Friday's Child by Georgette Heyer

Friday's Child (1944)

by Georgette Heyer

Cotillion by Georgette Heyer (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Both books feature heroines who have lived all their lives in the country and are brought to London to be introduced into the ton, attend masquerade balls, and be spirited away by their respective unlikely knights whenever they fall unwittingly into social error. But somehow Heyer manipulates the various circumstances and events in such a way that the drama of each story is distinct, memorable, and moving.… (more)
    The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer (moonsoar)
    moonsoar: The main females in both books are up to the same sort of shenanigans in both books.
    A Hazard of Hearts by Barbara Cartland (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: very similar books

English (42)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (44)
One of my old favorites of Heyer's, I din't enjoy it as much on this reread. The heroine and hero were two childish for my current taste. But I remember liking it very much when I first read it, particularly the humor. ( )
  phyllis2779 | Feb 7, 2018 |
A book that made me laugh out loud more than once. Absolutely hilarious in the most light-hearted of ways. ( )
  JBD1 | Feb 2, 2018 |
Ms. Heyer throws two babies together and then lets the sparks fly. Sherry is an innocent wastrel (if that is possible) and through a fit of pique marries the even more innocent Hero who worships the ground he walks on. As Sherry begins to cope with Hero's "hero" worship of him - following his example as she learns to negotiate the London society he walks in - Sherry begins to see just where his actions are taking him. It is rewarding to watch Sherry begin to grow up and for Hero to find the love she is craving. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Jan 1, 2018 |
Eh. It's labeled a "romantic comedy" - not funny to me. It's sitcom-type humor - watching people make the wrong decisions, over and over. As a romance, it's mildly cute; Hero is so sweet I don't mind her being an idiot (unlike Heyer's usual idiots, who tend to be mean-minded). Sherry is no older, mentally and emotionally, than Hero - despite being 5 years older. I think the Trust was an _excellent_ idea, though Sherry did eventually develop some brains. Their completely unconsummated marriage is rather weird - neither one thinks of the other in that way at all. At least, not until the end of the story - there's hope, at that point. The determined misunderstandings at the end are somewhat annoying, and I'm pleased that Tarleton managed to cut through the mess (though that's not what he intended!). I enjoyed it, more or less, though it was rather long. Not sure if I'll bother to reread. ( )
1 vote jjmcgaffey | Sep 29, 2017 |
Endearing story of Hero & Sherry [young marriage and maturing relationship]. Class manners and period details add to the historic veracity. One of Heyer's better novels. ( )
  SandyAMcPherson | Jun 19, 2017 |
“Nonsense” is certainly one word to describe Georgette Heyer’s Friday’s Child, an amusing romp of a novel about the early months of a marriage between two excessively silly and immature people in Regency London. ... It is thoroughly unbelievable, but it works because it is also thoroughly funny, and because, beneath all the silliness and froth, it offers a surprisingly serious look at gender roles, marriage and growing up.
added by lquilter | editTor.com, Mari Ness (Mar 26, 2013)

Heyer, Georgetteprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Matheson, EveNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Do not, I beg of you, my lord, say more!" uttered Miss Millbourne, in imploring accents, slightly averting her lovely countenance, and clasping both hands at her bosom.

Rejected by the woman he deeply craves, the incomparable Miss Milborne, for his unsteadiness of character, wild Viscount Sheringham is bent on avenging fate and coming into his fortune. Rebellious young Sherry could not gain his inheritance until he married, he leaves his mother's house and on a passionate impulse, he vowed to marry the next woman he saw. But the very first woman he sees is his life-long friend Hero Wantage, a young and charmingly unsophisticated girl. To orphaned, pixie-ish Hero, who has secretly loved him since childhood, it seemed like a star-studded dream when dashing Lord Sheringham asked her to be his bride--for although she knew it was a marriage of convenience (his convenience), it eliminated the depressing prospect of life as a governess. It seems that this marriage might solve all their problems.

Back in London, Hero soon discovers the glamorous social scene and strives to make a name for herself among the right circles. But their marriage soon became a frenetic comedy of errors, as Hero tried to keep up with the fashionable and very unfamiliar society in which she now found herself. From chariot races to gambling tables to exclusive drawing rooms, an exasperated Sherry followed in his wife's wake, trying to clear the air after her well-intentioned but scatterbrained escapades. But when Sherry intervenes, fearing she’ll embarrass them both, misunderstandings pile up, friendships are tested and hearts are pushed to breaking point. And it was with great surprise that both Hero and Sherry discovered that even a marriage of convenience can turn into a love affair, under certain circumstances....

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006100166X, Paperback)

Young Lord Sheringham, rejected by the woman he deeply loved, could not gain his inheritance until he married. On a passionate impulse, he vowed to marry the next woman he saw. Enter Hero Wantage, the adorable life-long friend who has secretly loved Sheringham her entire life. Regency Romance reissue.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:52 -0400)

Rejected by society for his wild ways, Lord Sheringham is bent on avenging fate and coming into his fortune. But the very first woman he meets is Hero Wantage, the young and charmingly unsophisticated chit who has loved him since childhood.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,471,394 books! | Top bar: Always visible