The Dark Net by Benjamin Percy

The Dark Net

by Benjamin Percy

I really wanted to love this novel, and with its premise, it gave every indication that I would enjoy this story. But unfortunately, that didn't happen. The story is told from multiple perspectives. In this case, I found none of the perspectives interesting. In fact, I didn't really like any of the characters (especially Lela, who I found intolerable). Even though the author had ensured that he gave the backstory of the main characters, I had this constant feeling like the descriptions were just surface level; they didn't have much emotional depth to them. Whenever I thought the author would get deeper into something, there would be a switch in perspective or scene that would throw me off. It also felt as if this book was trying to tie in all of these random aspects to make them come together and tell a cohesive tale; while it did all tie up, it just wasn't done in an authentic way. Some things were put together in a way that was far too convenient to believe, and it made me fall out of the story. I wish there had been more depth to the entire story, not just random wikipedia facts to inform the readers about the Dark Net. In the end, this story just didn't flow well and had characters that were hard to connect with on all levels. However, I did like the demonic aspects so I'm giving this a 2/5 stars. ( )
  veeshee | Jan 29, 2018 |
Reminded me of a Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode where a demon gets into the school network and havoc ensues. What if a demon or evil entity got into the Dark Net and started using the connectedness of all things to infect people with evil.

And what if one girl got a cure for her blindness through a technological device and what if she could see the infection as it spread? She teams up with her technophobic reporter aunt, a former evangelist and a few other motley characters have to try to fight this.

It's a bit cluttered with characters and it just didn't really work for me, it almost felt like there was too much going on and I didn't engage enough in any of the characters. Not a bad read but didn't stand out. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Jan 16, 2018 |
Easy, quick reading, but not all that well written. ( )
  sberson | Dec 26, 2017 |
The Dark Net, in theory, sounded like a great techno-thriller. Demons on the web, working their way into people’s lives through technology and ‘virtually’ unstoppable. Unfortunately the dark net hardly had any part in the story. The demons were using the dark net for their plan, but other than a few brief mentions and not very much detail at all the books namesake was tossed out the window. So much for supernatural techno-thriller based on the dark net.

The first 60% of the book is spent on setting the story up. You meet a character, follow them and learn their backstory; then hop on over to another character, follow them and learn their backstory. Honestly it’s really tedious, and this is from the girl who loves characterization over anything in her books. But during that time the book is so very slow and hardly any of the plot moves forward.

Then there’s our antagonist. There isn’t really a main antagonist. A couple of baddies with names pop up, and maybe toward the very end we finally see someone who could be called the ‘leader’, but none of it is ever mentioned.

The story just seems like it’s in bits and pieces; as if the author pulled ideas from this story and that story and tried to make them fit together and it didn’t quite work out right. The book itself didn’t know what it was supposed to be and the characters forgot their lines and were on the wrong set and missed their cues. A downright jumbled mess. ( )
  ReadingBifrost | Nov 8, 2017 |
First thought when I finished early, early this morning - WOW!

I had such a hard time deciding on reading this book. I loved Benjamin Percy's book "Red Moon" and was so excited to see this one offered by him. However, I was concerned with there being a lot of "geek speak". Well, there was some, but not a lot. I do remember one time when my eyes were crossing but that feeling did not last long. There was a lot of "freak speak" which I was used to in the author's other book.

This suspenseful, action packed thriller had me mesmerized. I stayed up way too late to finish it. I kept putting it down to sleep. Then, I would pull it back out and read some more. I could not leave it even though my body was telling me "it will be there in the morning".

A great read which I truly enjoyed!

Thanks to Houghton Mifflin Harcourt and Net Galley for providing me with a free e-galley in exchange for an honest, unbiased review. ( )
  debkrenzer | Sep 12, 2017 |

Hell on earth is only one click of a mouse away in acclaimed writer Benjamin Percy’s terrifying new horror novel

The Dark Net is real. An anonymous and often criminal arena that exists in the secret, far reaches of the Web, some use it to manage Bitcoins, pirate movies and music, or traffic in drugs and stolen goods. And now, an ancient darkness is gathering there as well. These demons are threatening to spread virally into the real world unless they can be stopped by members of a ragtag crew:

Twelve-year-old Hannah, who has been fitted with the Mirage, a high-tech visual prosthetic to combat her blindness, wonders why she sees shadows surrounding some people.

A technophobic journalist named Lela has stumbled upon a story nobody wants her to uncover.

Mike Juniper—a one-time child evangelist who suffers from personal and literal demons—has an arsenal of weapons stored in the basement of the homeless shelter he runs.

They have no idea what the Dark Net really contains.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 28 Nov 2016 08:05:30 -0500)

"The Dark Net is real. An anonymous and often criminal arena that exists in the secret, far reaches of the Web, some use it to manage Bitcoins, pirate movies and music, or traffic in drugs and stolen goods. And now, an ancient darkness is gathering there as well. These demons are threatening to spread virally into the real world unless they can be stopped by members of a ragtag crew: Twelve-year-old Hannah, who has been fitted with the Oculus, a high-tech visual prosthetic to combat her blindness...Lela, a technophobic journalist,... Mike Juniper--a one-time child evangelist who suffers from personal and literal demons--has an arsenal of weapons stored in the basement of the homeless shelter he runs. And Derek, a hacker with a cause, believes himself a soldier of the Internet, part of a cyber army akin to Anonymous. They have no idea what the Dark Net really contains."--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,453,548 books! | Top bar: Always visible