Friday's Child by Georgette Heyer

Friday's Child (original 1944; edition 2008)

by Georgette Heyer

Member:skiourophile
Title:Friday's Child
Authors:Georgette Heyer
Info:Sourcebooks Casablanca (2008), Kindle Edition, 435 pages
Collections:Your library, Kindle

Friday's Child by Georgette Heyer (1944)

Recently added byotterlake, Irena., Kays_Kindle, private library, SueinCyprus, thea-block
    Cotillion by Georgette Heyer (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Both books feature heroines who have lived all their lives in the country and are brought to London to be introduced into the ton, attend masquerade balls, and be spirited away by their respective unlikely knights whenever they fall unwittingly into social error. But somehow Heyer manipulates the various circumstances and events in such a way that the drama of each story is distinct, memorable, and moving.… (more)
    The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer (moonsoar)
    moonsoar: The main females in both books are up to the same sort of shenanigans in both books.

English (38)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (40)

If there weren't so many apologies (the number of times someone apologizes is staggering; I believe Hero missed to apologize she was born), I would love this book a bit more. Everything is so exaggerated that I wouldn't be able not to.
I like the basic premise: after his marriage offer to the Incomparable (yes, capital I) Miss Isabella Milborne is refused, Viscount Sheringham decides he would marry the first woman he sees. Enter another childhood friend, Hero Wantage. I would have loved her if not for all the damn apologies.

Anyway, they do marry and basically you get this comedy of errors. There are so many misunderstandings, it's no wonder neither the two main characters nor their friends could do anything without making a mess of things.

I hated Viscount's mother (she never does redeem herself) and I was both annoyed and felt sorry for Isabella. She managed not to make up her mind for the whole book. And it's not even her book. At least her choice is the right one. I loved George not only because of his loyalty to his friends, his love of Isabella, but also for the way he treated Hero.

The best part is when their friends juggle between Hero and Sherry. They want to help them both, but sometimes their wishes simply clash. The point of the book is for the Viscount to see how much he fell in love with his wife. Plus some gambling, duels, kidnapping (sort of), lots of talk of tearing people's limbs off, a knife fight. You know, the usual. ( )
  Irena. | Jan 28, 2016 |
Sherry, a rather reckless young man, does something in haste which was not necessarily wise. Delightful characters, fast-moving plot, very well-written and enjoyable. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
An entertaining regency novel, although I thought the last third of the book didn't live up to the first two thirds. ( )
  cazfrancis | Mar 22, 2015 |
Georgette Heyer's sweetest romance. I laugh and cry every time I read this story and cheer with Hero as she wins Anthony's heart.
  CarriePalmer | May 2, 2014 |
Cute story with delightful characters. One of the very best Heyers. ( )
  LadyWesley | Sep 25, 2013 |
"Do not, I beg of you, my lord, say more!" uttered Miss Millbourne, in imploring accents, slightly averting her lovely countenance, and clasping both hands at her bosom.

Rejected by Miss Milbourne, the Incomparable, for his unsteadiness of character, wild Lord Sheringham flies back to London in a rage, bent on avenging Fate. Vowing to marry the first woman to cross his way, who should he see but Hero Wantage, the young and charmingly unsophisticated girl, who has loved him since childhood...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006100166X, Paperback)

Young Lord Sheringham, rejected by the woman he deeply loved, could not gain his inheritance until he married. On a passionate impulse, he vowed to marry the next woman he saw. Enter Hero Wantage, the adorable life-long friend who has secretly loved Sheringham her entire life. Regency Romance reissue.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:52 -0400)

Rejected by society for his wild ways, Lord Sheringham is bent on avenging fate and coming into his fortune. But the very first woman he meets is Hero Wantage, the young and charmingly unsophisticated chit who has loved him since childhood.

Sourcebooks Casablanca

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Casablanca.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,254,891 books! | Top bar: Always visible