Freedom's Landing (Catteni 1) by Anne…

Freedom's Landing (Catteni 1) (original 1997; edition 1996)

by Anne Mccaffrey

Member:ddeej56
Title:Freedom's Landing (Catteni 1)
Authors:Anne Mccaffrey
Info:Corgi (1996), Paperback, 384 pages
Tags:ebook, calibre

Freedom's Landing by Anne McCaffrey (1997)

Good writing, but I don't enjoy the story, so I'm laying it down after reading 25%.
  ajlewis2 | Jul 11, 2018 |
Yeahhh. So decided to spend the afternoon doing a little window shopping (viz. going online, checking out book covers (viz. specifically Michael Whelan galleries - yes one of my favourite ways to get recs lol) and series lists and author bibliographies and reading all dem reviews...) and I stumble upon this cover. There are two things things I remember when I see it: i) The year I read this book (I borrowed it from the library); and, ii) (that after I finished it) feeling sad that I would probably not read the continuation anytime soon (hence the 4-star rating since that probably meant "I really liked it" - haha). Thing is I have just the vaguest recollection of what it was about. Oh man - another series to re-read/TBR. >_> ( )
  kephradyx | Jun 20, 2017 |
aliens invade earth, take lots of prisoners. A bunch get dumped on a new planet to see if it is safe" for the alien overlords. Main character is a woman. She falls in love with one of the alien overlords, who has been abandoned on the planet with them all. Ok, but nothing that I really liked. Might read the next couple, might not. Depends on how I'm feeling I guess." ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
It has been way too long since I’ve read Anne McCaffrey, and how I have missed her. This series has been on my to-read list for years and years, so when the ReadThemAll challenge came up, hosted by Read At Midnight, I knew that I needed to use this as my Boulder Badge entry.

This book was slow going for me for most of the beginning. The very beginning was super interesting, where we meet Kris and learn about how she’s been kidnapped from Earth and is basically a slave to the Catteni, but when she gets dumped on the empty planet with Zainal, a rogue Catteni who landed himself in some trouble with his own people, I struggled a lot. Once everything got explained and set up, it was fine, but the first 80 pages or so were a slog for me.

With that said, I’ve really missed McCaffrey’s science fiction — this is the science fiction I grew up with and I have missed it so, so much. In terms of pure story, it’s wonderful, with the survival/colonization/new planet discovery aspect, with the characters discovering new technology and constantly finding themselves in danger they didn’t realize was around. It’s super realistic in terms of the characters needing to figure out what they need to have a balanced diet, how they’re going to handle hygiene and sickness, etc.

In terms of larger themes, McCaffrey has insightful and incisive commentary on race relations based on how other aliens are treated by humans, even though they’re also Catteni slaves and put in the same situation as humans — sometimes even with fewer tools and privileges for survival, like needing special nutrients for their diet that just aren’t really easy to get on the planet they’re trapped on.

One of the things I most appreciated about this novel was the way romances very slowly and organically came about. There was no, “Oh my god s/he is so hot and I need to have her right now, even though we’re all struggling to even just eat on this new planet,” which is sadly too common in some novels. Whenever romance popped up, it made sense in the context, and there was no sex for the sake of sex during times that didn’t really make any sense. Perfectly done and I wish I read more stories that were able to handle it so realistically.

Overall, this is a solid start to a science fiction series that I’m looking forward to continuing, and for those who like survivalist stories with a science fiction edge, or even just McCaffrey fans, you should give it a read!

Originally posted on Going on to the Next. ( )
  sedelia | Aug 24, 2016 |
One I'd forgotten about but I'm glad to have re-read.

http://allbookedup-elena.blogspot.ca/2014/08/freedoms-landing-anne-mccaffrey.htm... ( )
  ElenaGwynne | Aug 26, 2014 |

Anne McCaffreyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kukalis,RomasCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to the memory of a special fan/friend, Judy Voros. Hope heaven has chocolate (but it must!).
Kristin Bjornsen wondered if summer on the planet Barevi could possibly be the only season.

Kristin Bjornsen's normal life is irrevocably changed by the arrival of Catteni slaving ships, and in the wake of her people's capture, she begins a desperate fight for freedom. Reprint. PW. AB.

Kristin Bjornsen lived a normal life, right up until the day the Catteni ships floated into view above Denver. Now, as human slaves are herded into the maw of a massive vessel, Kristin realizes that her normal life is over, and her fight for freedom is just beginning.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,407,002 books! | Top bar: Always visible