Law of the Wolf Tower by Tanith Lee

Law of the Wolf Tower (original 1998; edition 2000)

5581117,869 (3.68)1 / 15
Member:catfantastic
Title:Law of the Wolf Tower
Authors:Tanith Lee
Info:Trafalgar Square (2000), Paperback, 240 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, young adult, fantasy, read in 2012

Wolf Tower by Tanith Lee (1998)

An enjoyable read, especially for young teens. It was one of my favorite books at that age. Since it's written in diary form, the style can be a bit slow. If you stick with the whole series, the read is definitely worth it. ( )
  Tigerlily12 | Jul 8, 2014 |
Wolf Tower
by Tanith Lee

I enjoyed this book when I read it—it got a little star in my book notebook which is the equivalent of about a four star rating—but now that I’m thinking about it later, I’m realizing that this was essentially an apathy rating. I wasn’t blown away by it but it was solidly good. There were a few quibbles I had.

First, Claidi’s voice seemed a little unsettled to me, like the author wasn’t quite sure how old she was or how old the readers were. Sometimes it seemed very young adult, sometimes a couple of years younger. I suppose you could make a case for that given that Claidi was both very protected and forced into adulthood. However, it felt less like a device and more like an actual problem.

Second, what with the beautiful gardens and the Waste and the balloons, I kept making these connections to The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, which was extremely distracting. I was expecting the whole way through for it to suddenly fall into some sort of back-story for the Oz books. When it didn’t, I was just confused. Now, granted this may be the fault of my mind making connections where it shouldn’t. But really, when you start talking about an oasis in a desert called the Waste and then add in balloonists, I start to get suspicious.

All in all, I enjoyed this, despite these issues. I’ll be interested to see where the series (four books) goes.

Recommended.
  maureene87 | Apr 4, 2013 |
Wolf Tower

Recommended.
  | Apr 4, 2013 | edit |
While Tanith Lee writes both fantasy and scifi I would have to say that
my favorite genre of hers is fantasy.
She has a unique voice when she weaves classic fairy tales into her
Own unique works.
The wolf tower series is no different. A delight to read a keeper to the collection! ( )
  batpunch | Dec 3, 2012 |
Interesting to see Tanith Lee write for a younger audience. I wanted to love this book more than I did. It was an okay and diverting read, but there were parts where my interest lagged or I got annoyed with it.

Told in the form of diary entries, we learn the story of Claidi, an orphan and slave in the House and Garden. The House and Garden is kept meticulously beautiful, tended by slaves and featuring lions on jeweled leashes, fabulous rose gardens and green-haired nobles in beautiful clothing. Life is not so pleasant for a slave, though, especially young Claidi who is servant to a bad-tempered and spoilt princess.

Everyone has been told that there is nothing outside the House and the Garden except for the cruel and awful Wastes, but one day a beautiful golden-haired prince in a fantastic balloon appears over the Garden. The balloon is shot down, but the prince, Nemian, presents the House's old matriarch, Jizania Tiger, with a special flower before he is imprisoned.

Jizania Tiger gives Claidi the tools to free the beautiful prince and escape! but she must do so in secret. Jizania Tiger tells Claidi that her mother was a princess of the House, banished to the Waste for loving a servant, which would make Claidi royalty, but is it even true? Claidi, who has been threatened with a whipping for displeasing her master, and is captivated by the Prince Nemian's golden-haired beauty, naturally agrees.

Outside the House and the Garden Claidi finds many surprises. Firstly, the land outside is vast and not at all like the "Waste" she was expecting. Secondly, Prince Nemian may be handsome, but she is quick to pick up on his less-than stellar personality. They travel from place to place, exploring the strange world they find themselves in. There were times when I felt the diary format was a real hindrance, since the reader is that much more removed from the action. And I began to get annoyed with Claidi's ignorance about every little thing, and needing others to explain it to her.

Claidi and Nemian end up with a nomadic group called the Hulta, whom they first think are bandits, but this is really not the case. Their leader, Argul, seems scary to Claidi at first, but she slowly learns that, just as Nemian was not the charming prince he seemed at first, Argul has much more to him, and she realizes she prefers him to Prince Nemian. ( )
  catfantastic | Nov 22, 2012 |
Yes. I stole this. This book.

Orphan-slave Claidi knows only the mindless rituals and cruelties of the House and the Garden, where the ruling families wallow in lavish extravagance. Then a golden stranger promises freedom if she will journey with him through the savage Waste.
Mad tribes and strange cities, enemies and friends where she least expects them, above all the Wolf Tower that broods over the grim stone city of her destiny; nothing - and no one - is as it seems.
If she is to survive, Claidi must learn fast - hone her wits, sharpen her instinct for danger...
Freedom demands that she confront the Law - once and for all...

All her life, Claidi has endured hardship in the House, where she must obey a spoiled princess. Then a golden stranger arrives, living proof of a world beyond the House walls. Claidi risks all to free the charming prisoner and accompanies him across the Waste toward his faraway home. It is a difficult yet marvelous journey, and all the while Claidi is at the side of a man she could come to love. That is, until they reach his home . . . and the Wolf Tower.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:03:49 -0400)

When a stranger is captured by the Guards of the House and Garden where she has worked all her life as a slave and maid, sixteen-year-old Claidi helps him escape and sets out with him to journey to his home city through the dangerous Waste.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,716,785 books! | Top bar: Always visible