Glory Season by David Brin

Glory Season

by David Brin

(4) 1993 (4) 20th century (5) Brin (8) clones (12) cloning (10) David Brin (6) ebook (6) fantasy (20) feminism (8) fiction (93) gender (8) hardcover (9) Hugo Nominee (5) matriarchy (7) mmpb (5) novel (17) own (6) paperback (12) pb (3) read (10) science fiction (290) sf (78) sff (23) signed (10) speculative fiction (5) to-read (7) twins (5) unread (6) women (4)
    Grass by Sheri S. Tepper (Sassm)
    Sassm: These books share certain themes that I won't outline at risk of spoiling, and are both enjoyable reads. Someone who enjoyed Glory Season would probably be intrigued by Grass. I won't make the recommendation reciprocal, as I believe that Glory Season works best as an adventure/soap story rather than fitting the criteria of 'feminist science fiction' - somebody looking for that may not be looking for this book.… (more)
    The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin (ultimatebookwyrm)
    ultimatebookwyrm: Two books in the nature of a thought experiment with regard to gender and social construction. Slow, methodical reads that aren't afraid to say a few things that won't be popular.
    Ethan of Athos by Lois McMaster Bujold (ultimatebookwyrm)
    ultimatebookwyrm: Build a world - and the conspiracy will come. If you found Glory Season a bit slow-paced or vague on biological concepts, Ethan of Athos is the book for you.

I got 200 pages in before getting too bored to finish. ( )
  knownever | Jul 1, 2014 |
NIL
  rustyoldboat | May 28, 2011 |
A forgettable book stuck in between the first and second Uplift Trilogies.

Brin's typical world building prowess shines brightly, but the characters are weak and in the end I didn't care what happened to them as long as the book finally ended. ( )
  brainshades | Mar 24, 2010 |
I really enjoyed this novel, even as the premise was disturbing. On the planet Stratos, men are few and are genetically altered to only be interested in women during very few months, keeping them docile. They are also severely restricted in what jobs they can have. There are no marriages. Most women procreate by cloning, 'sparked' with the assistance of men, but that's all. The book is about exploring the ramifications of such a society, and particularly about the few non-clone women who have almost as few rights as the men.
While the premise was disturbing, I though Brin treated it well. The ending was a little weak, it almost felt like another book was intended. ( )
  Karlstar | Mar 1, 2010 |
It bothers me so much that there will never be a sequel to this book. And the developments in cloning since this book were written have rendered it's premise unlikely. But the story of a clone society with men and conventionally-born women as oppressed minorities on a far-away planet was very thought provoking to me when I was 16 and had held up well to multiple readings. ( )
  ewalrath | Jul 17, 2009 |

David Brinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ruddell, GaryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
We would have every path laid open to women.... Were this done... we would see crystallizations more pure and of more various beauty. We believe the divine energy would pervade nature to a degree unknown in the history of former ages, and that no discordant collision, but a ravishing harmony of the spheres, would ensue.
-Margaret Fuller
To Cheryl Ann
who rescued Maia from Flatland
and me from loneliness
Twenty-six months before her second birthday, Maia learned the true difference between winter and summer.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553567675, Mass Market Paperback)

Hugo and Nebula award-winning author David Brin is one of the most eloquent, imaginative voices in science fiction.  Now he returns with a new novel rich in texture, universal in theme, monumental in scope--pushing the genre to new heights.

Young Maia is fast approaching a turning point in her life.  As a half-caste var, she must leave the clan home of her privileged half sisters and seek her fortune in the world.  With her twin sister, Leie, she searches the docks of Port Sanger for an apprenticeship aboard the vessels that sail the trade routes of the Stratoin oceans.

On her far-reaching, perilous journey of discovery, Maia will endure hardship and hunger, imprisonment and loneliness, bloody battles with pirates and separation from her twin.  And along the way, she will meet a traveler who has come an unimaginable distance--and who threatens the delicate balance of the Stratoins' carefully maintained, perfect society....

Both exciting and insightful, Glory Season is a major novel, a transcendent saga of the human spirit.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:31 -0400)

Maia, a gene-mixed young woman born on a planet of clones, leaves Stratos Colony to seek a place in the world.

David Brin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,480,284 books! | Top bar: Always visible