Trinidad Noir: The Classics by Earl Lovelace

Trinidad Noir: The Classics

by Earl Lovelace (Editor), Robert Antoni (Editor)

Other authors: Michael Anthony (Contributor), Robert Antoni (Contributor), Wayne Brown (Contributor), CLR James (Contributor), Barbara Jenkins (Contributor)13 more, Ismith Khan (Contributor), Harold Sonny Ladoo (Contributor), Earl Lovelace (Contributor), Sharon Millar (Contributor), Shani Mootoo (Contributor), VS Naipaul (Contributor), Elizabeth Nunez (Contributor), Jennifer Rahim (Contributor), Eric Roach (Contributor), Lawrence Scott (Contributor), Samuel Selvon (Contributor), Derek Walcott (Contributor), Elizabeth Walcott-Hackshaw (Contributor)

Series: Akashic Books Noir Series

ARC (1) crime (1) ebook (1) edelweiss (1) noir (1)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
TRINIDAD NOIR: THE CLASSICS is edited by Earl Lovelace and Robert Antoni.
It is a collection of reprints of classic stories and poems from celebrated Caribbean authors.
The editors are also the authors of two of the stories in this title. Publishing dates range from 1927 to 2015. While the stories “are not all focused on crime (a common element of the noir genre), they direct attention to the violence of a society that has not quite settled accounts with the casualties of enslavement and indentureship.”
The book contains a Table of Contents; an outline map of Trinidad Tobago showing where the various stories take place (I like this map); an Introduction; About the Contributors (very interesting profiles) and Permissions. There are 19 stories (and poems) divided into four parts: Part I - Leaving Colonialism; Part II - Facing Independence; Part III - Looking In; Part IV - Losing Control.
I quite liked the story LA DIVINA PASTORA by C.L.R. James, taking place in North Trace; originally published in 1927. This story was very eerie.
I read and reread the poem THE SCHOONER FLIGHT by Derek Walcott, taking place in the area of Blanchisseuse; originally published in 1979. “I try to forget what happiness was, and when that don’t work, I study the stars.”
THE PARTY by Elizabeth Walcott-Hackshaw, taking place in the Santa Cruz Valley, first published in 2007. The story was one of desperation, sadness and terrible violence (boiling under the surface). From the ashes falling on the birthday cake to the seething bitterness of Alice to the rented pit bulls patrolling the yard - it was terribly depressing and scary.
Another story I liked (I really did like them all) was THE BONNAIRE SILK COTTON TREE by Shani Mootoo, originally published in 2015, taking place in Foothills, Northern Range. I was familiar with the author, Shani Mootoo, having just finished her book MOVING FORWARD SLOWLY LIKE A CRAB. I like her style and with characters like the attention-seeking priest, Father O’Leary, desperate for independence and acceptance, Nandita Sharma, and the sinister ‘jumbie’ - something disastrous is bound to happen.
I like the stories being in sequence according to publication. The reader can see a progression of sorts in the culture and character (and despair) of the emerging country.
Some of the stories were written in a regional patois which made it slow-going at times. But it added realism and character to the characters, the locale and the story line.
I like this noir series from Akashic Books very much. I thank Akashic Books for sending me this book in exchange for an unbiased and honest review. The title is part of Library Thing’s Early Review program. ( )
  diana.hauser | Apr 23, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Definitely a mixed bag. Definitely enjoyed it, and really like getting these ARC giveaways because they get me out of my type of novels I normally gravitate to. This collection of short stories by Trinidadian authors are printed chronologically by publication date, over the past century. Some of the stories I thought were pretty darn good; others were ho-hum. One note; I guess a large group of people on the island speak English, but in a very different dialect, so for people who don't like reading a lot of dialogue that's not in "proper" English, this will be a rough read.

It has a few poems included, but I don't enjoy poetry so I skipped over those completely; I'll edit my review if my wife reads them and lets me know what she thinks.

**I received a free copy of this book in exchange for this unbiased review.** ( )
  MisterMelon | Apr 20, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have read and enjoyed several of the noir volumes. This entry is certainly different - I would say more literary than other entries. The stories collected here are have all been previously published. The only author that I had heard of is Naipul. As for the "noir" angle - it's there but not as overt as in other collections, more subtle. As in the other books a sense of place comes through loud and clear. Several of the tales are written in the local patois. Some stories,not many,are comical - the majority are serious. I especially enjoyed "songster " and "The Party". I hope that the publishers issue some additional "classic" volumes from other countries/cities. It's a great idea! All in all I would recommend this particular book for all fans of the series. ( )
  Denisodea | Apr 17, 2017 |

Selvon, SamuelContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Walcott, DerekContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Walcott-Hackshaw, ElizabethContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Trinidad Noir: The Classics by was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,789,382 books! | Top bar: Always visible