The Takedown by Corrie Wang

The Takedown

by Corrie Wang

Kyla is one of the most popular girls in her school, picked to join a clique that has ensured her the high school existence she was sure she wanted-until someone comes along to tear it all down. A sex tape of Kyla and one of her teachers is released, but Kyla knows she hasn't slept with anyone. As she fights to discover who is trying to destroy her life, she's forced to examine just how great a life it is that she's been leading

The world Wang creates is also extremely unique. The book is set in the far future, when our obsession with new technology and social media have been taken to extremes. Screens are everywhere, and no one takes a single step without their Doc, a tablet that contains their whole life. Thanks to social media, everywhere you go, someone is always watching, and your every move is documented virally for the world to see.

This book takes topics that have been covered before-popularity, mean girls, the effects of social media, and society's views on women-and looks at them through a really creative and unique lens. Wang tackles all this while also making her book a twisty mystery that kept me guessing the whole time. I honestly never saw the denouncement coming.

I would definitely recommend this book. It's a unique and gripping addition to the young adult suspense genre. ( )
  seasonsoflove | Nov 15, 2017 |
Kyla Cheng is a teen with everything going for her. She's smart and works hard to maintain her perfect grades. She is part of an elite group and seems to be a shoe-in for an Ivy League school. Until, one day, a video appears that shows her "doing it" with a teacher. It's a fake, of course, but how can she convince her friends and her family? And who and why is this happening to her?
The story takes place in the near future where everyone is connected via the social media platform known as ConnectBook. I love the way the author created a language tic for the book. It is all-caps SO cool!
I also liked the complicated relationship Kyla has with Mac, not allowing him to even kiss her since she has seen how long his relationships last with other girls after he has kissed them. She figures that the longer she holds out, the longer their relationship will last.

The story also features a relatively healthy family structure. Her near twin brother, Kyle, takes and gives kidding but respects and communicates with her.

Altogether, this was a thoroughly enjoyable story. ( )
  mamzel | Sep 22, 2017 |
Technology is a beast, friends. A beast that's nearly impossible to tame, and as much as we try to make it work for us, what happens when our tech turns against us? Digital footprints are already so, so hard to erase, so this story set in the near-future where even more of what we do and share is public... well, let's just say this story hits awfully close to home, and in a way that's suspenseful, compelling, scary, and ultimately entertaining. I don't want to say too much, lest I accidentally spoil anything -- there's a strong element of suspense/thrill here, and the story will keep you on your toes trying to guess "whodunnit?"

There are enough twists and turns in the story to keep you up reading long past the time you should have fallen asleep, and ultimately, the ending is both satisfying and bittersweet. I loved the portrayal of friendships in the book and their complicated dynamics, and I also appreciated the slightly different approach to the main character: her brutal honesty with readers right up front, and how she starts from a place of overconfidence & has to work backwards (until most YA main characters).

Worth it! ( )
  dk_phoenix | Jun 22, 2017 |
"The moments in my life that have mattered the most aren't the ones that everyone "sees", but the ones that they don't." A lesson that seems so simple, yet in a technologically driven world, is often the hardest one to learn.
Senior year and a life destroyed in the drop of a video. The Takedown is a modern cyber and RL Bullying Story- WWYD if someone posted a video of you, that wasn't really you, but everyone believed it, saw it, and it destroyed your life as you know it?? Not cool, yet totally possible.
Fraught with scary tech; Big Brother to the max, identity stealing, never recover from mistakes or your past type of tech stuff... which is probably all in the works or up and running now, are pondered throughout The Takedown.
As snarky as she can be, I admired Kyla's gumption and wit, she has an inspiring 'voice'. Love President Malin (where are you, we certainly need you now!?) and the various characters that aided and abetted Kyla's senior year debacle. Excellent book, it kept me riveted down to the last word.
*I received an arc from NetGalley for an honest review ( )
  KimMcReads | Feb 23, 2017 |

"In this near-future mystery, Kyla Cheng, the smartest, hottest, most popular student at her Brooklyn high school, gets taken down a peg by a faked sex tape that goes viral"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,415,430 books! | Top bar: Always visible