Ten Dead Comedians: A Murder Mystery by Fred…

Ten Dead Comedians: A Murder Mystery

by Fred Van Lente

Nope, not for me, not even funny ( )
  jimifenway | Sep 24, 2017 |
I won a copy of this book from Goodreads and was so excited. It sounded like it would be such a fun read. Man was I wrong.

I honestly thought I would enjoy this book but unfortunately it just wasn’t for me. I didn’t really find it funny, I didn’t like any of the characters, and I found it to be predictable. Half way through the book I figured out who the killer was and how they were doing it.

It seems like this is a love it or hate it kind of book. I didn’t hate it, but I didn’t like it. I thought it was just okay. However, other people have given it four or five stars. This isn’t a book I would recommend, but if it sounds good to you, I wouldn’t say don’t read it. You might be one of those people who enjoyed it. The writing was good, so I would like to give this author another chance. ( )
  TheTreeReader | Jul 7, 2017 |
I received an ARC of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This did not affect my opinion of the book or my review itself.

A group of stand up comedians is brought to a mysterious isolated island, seemingly to be part of a new project by the most famous comedian in existance. But they quickly discover not all is what it seems, as they begin to be killed off one by one.

I'm immediately in for any book that is an homage to And Then There Were None, one of my top three favorite books of all time. I loved all the little touches that referenced the mystery great, whether it was the island setting, or the headshots on the wall (instead of little statues), or the video accusation (instead of a record). What also drew me to this book is that it promised to be a decidedly unique take on a classic with the cast of characters Van Lente presented.

This was a mystery that definitely kept me guessing! There were a lot of great twists and turns, especially a well-done big twist at the end.

I felt the motivation behind the killings rang a little thin. It didn't seem enough necessarily within the context of the book for the murderer to have gone to such great lengths to kill this specific group of people.

It was also sometimes hard, I felt, to translate stand up comedy to the written page. There were a lot of transcripts of monologue performances that didn't always work for me.

If you are looking for a quick mystery read that is a fun, unique take on one of the best mysteries of all time, I would recommend this book. I had fun reading it, and it flew by. ( )
  seasonsoflove | Jul 1, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,320,921 books! | Top bar: Always visible