Supergirl (Rebirth) Vol. 1: Reign of the…

Supergirl (Rebirth) Vol. 1: Reign of the Cyborg Supermen

by Steve Orlando

Good TPB with a solid story throughout. It feels a bit like an alternate universe take on the Supergirl TV series (which I enjoy): Kara is still in high school, working with the DEO already alongside her parents. There's a different DEO head who, while not Jonn Jones, feels like she has potential to be interesting. But there's no Alex Danvers, which is disappointing as it drops the number of queer characters to 0 and there seems to be little reason for it, as Alex isn't an existing character who's busy elsewhere (unlike, presumably, Jonn Jones, James Olson and Maggie Sawyer). ( )
  teknognome | May 31, 2017 |
Okay, so, totally crazy Cyborg Superman is back again, this time with a twist. Quite the twist.

We also have a newly re-powered Kara aka Supergirl, working alongside the DEO, Cameron Chase as well as her 'new' parents Jeremiah Danvers and Eliza Danvers.

Oh, and then we have her working for Cat Grant as a 'young innovator' at CatCo next to a black guy from Metropolis (not James Olsen though).

If this all sounds familiar, it's because apparently it sorta is. So, so much like the Supergirl TV show (which for the record I do like). I'm just not sure how I feel about the comic being so close to the show. I would sorta like it if maybe it was more different. I guess that we'll see.

The Argo City stuff was interesting though, and I look forward to seeing what they do with the Cat/Kara relationship too.

I got this ARC through Netgalley on behalf of DC Entertainment. ( )
  DanieXJ | May 29, 2017 |
Meh. This didn't engage me. Admittedly, I haven't read much Supergirl except as a member of TT (and I did love her "8th Grade Adventures"). This just felt so isolationist to me. It didn't feel like it was taking place in the DC Universe. A huge invasion and very powerful bad guy were attacking and no other Superheroes came to help. I couldn't get on board with the relationship between Kara and the Danvers either. They are assigned to her plus they've only basically met and yet they are already so attached they are willing to die for each other? The art was also very cartoonish and didn't wow me. Readable story but that's it for me. ( )
  ElizaJane | May 12, 2017 |
The storyline was actually pretty good and seems congruent with the current CW show which is nice since I wish DC was more like Marvel in trying to have continuity throughout their media. Steve Orlando did a good job in creating realistic characters, which is saying something since he’s writing about superheroes and villains, as well as readable dialogue. His stories flow, make sense and keep your attention. I liked how he portrayed the personality and character of Kara and felt he upheld what the fans look for in her.

Overall the art was gorgeous, fit with the story line and seemed in character for what DC has tried to do for Supergirl except for one thing. The art in this graphic novel made Kara out to look like she was barely into her teen years, if that, when she should’ve been portrayed as much older. Most of the expressions on her face make her seem borderline teenage bratty or petulant instead of having a strong attitude. The vast majority of the frames are completely in contrast with the cover and the opening pages where she looks older and more mature. ( )
  ttsheehan | Apr 4, 2017 |

"Supergirl moves to National City! As Kara Danvers, average American teenager and high school student, Supergirl must balance her life as a superhero with her new life on Earth. But some demons from her Kryptonian past are coming back to haunt her, and Kara will find herself face-to-face with her father: the sinister Cyborg Superman!"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,582,150 books! | Top bar: Always visible