does it mean to be human? Or sentient? Are they mutually exclusive? What makes a person a person? I think this starts to point towards really tackling the subject, but never gets too far with it. The interactions between the Bob “clones” I think really started driving there. The personality differences between them not being driven by quantum uncertainty starts the real dialog of sentience, and hopefully will be explored more in the next book.

I really liked Bob, and the multitudes of Bob “clones” for their quirks and personalities, but wish there was more dialog time with some of the other characters. For example, some background on Medeiros, or even any backstory at all would have been nice. I get the overall feel being that of the first person narrative, but it could have come from one of the Bob clones discussing an action based on some past experience. A good example would be the way that the Henry Roberts story line was handled. I think that was excellent, though short lived.

Overall, I really enjoyed this, and will definitely be picking up the 2nd book on amazon soon. ( )
  jons0813 | Oct 27, 2018 |
Shortly after paying to have his head cryogenically preserved upon his death, Bob is hit by a car and killed. He wakes up a century later to find his consciousness has been uploaded into a computer, and he now controls a space probe. His job is to explore the universe, looking for habitable planets for colonization. He is also expected to clone himself into more probes to make the search more efficient. There's a fair amount of philosophical musings and reasonably believable technology, but mostly Bob is just a really likable guy. I've known many Bobs in my life - engineers who love science fiction and fantasy and pop culture, with a special place in their hearts for Star Trek and puns - so these characters have a friendly familiarity that I latched onto immediately. I'm glad I knew this was the first book of trilogy going in, though, as there isn't a whole lot in the way of a plot arc. Things happen, don't get me wrong, but there's still a lot left unresolved at the end. Which is great, actually, because I couldn't wait for more. ( )
  melydia | Oct 7, 2018 |
Interesting variety of ratings this book has gotten. My guess is the higher ratings have listened to the audio, rather than reading it in print. The narrator, Ray Porter, really brings this to life. He catches and shares all of the humor that might be obscured otherwise. He gives just the right amount of snark, as needed.

Bob is a problem solver. And a decent human. Thank the gods! He is set free from many human limitations and allowed to let his strengths lead. In his many variations, he remains, at least in this book, a humanitarian. ( )
  2wonderY | Aug 23, 2018 |

Taylor, Dennis E.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Porter, RayNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I would like to dedicate this book to my wife, Blaihin, who not only puts up with my writing but supports it, and to my daughter Tina, who completed our family.
"So...You'll cut my head off."

"Bob Johansson has just sold his software company and is looking forward to a life of leisure. There are places to go, books to read, and movies to watch. So it's a little unfair when he gets himself killed crossing the street. Bob wakes up a century later to find that corpsicles have been declared to be without rights, and he is now the property of the state. He has been uploaded into computer hardware and is slated to be the controlling AI in an interstellar probe looking for habitable planets. The stakes are high: no less than the first claim to entire worlds. If he declines the honor, he'll be switched off, and they'll try again with someone else. If he accepts, he becomes a prime target. There are at least three other countries trying to get their own probes launched first, and they play dirty. The safest place for Bob is in space, heading away from Earth at top speed. Or so he thinks. Because the universe is full of nasties, and trespassers make them mad - very mad."--Goodreads… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,685,782 books! | Top bar: Always visible