Hospitality and Homicide by Lynn Cahoon

Hospitality and Homicide

by Lynn Cahoon

This long running series remains an engaging favorite. The main set of characters, including coffee shop/bookstore owner Jill Gardener, have managed to grow and mature so much over the course of the books, that it turns out, that's half the fun of each visit to South Cove. It doesn't even matter that you don't want to get to attached to anyone very new in town--whether they're a tourist, a new business owner or a food truck owner, they may not be around for long. This time, a big time author is in town to work on his book, but a murder eerily echoes a scene in his manuscript. Jill barely has enough time to read while on shift, much less track down murderers, but as usual, winds up being an integral part of the solution. ( )
  ethel55 | Jul 11, 2017 |
I received an ARC of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This did not affect my opinion of the book or my review itself.

Jill Gardner not only owns a bookstore/coffee shop, but she also can't seem to help herself when it comes to getting involved in local mysteries. An author comes for a signing, but finds himself a prime suspect when a murder is committed that exactly mimics one in the first draft of his new book. Jill must try to figure out the truth behind the murder, keep her business going, and decide where her relationship with her police boyfriend is heading.

Jill is a great lead character, surrounded by lots of interesting supporting characters. Her romance with Greg is one to root for as well.

The setting is a great one. I love small town mysteries, especially ones set in a bookstore.

The mystery was a well-plotted one, with the ending solution being a complete surprise.

There's not much to not like about this series. It has good characters, mystery, and setting.

If you're a cozy mystery reader, I would definitely recommend this series. ( )
  seasonsoflove | Jun 16, 2017 |
Just LOVED it. Lynn Cahoon has the "cozy feel" down pat as she writes about South Cove and and Jill Gardner, proprietor of Coffee, Books, and More.

This is the second book of the series I've read. I'm coming to believe that the characters are living, breathing, to the point of writing themselves.
Several characters fall into the quirky category, but as you read, the character grows and changes until you can't help but like them. I didn't like Aunt Jackie at first, but she's growing on me. Esmeralda is another character that at first the author encourages the reader to question and dislike, yet the character won't settle for that treatment. Love the way Cahoon shows that a love like Harrold's can actually change someone for the better.

Another technique Cahoon employs to make her characters real is to have a slew of personal crises going on at same time, giving the book real-life effect and fun layering. Jill/Greg, Toby/Sasha, Josh/Mandy, Nate/anybody. In some novels, this could be tedious. In this case, the book just becomes a great mesh of a entertwining threads to produce a beautiful tapestry.

All in all, this style of cozy makes me want to cheer and look anxiously for the date of the next book's publication.

I received a complimentary copy of this book through NetGalley. That did not affect the opinions presented in my review, for which I am solely responsible. ( )
  Becky_L | Jun 1, 2017 |
Hospitality and Homicide by Lynn Cahoon is the eighth book in A Tourist Trap Mystery series. Jill Gardner lives in South Cove, California and owns Coffee, Books and More. Nathan Pike, mystery author, has arrived back in town to work on his latest novel. He will be staying at the South Cove Bed and Breakfast. Greg King, South Cove PD’s only detective and Jill’s boyfriend, is less thrilled with his presence since Nathan will be shadowing him for the next month. On the weekend, Jill, Greg, Aunt Jackie and her beau, Harold along with Nathan visit the Jensen Farm. There is an old olive tree on the property that is called the Judas tree (scene of several suicides). One evening Greg and Jill are preparing to cook dinner when Greg brings up the idea of them moving in together. Jill is unprepared for Greg’s suggestion and glad when he is called away to a crime scene. Jill later hears that the owner of the Beal Street B&B, Walter Knicely, was found murdered on the Judas tree. It turns out that the scene was staged just like a scene in the novel Nathan is writing. Nathan becomes a prime suspect in Walter’s death. Jill’s curiosity soon has her working to solve this latest murder. But Jill cannot devote all her time to the case. She is contemplating letting Greg move in with her. Jill is not sure if she is ready for such a big step (she has yet to tell Greg those three special words). Of course, everyone in town has an opinion (and has placed a bet on the outcome). Then there is the missing boy and interviewing perspective employees. Life is never dull in South Cove.

Hospitality and Homicide is easy to read, and it has a good pace. Ms. Cahoon has a lovely, conversational writing style. It was nice to revisit the characters in the series and see how they are getting along. I found Hospitality and Homicide to have more of the cozy element than most cozy mysteries. More time is devoted to Jill working, going to school, jogging, dating, walking Emma and eating. We get to see how Aunt Jackie is faring with her new beau, check up on the romance between Sasha and Toby, and discover Esmerelda’s problem with her latest client. The mystery was very simple and extremely easy to solve. The suspect pool is exceedingly limited. The motive for the murder is feeble. The books in A Tourist Trap Mystery series are best read in order. Otherwise, you will be a little bewildered (missing important bits of information). I give Hospitality and Homicide 3 out of 5 stars. Several things are repeated throughout the book (examples: Jill’s dislike of her business class, Jill states she is afraid of Aunt Jackie’s wrath when she is late or forgets something, Jill being afraid to commit to Greg or say I love you to him). I found a couple of contradictions in the book. Nathan Pike’s character is described one way at the beginning of the story (afraid of crowds for example) and later is very chatty and a charmer. I found the case of the missing child to be confusing. At one point, it is stated that the courts have declared the young boy to be dead which was why the police were no longer looking for him. Later, it seems the boy has only been missing a short time (days). Which is it? I am hoping for a more complex mystery and more attention to details in Killer Party, the next book in A Tourist Trap Mystery series. ( )
  Kris_Anderson | May 16, 2017 |
The latest murder in South Cove seems to have been stolen from the pages of a visitor author. Jill Gardner the bookstore owner feels compelled to try to discover the murderer at the same time as she is dealing with a few personal issues - namely her boyfriend - the police chief, a wacky neighbor, and an ending romance for two of her employees.

The main mystery is a little light, but there was a secondary mystery surrounding a missing child that was very engrossing. I really enjoyed the story filled with more wacky characters and other previously minor characters that were brought front and center. ( )
  cyderry | May 15, 2017 |
To my sister Jeani – who taught me that being myself was enough
Sometimes the best thing you can do to welcome someone to town is to throw a party.

Lynn Cahoon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,774,198 books! | Top bar: Always visible