Batgirl and the Birds of Prey: Who is…

Batgirl and the Birds of Prey: Who is Oracle?

by Shawna Benson, Julie Benson, Claire Roe (Illustrator)

203515,329 (3.71)None

Uh oh. THere's a new Oracle in town? And she or he doesn't seem to be doing it the same way that Barbara did.

At the beginning, there was a really nice explanation of the original Oracle and the Birds of Prey.

We also meet a different Huntress than in the New 52, or rather, back to the original Huntress from before New 52 I think. She's back to being Helena Bertinelli, not Helena Wayne. At first, I wasn't a great fan of this Huntress, but throughout the TPB she grew on me. And her story had some really interesting twists.

On the other hand, even before the end of the TPB, I didn't like Faux Oracle and still don't. Barbara Gordon is Oracle and Oracle has had a point, has always had a very specific point, and what this Faux Oracle is doing is so far past the point that I just.... no. Ugh, just no.

I got this ARC through Netgalley on behalf of DC Entertainment. ( )
  DanieXJ | Apr 11, 2017 |
This new volume 1 works really well as an entry point for both the team and these three main characters: Batgirl, Black Canary and Huntress. Time is taken to give each of the ladies a decent background story leading up to them reforming this team-up. The story was good involving them temporarily joining forces to find out who is using Batgirl's former alias, Oracle. Along the way, they meet up with Huntress and help her with her cause. My favourite character in this was by far Huntress, she's the only one with a real edge and I don't know her too well having read only one book featuring her previously. Batgirl is a bit of a disappointment though as she's immature, a do-gooder and rather dowdy. Her costume is too big for her and looks like a track suit. Black Canary's character fits between the two others with her sometimes agreeing with one then the other. I was surprised her team-up/relationship with Green Arrow wasn't mentioned as I'd just finished that book previously. I like her better in the GA book. Anyway, good story; I'll always read Batgirl no matter what they do to her and I've got a newfound interest in Huntress! ( )
  ElizaJane | Apr 9, 2017 |
I’ve always liked the Birds of Prey, it’s the girl thing if I have to be honest. In a world that seems to focus on Superman, Batman, Aquaman, and all the other men any time women are given a chance to shine in that male dominated world is a good one.

Admittedly I’m a fan of the Rebirth thing DC has going on because I didn’t grow up with comics so I feel like this is giving me a chance to catch up. When the graphic novels, like this one, provides background info it helps feel more connected to the story, settings, and characters. The dialogue is witty and well written, sounds very conversationalist for a graphic novel. The added layer of mystery and action to the story line was written very well. I liked how the completely contrasting personalities of the characters actually blended well and made for some interesting chemistry between the girls; it really brought out their humanity. The only con in the story I had were the few continuity issues but the good outweighed the little bit of bad so I was happy.

I was a little put off by some of the art work. Batgirl was drawn so muscular in some of the frames it looked like it was a man’s body with a woman’s head on top. There’s already tons of men in the comic universe, what few female characters we get shouldn’t be taken from us by trying to masculinize them. Women can have muscles and defined bodies but this was a bit much. It wasn’t all bad but it was so good then bad at the same time and because graphic novel are half story / half artwork having good CONSISTENT art work is pretty important.

If you like reading about strong, intelligent female characters then you should pick this up! ( )
  ttsheehan | Apr 4, 2017 |

Shawna Bensonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Benson, Juliemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Roe, ClaireIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

"Barbara Gordon is no stranger to secrets. She's the daughter of GCPD Jim Gordon, the vigilante known as Batgirl and Oracle, the most powerful hacker on the planet, who until now has been kept completely hidden. Someone new has resurrected the Oracle mantle that Babs once controlled, and whoever is behind it is sending Batgirl on a wild chase all across Gotham City. By her side are two equally dangerous vigilantes--Dinah Lance, the rock star-turned-hero known as Black Canary, and Helena Bertinelli, the lethal spy codenamed the Huntress. Can this mismatched trio come together in time to solve the mystery of the new Oracle and defeat the villainous forces arrayed against them? Or will these Birds of Prey have their wings clipped before they can even get off the ground?"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,596,931 books! | Top bar: Always visible