Glory Road by Robert A. Heinlein

Glory Road

by Robert A. Heinlein

English (30)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All (34)
It has been years since I last read this book and I worried that it wouldn't hold up to the warm fuzzy feeling I had after reading it back then.

This time I thoroughly enjoyed the book, but it is certainly a product of the mid 1960s.This science fantasy (fantasy with trappings of science fiction) was obviously written for a male audience. However as is typical of Heinlein, the female lead, Star, is super competent and perfectly capable of doing what she needs to in order to accomplish her goals.

About two-thirds of the book is the adventure. The last part is what happens after the adventure ends and Oscar Gordon, Hero, has a life to lead. As an adult, I found this section quite interesting.

I think if you like fantasy, you'll like this book, if you keep in mind its history. ( )
1 vote Jean_Sexton | Jul 4, 2017 |
Spunky and implausible Heinlein that mixes sci-fi and fantasy. Ignore Heinlein's take on the modern day and enjoy the first-person story - a story that is fun, if particularly PC. ( )
1 vote dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
This is my favorite Robert Heinlein book. It is great fun.

jerry-book
  jerry-book | Jan 26, 2016 |
This is one of the weakest of Heinlein's books. It's more fantasy than SF, in spite of trying to trying to claim that 'magic' is simply science in a universe with different physical rules.
I also found Star's willingness to submit to Oscar's wishes a little off-putting. Yes, she may be manipulating him, but it still feels more like male fantasy.
It's partly a product of the time when it was written. Star may well count as a strong female character for fantasy novels back in 1963 (after all, she is an incredibly powerful political figure) ( )
1 vote JudithProctor | Jan 23, 2016 |
I'm revising my rating of this. For some reason when I first added it I was using particularly rosy eyewear.

I like Heinlein. I do. I just think I like his ideas better than his writing - the only Heinlein I've enjoyed all the way through were his more young-adult books, like Podkayne or Have Spacesuit Will Travel.

Glory Road is a frustrating read. All his characters are perfect, or perfectly bad. You can guarantee that if someone walks onto the page and they're not perfect, then within five minutes you'll discover that they are, actually, perfect. It was just hidden by your prejudice about them being, say, a beautiful woman, who must be ditzy. But no! Turns out she's a superhuman genius too. This is fine given the time in which a lot of his books were written, but he doesn't half harp on about it. The same scenario plays out dozens of times. We get it. We don't need it.

The story is wish-fulfilment fantasy, barely disguised as SF, with wasted chapters on issues irrelevant to the plot which might have served as character development if the characters had anything to develop.

This book fits in well with things like Stranger in a Strange Land and Number of the Beast as being far too long, and far too boring. This time round, I didn't make it all the way through. ( )
  moopet | Jul 25, 2015 |

Robert A. Heinleinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Amsterdam, Jos vanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lehr, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lundgren, CarlCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pennington, BruceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
BRITANNUS (shocked): Caesar, this is not proper.

THEODOTUS (outraged): HOW?

CAESAR (recovering his self-possession):
Pardon him. Theodotus: he is a barbarian, and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature.

Caesar and Cleopatra, Act II
GEORGE BERNARD SHAW
For George H. Scithers and the regular patrons of the Terminus, Owlswick, and Ft. Mudge Electric Street Railway
I know a place where there is no smog and no parking problem and no population explosion ... no Cold War and no H-bombs and no television commercials ... no Summit Conferences, no Foreign Aid, no hidden taxes - no income tax.

"ARE YOU A COWARD? This is not for you. We badly need a brave man. He must be 23 to 25 years old, in perfect health, at least six feet tall, weigh about 190 pounds, fluent English, with some French, proficient in all weapons, some knowledge of engineering and mathematics essential, willing to travel, no family or emotional ties, indomitably courageous and handsome of face and figure. Permanent employment, very high pay, glorious adventure, great danger. You must apply in person, rue Dante, Nice, 2me étage, apt. D."

Robert A. Heinlein's one true fantasy novel, Glory Road is as much fun today as when he wrote it after Stranger in a Strange Land. Heinlein proves himself as adept with sword and sorcery as with rockets and slide rules and the result is exciting, satirical, fast-paced, funny and tremendously readable -- a favorite of all who have read it. Glory Road is a masterpiece of escapist entertainment with a typically Heinleinian sting in its tail. Tor is proud to return this all-time classic to hardcover to be discovered by a new generation of readers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:56 -0400)

"E. C. "Scar" Gordon was on the French Riviera recovering from a tour of combat in Southeast Asia , but he hadn't given up his habit of scanning the Personals in the newspaper. One ad in particular leapt out at him:" ""Are You A Coward? This is not for you. We badly need a brave man. He must be 23 to 25 years old, in perfect health, at least six feet tall, weigh about 190 pounds, fluent English, with some French, proficient in all weapons, some knowledge of engineering and mathematics essential, willing to travel, no family or emotional ties, indomitably courageous and handsome of face and figure. Permanent employment, very high pay, glorious adventure, great danger. You must apply in person, rue Dante, Nice, 2me etage, apt. D."" "How could you not answer an ad like that, especially when it seemed to describe you perfectly? Well, except maybe for the "handsome" part, but that was in the eye of the beholder anyway. So he went to that apartment and was greeted by the most beautiful woman he'd ever met. She seemed to have many names, but agreed he could call her "Star." A pretty appropriate name, as it turned out, for the empress of twenty universes."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,506,262 books! | Top bar: Always visible