Murder on the Serpentine by Anne Perry

Murder on the Serpentine

by Anne Perry

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Queen requires Pitt's help and Charlotte and Emily get back into the game. Two murders posed as suicides force Pitt to enter the high and murky world of palace intrigue with perhaps another Boer War as a possible result. With the covert but capable assistance of the ladies, he identifies the culprit. But, can he bring him to justice? Another excellent story from an outstanding author. ( )
  jamespurcell | Jul 3, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I won this as an ER book. It took quite a while to get to me, but I am so happy that it did!

I love Anne Perry's writing and I thought this was a particularly good book – the great plot and suberb characters of course, but also reading how life and political times are changing in Victorian England, as well as the aging of Victoria herself.

One of the things I enjoyed most about this book was getting to know Thomas and Charlotte Pitt even more than I thought possible. The last couple dozen pages are outstanding. ( )
  RaucousRain | Oct 29, 2017 |
A grand mystery involving our Thomas trying to save Queen Victoria and Prince Edward from embarrassment. A wonderful mix of mystery and British History. As usual, Anne a Perry transported me back to Victorian England and Thomas and Charlotte Pitt working together once more...but this time to save the Crown! Another excellent novel in this beloved series. ( )
  silversurfer | Apr 30, 2017 |
In this book we see Commander Pitt all on his own while dealing with a treason, murder and political case that he has been asked to investigate by Queen Victoria herself. The Queen is concerned because one of her trusted advisors has been found dead in the shallow waters of the Serpentine River, which is located right in Hyde Park. Why was he out there in the middle of the night, and how could he have drowned in such shallow water? She enlists Pitt's help while asking him to keep the investigation to himself. Pitt discovers a lot more than a silly accident. He finds treason, a long series of lies and coverups, and it extends right to the highest echelons of London society. Anne Perry does such a good job of crafting her mysteries around the dark serets and dark alleyways of Victorian London. In this book, we see Thomas reach a crossroads in his career as Commander of Special Branch. The rewards could be great, but the ignominy of failure could be catastrophic too. The reason I gave 4 stars rather than 5 is that there is really no mystery here. We know, and so does Thomas, who the killer is almost from the beginning of the investigation. It's still a worthy addition to this wonderful series. ( )
  Romonko | Apr 17, 2017 |
The latest installment in Anne Perry's Charlotte & Thomas Pitt mystery series finds Pitt called to an audience with Queen Victoria and given the job of finding how Sir John Halberd really died. His body had been found face down by a boat in the Serpentine, but the Queen is suspicious. He had been investigating something for her that involved the Price of Wales, so was it an unfortunate accident or was foul play involved?

As with the recent stories (now that Pitt has been appointed to be head of Special Branch), Charlotte cannot appear to be officially helping Pitt with his cases. He proceeds in his stoic and somewhat priggish way, while she and her sister Emily go sub rosa into London society to dig up clues and facts. It's taken a while for Perry to work out this new relationship, but I believe with this book she has struck the right note, an the story moves briskly to it's conclusion with a special new reward for Pitt at the end.

We're coming to the end of the Victorian era. I wonder how this detective duo will fare during the reign of Edward VII ( )
  etxgardener | Apr 16, 2017 |

In the history of Anne Perry’s bestselling Victorian mystery series, the stakes have never been greater than now—as a mission for queen and country places the future of the British Empire squarely in Thomas Pitt’s hands.

It is not the custom for the commander of Special Branch to receive a royal summons—so Thomas Pitt knows it must be for a matter of the gravest importance. The body of Sir John Halberd, the Queen’s confidant, has been found in the shallow water of the Serpentine in Hyde Park, bearing the evidence of a fatal blow to the head. At Her Majesty’s request, Sir John had been surreptitiously investigating Alan Kendrick, a horse-racing enthusiast who seems to have had an undue amount of influence on her son, the Prince of Wales.

Now Commander Pitt must navigate the corridors of power with the utmost discretion and stealth, for it seems certain that Sir John’s killer is a member of the upper classes. Aided by his wife, Charlotte, and her social contacts, Pitt seeks out the hidden motives behind the polite façade of those to the manner born—and uncovers a threat to the throne that could topple the monarchy.

With Murder on the Serpentine, Thomas Pitt nears a crossroads in his brilliant career—one that promises new challenges, both professional and personal, still to be met. But first, he and Charlotte must conquer the twists and turns of suspense master Anne Perry’s most cunningly crafted plot yet—to achieve their finest hour, or suffer their darkest.

PRAISE FOR ANNE PERRY’S CHARLOTTE AND THOMAS PITT NOVELS

Treachery at Lancaster Gate

“A story that is as exciting and tense as it is revealing and thought-provoking.”—Yorkshire Evening Post

The Angel Court Affair

“Perry melds the intellectual debates of the day with a suspenseful plot line.”Publishers Weekly

Death on Blackheath

“Thoroughly enjoyable and entertaining . . . The period detail is beautifully done, and realistic characters and tense action are woven seamlessly together.”Historical Novels Review

Midnight at Marble Arch

“Sweeping and scandalous . . . Perry has perfected a delicate touch.”The New York Times Book Review

Dorchester Terrace

“The always clever Anne Perry infuses Dorchester Terrace with the right amount of intrigue and complex relationships that have made this prolific series one of the finest in modern mystery fiction.”Bookreporter

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 26 Nov 2016 23:58:08 -0500)

Privately summoned by Queen Victoria when one of her closest confidantes is found murdered, Thomas Pitt navigates the secretive world of London society in what becomes the most dangerous case of his career.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Anne Perry's book Murder on the Serpentine was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,840,696 books! | Top bar: Always visible