Wonder Woman (Rebirth) Vol. 2: Year One by…

Wonder Woman (Rebirth) Vol. 2: Year One

by Greg Rucka

Loved this, great characters, great story and the pure friendliness of Wonder Woman shines through. Fell in love with the Jenny Frison alternative covers, Frank Cho didn't appeal as much.
I'm left wondering what the long-term effects of healing on the Island are going to have on Steve Rogers (apart from apparently creating a big bill for t-shirts... he does end up shirtless a lot). Despite the cover almost being an upskirt moment overall it was a good read. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Jul 20, 2017 |
This second volume of Greg Rucka's run of Wonder Woman brings us to her home, Themyscira, where Diana has grown bored with the island and yearns to know what is beyond. At the same time Steve Trevor is getting ready to set out with his team in search of a lab believed to belong to the terrorist group known as the Sear Group. Steve's mission goes awry and his plane crashes on Themyscira, leaving him as a sole survivor. The Amazons save Steve and eventually decide to hold a competition on the island to see who will go back with him, although all know that Diana will win.

Diana and Steve soon set out for America where they quickly discover just what Diana is capable of and the powers she holds. During a terrorist attack by the Sear Group on a local mall, Diana is introduced to the world, saving countless lives and wrangling up the attackers. Interrogation of the group leads to the truth, that Ares, the God of War, is behind this deadly group and Diana must now face her purpose and take him down.

Greg Rucka compiles a great backstory for Wonder Woman in volume two, allowing for a mix of Diana's time on Themyscira, how she ends up teamed with Steve Trevor, and her discovery of her place in the world as a superhero. Despite this volume being a collection of issues 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, and 14 in the series, the story has a seamless flow. While reading the first volume in this collection I felt disjointed and disappointed by the material, the opposite is true of this volume. Volume two is a solid journey in to Wonder Woman, which I would recommend to anyone new to her comic book world. ( )
  jess_reads_books | Jul 3, 2017 |
With the movie coming out in a few months it’s nice to find a decent novel to keep us entertained until then. Rucka does a wonderful job by providing us with a great adaption of the perfect female icon. It was obvious he really put some effort into providing a story that would grab your attention and keep you flipping through the pages. I liked how there was a good balance between more modern updates and elements of the original classic storylines plus the humorous moments thrown in added some fun. What was nice about how Rucka wrote this is it works well as a standalone, separate from the other volumes, and you could easily read this prior to Volume 1 without feeling like you’re missing much if anything at all.

Art work certainly does justice to Rucka’s writing as it brings his words to life and breathes some vibrancy into the story.
  ttsheehan | Jun 5, 2017 |
The Lesbian (even if some of it is subtext) is strong in this TPB. Heh, suffering Sappho, I have to remember that one. I have no doubt that the next writer will undo it all, but, it's nice right now, and it added a level of enjoyment while I was reading it too. I mean, just the fact that Rucka acknowledges that on an island of only women there might just be some women loving women who live on it (Kasia; Hippolyta; Philippus; etc?)

As for the TPB itself, it's basically what it says it is. Wonder Woman's origin story, again. I mostly liked how it was done. It's mostly the normal story with just some slight tweaks and such here and there, most of which I did like.

We get to meet Etta Candy, Steve Trevor, Barbara Ann Minerva, and more. Some are much as they were, others are slightly, or very different. But, each of the meetings played out in a very organic way, and even the introduction of Steve Trevor didn't make me want to throw the book across the room (I've had Wonder Woman Origin stories where I definitely wanted to throw the book when he was introduced, more than once). And, I totally loved the look that Diana had on her face in the panel after she saw the high heels that one of the women was wearing. Heh. Priceless.

It was a really cool TPB (not surprising since it was by Rucka) and I can't wait for volume three!

I got this ARC through Netgalley on behalf of DC Entertainment. ( )
1 vote DanieXJ | May 11, 2017 |
Greg Rucka's Wonder Woman Vol. 2: Year One begins with the parallel lives of Diana of Diana of Themyscira and Steve Trevor before Trevor's crash on Paradise Island. From there, Rucka portrays Diana's winning the honor of escorting Trevor back to man's world, her attempts to learn about that world, and her early conflict with Ares, the god of war. Much of this retreads territory originally covered by William Moulton Marston in his original Wonder Woman stories and George Pérez's post-Crisis reboot of the character, though it updates it for DC's latest reboot, Rebirth. Nichola Scott's art combined with Romulo Fajardo Jr.'s colors are gorgeous and nicely compliment Rucka's update of Wonder Woman's origin, but this story primarily serves to reintroduce the character to the new canon. Enjoyable for fans who enjoy the references to earlier versions and the new additions, but not terribly necessary for appreciating the character. ( )
  DarthDeverell | May 8, 2017 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,925,394 books! | Top bar: Always visible