The Card Catalog: Books, Cards, and Literary…

The Card Catalog: Books, Cards, and Literary Treasures (edition 2017)

by Library of Congress (Compiler), Carla Hayden (Foreword)

Member:janimar
Title:The Card Catalog: Books, Cards, and Literary Treasures
Authors:Library of Congress (Compiler)
Other authors:Carla Hayden (Foreword)
Info:Chronicle Books (2017), 224 pages
Tags:books, books about books

The Card Catalog: Books, Cards, and Literary Treasures by Library of Congress

Definite;y a niche interest. Still, fascinating. ( )
  Razinha | May 25, 2018 |
Really enjoyed this history of the card catalog! The real treasures are the images of cards, e.g., the card for The Catcher in the Rye that describes Salinger like this: "writes short stories for the New Yorker; his first novel." ( )
  DonnaMarieMerritt | Feb 28, 2018 |
This is a fun and fact filled book on the history of card cataloging from its origins to its move to computers. I loved the short segment on J. Edgar Hoover, who worked at the Library of Congress and used that knowledge when reorganizing the FBI’s filing system.
Not a very long book but certainly interesting especially to me who grew up with card catalogs and now works in a library. I definitely remember using card catalogs and until a few years ago we had a couple left in tech services until they were sold to some lucky people who appreciated them. ( )
  JulieLill | Feb 28, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A real trip down memory lane for me, this volume is a nicely presented but not quite scholarly attempt to retrieve a certain kind of book history. I gave my copy to my local library and they were delighted! ( )
  michaelg16 | Jan 7, 2018 |
I borrowed this book hoping for a in-depth story of the card catalog. It wasn't in the text, but in the pictures. The text was a basic introduction of the catalog, but the true amazement was in the images of the cards from the LC's catalog for iconic first editions.

A very enjoyable book. More than a coffeetable book, but not overwhelming in the details. ( )
  kevl42 | Nov 16, 2017 |
This book about card catalogues, written and published in cooperation with the Library of Congress, is beautifully produced, intelligently written and lavishly illustrated. ... “The Card Catalog” is many things: a lucid overview of the history of bibliographic practices, a paean to the Library of Congress, a memento of the cherished card catalogues of yore and an illustrated collection of bookish trivia.

Library of Congressprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hayden, Carlamain authorall editionsconfirmed

The Library of Congress brings booklovers an enriching tribute to the power of the written word and to the history of our most beloved books. Featuring more than 200 full-color images of original catalog cards, first edition book covers, and photographs from the library's magnificent archives, this collection is a visual celebration of the rarely seen treasures in one of the world's most famous libraries and the brilliant catalog system that has kept it organized for hundreds of years. Packed with engaging facts on literary classics—from Ulysses to The Cat in the Hat to Shakespeare's First Folio to The Catcher in the Rye—this package is an ode to the enduring magic and importance of books.

The Library of Congress brings booklovers an enriching tribute to the power of the written word and to the history of our most beloved books. Featuring more than 200 full-color images of original catalog cards, first edition book covers, and photographs from the library's magnificent archives, this collection is a visual celebration of the rarely seen treasures in one of the world's most famous libraries and the brilliant catalog system that has kept it organized for hundreds of years. Packed with engaging facts on literary classics--from Ulysses to The Cat in the Hat to Shakespeare's First Folio to The Catcher in the Rye--this package is an ode to the enduring magic and importance of books.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Library of Congress's book The Card Catalog is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,485,150 books! | Top bar: Always visible