It's All Absolutely Fine: Life Is…

It's All Absolutely Fine: Life Is Complicated So I've Drawn It Instead

by Ruby Elliot

Very funny and super relatable. Similar to Hyperbole and a Half - with less writing and more pictures, also I found this book to be more focus on mental illness - depression, bi-polar, and eating disorders. Not only did she talk about these things she ACCURATELY describes living life with mental illness. I felt like I could relate to most of the pictures. I loved the drawings and I enjoyed the little bits of writing kinda summing up the chapters.

I did receive a free copy of this book from goodreads and im really glad that I was one of the people who won.

Thank you, Ruby. Thank you for your honesty and thank you for giving the world your art. ( )
  Kenzer24123 | Mar 25, 2017 |
Well-done graphic non-fiction dealing with depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, eating disorders and body image. The graphic medium is well suited to creating empathy and understanding where works alone don't quite capture the experiences of these mental health issues.

I received an advanced copy of this book from the publisher via netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Thanks!
  Well-ReadNeck | Jan 22, 2017 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 144948042X, Paperback)

Explore the highs and lows of modern life through the sharp, dark wit of Ruby Elliot—creator of the massively popular Tumblr account, Rubyetc, which has over 210k followers and growing. Ruby’s simple drawings of not-so-simple issues capture the humor and melancholy of everyday life.  Her comics appeal to both new adults who are beginning to explore these subjects and to battle-tested veterans of the daily struggles of life with mental illness.

It’s All Absolutely Fine is an honest and unapologetic account of day-to-day life as a groaning, crying, laughing sentient potato being for whom things are often absolutely not fine. Through simple, humorous drawings and a few short narratives, the book encompasses everything from mood disorders, anxiety, and issues with body image through to existential conversations with dogs and some unusually articulate birds.

With each chapter a particular set of struggles is picked up, looked at, and squished about a bit using visuals before being put down again with a little more resolve.  Problems related to mental health that can be very devastating and even isolating are discussed openly in a way people are often told not to, but this is as much a book about the human emotional experience that touches all of us as it is about mental health. Through the drawings, the reader is shown that it is okay to struggle, and that it is okay to talk about struggling, to not undermine oneself by yelling ‘it’s fine’ when it isn’t, and while all this is going on to know that it is absolutely possible to hold on to hope, and of course humor.

Building on Rubyetc's huge online presence, It's All Absolutely Fine includes mostly new material, both written and illustrated, and is inspirational, empowering, and entertaining. Hope and tenacity abound in this book that is as heartening as it is hilarious.

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 22 Jan 2017 13:21:29 -0500)

Explore the highs and lows of modern life through the sharp, dark wit of Ruby Elliot--creator of the massively popular Tumblr account, Rubyetc, which has over 210k followers and growing. Ruby's simple drawings of not-so-simple issues capture the humor and melancholy of everyday life. Her comics appeal to both new adults who are beginning to explore these subjects and to battle-tested veterans of the daily struggles of life with mental illness.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,365,995 books! | Top bar: Always visible