Shadow Reaper (Shadow Riders Novel, A) by…

Shadow Reaper (Shadow Riders Novel, A)

by Christine Feehan

Shadow Reaper is the second book in the Shadow Riders series and I love the characters from this series. The Ferraro family, they stick together through thick and thin. There are even the cousins from New York who are willing to jump in whenever help is needed. I just love the sense of familia that I get whenever I read a book from this series!

In this story, Ricco Ferraro has been having a bit of bad luck lately. The kind that keeps almost killing him. Since his last accident, Ricco has been feeling like nothing really mattered anymore. He was done with how things had been and he needed more. Having decided that, he tasked his cousin with helping him find a rope model. Ricco was a master in the art of Shibari, the Japanese art of tying ropes around a person in a very artistic fashion aka rope bondage. His search for a model to practice his art brought Mariko to him.

Mariko was unlike other women that Ricco had met before. She called to him and he was unable to resist the call. Mariko though came to Ricco with other purposes than being a rope model for him, although she had a great interest in it as her mother had been a rope model. Mariko had a darker purpose and was biding her time, filling in the blanks that her investigation had not uncovered. She was running out of time but first she needed to know that he was a criminal, that he was guilty of something, anything.

Ricco was guilty but not for anything that was criminal. He had been harboring a deep secret, a life-threatening secret for so very long. With the appearance of Mariko that secret had come bubbling to the surface. Once his secrets were laid bare the danger increased tenfold and a conspiracy that had been simmering had finally reached its boiling point. In the end, it was up to Ricco and Mariko to find their own truth and see what the future held for them.

On one hand, I loved this story. I liked learning about Ricco’s past and the mystery and action in this story was top notch. To think about this character’s backstory was nothing short of horrific. I love the Ferraro family, how they came together around Ricco and I cannot wait to see whose story will be next in this series. I even appreciated that the Shibari was introduced because it is a unique art form that I have only read of in one other story. It is a form of erotic bondage but it is also an art form and it is a unique story element.

On the other hand, although I appreciated that Shibari was a part of this storyline, I guess that I got a bit bored of the story constantly coming back to it between these characters. I would say about 35% of this story revolves around bondage and I might be conservative on that guess. So, to me this story had some great elements but I felt that it was more of a story that surrounds a fetish than a story that includes a fetish. Overall, I liked the story parts and the romance aspects of this story and I highly, highly recommend this story to anyone who has ever fantasized about the art of Shibari, this story is absolutely for you. ( )
  TheGenreMinx | Aug 29, 2017 |
I learned about Shibari, so something new. It was an interesting storyline. I'd have liked to have had Nicoletta's part a little more clear. I imagine that she's being setup for her own storyline. Not clear which unmarried brother will become her mate. It's better than the Dark series. I have enjoyed the Game series, but its starting to feel rote like the Dark one. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Jul 30, 2017 |
I gave it 3.5 stars

I absolutely loved SHADOW RIDER and couldn't wait to get my hands on SHADOW REAPER. Although book two didn't blow me away, I still enjoyed jumping back into the Shadow world and revisiting some of my favorite characters from book one.

I really liked both Ricco and Mariko as characters and they worked well together as allies and a couple, but their relationship didn't seem to resonate as deeply with me as Stefano and Francesca from book one did. I don't know why, I just felt like their romance was missing that all consuming connection that I was looking for. On top of that, I wasn't really into the Shibari aspect of their relationship so those moments bored me more than pulled me in. Their back stories however pulled me in like their relationship didn't. Both of their stories were very interesting and heartbreaking at times.

The pace in SHADOW REAPER was on the slower side, but I really loved all the action scenes. I really enjoyed the fact that Mariko was bad-ass on her own and was able to completely and fully protect herself and those around her and although Ricco wanted to protect her, he LET her protect herself.

Although SHADOW REAPER wasn't the home run that SHADOW RIDER was for me, it was still a great addition to the shadow world. I learned a lot more about the world and the characters and it made me love all the characters even more than I did before. I will be stalking Goodreads until book three goes up so I can add it to my wishlist.

* This book was provided free of charge from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  STACYatUFI | May 31, 2017 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0399583955, Mass Market Paperback)

#1 New York Times bestselling author Christine Feehan returns to her sexy new series starring a Chicago crime family with a secret, powerful ability as Ricco Ferraro, reckless thrillseeker, meets the one woman who’s worth living for.

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 26 Nov 2016 20:22:35 -0500)

Billionaire playboy Ricco Ferraro knows no other life. Being a shadow rider is in his blood--but so is a haunting desperation stemming from the secrets of his dark past. His recklessness puts not only his life at risk, but also the future of his entire family. To save them all, he must find a woman who can meet his every desire with a heat all her own. Just when Ricco has given up hope, he meets her--a mysterious woman whose shadow connects with his. She's someone looking for a safe haven from the danger that has stalked her over the last several months. In Ricco's embrace, she finds one. But the darkness in which they so often find sanctuary can also consume them.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,367,873 books! | Top bar: Always visible