Friday's Child by Georgette Heyer

Friday's Child (original 1944; edition 2008)

by Georgette Heyer

Member:skiourophile
Title:Friday's Child
Authors:Georgette Heyer
Info:Sourcebooks Casablanca (2008), Kindle Edition, 435 pages
Collections:Your library, Kindle

Friday's Child by Georgette Heyer (1944)

Cotillion by Georgette Heyer (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Both books feature heroines who have lived all their lives in the country and are brought to London to be introduced into the ton, attend masquerade balls, and be spirited away by their respective unlikely knights whenever they fall unwittingly into social error. But somehow Heyer manipulates the various circumstances and events in such a way that the drama of each story is distinct, memorable, and moving.… (more)
    The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer (moonsoar)
    moonsoar: The main females in both books are up to the same sort of shenanigans in both books.

English (35)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (37)
Georgette Heyer's sweetest romance. I laugh and cry every time I read this story and cheer with Hero as she wins Anthony's heart.
  CarriePalmer | May 2, 2014 |
Cute story with delightful characters. One of the very best Heyers. ( )
  LadyWesley | Sep 25, 2013 |
Rejected by the incomparable beauty Miss Milbourne, and stung by the criticisms of his mama, young Lord Sheringham vows to marry the next woman he sees, making good on his promise when he encounters his naive and penniless neighbor, Miss Hero Wantage, on the road to London. This impetuous action leads to any number of amusing escapades, for neither had the least notion of what it means to be married...

An engaging read, Friday's Child has been compared unfavorably to Heyer's earlier novel, The Convenient Marriage, which also features the story of a very young heroine and her unexpected marriage. While I agree that the characters of Sherry and "Kitten" - the one so immature, the other so passive - leave something to be desired, I cannot help but feel that to compare them to Rule and Horry (of The Convenient Marriage) is to miss the point. This is a tale of growing up and realizing where one's heart lies, and it is hard to imagine how Heyer could have told her story if Sherry had been as sophisticated and knowing as Lord Rule.

That said, I am in agreement that The Convenient Marriage is the more enjoyable novel, and Rule the more desirable hero. I imagine this says quite as much about my own requirements in a romance as it does about Heyer's work... ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Jun 25, 2013 |
Either I've overdosed on Heyer in the past two weeks, or this book really did hit my embarrassment squick hard. I kind of despise everyone in this story, including the protagonists -- people this stupid should not get happy endings, damn it. I kept wanting to lock Hero away in a damn tower with nothing but serious books, punch Sherry in the face for his casual selfishness, and take everyone's money away. NO ONE in this is a grownup, and that was what I loved so about [b:Frederica|311196|Frederica|Georgette Heyer|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1173644878s/311196.jpg|2128291]. I think I will be taking a break from Regency until Grand Sophy is back in the library. ( )
  cricketbats | Apr 18, 2013 |
'Friday's Child' may be my favorite Heyer. It was just so airy and amusing and comical, and like Cotillion, I really came to love the characters so much that I didn't want to leave them at the end. I loved Sherry's good natured selfishness and Kitten's impulsive curiosity and George's hot-blooded romanticism (If the book were set now, he would totally be Emo!) and Ferdy and Gil! ( )
  shojo_a | Apr 4, 2013 |
"Do not, I beg of you, my lord, say more!" uttered Miss Millbourne, in imploring accents, slightly averting her lovely countenance, and clasping both hands at her bosom.

Rejected by Miss Milbourne, the Incomparable, for his unsteadiness of character, wild Lord Sheringham flies back to London in a rage, bent on avenging Fate. Vowing to marry the first woman to cross his way, who should he see but Hero Wantage, the young and charmingly unsophisticated girl, who has loved him since childhood...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006100166X, Paperback)

Young Lord Sheringham, rejected by the woman he deeply loved, could not gain his inheritance until he married. On a passionate impulse, he vowed to marry the next woman he saw. Enter Hero Wantage, the adorable life-long friend who has secretly loved Sheringham her entire life. Regency Romance reissue.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:40 -0400)

Rejected by society for his wild ways, Lord Sheringham is bent on avenging fate and coming into his fortune. But the very first woman he meets is Hero Wantage, the young and charmingly unsophisticated chit who has loved him since childhood.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Sourcebooks Casablanca

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Casablanca.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,552,472 books! | Top bar: Always visible