Guardians of time by Poul Anderson

Guardians of time (original 1960; edition 1981)

by Poul Anderson (Author), Poul Anderson (Afterword)

Member:GVassmer
Title:Guardians of time
Authors:Poul Anderson (Author)
Other authors:Poul Anderson (Afterword)
Info:Pinnacle Books (1981)
Tags:SFF

Guardians of Time by Poul Anderson (1960)

English (7)  Danish (1)  All languages (8)
Four stories: Time Patrol, Brave to Be a King, The Only Game in Town, Delenda Est.
  drbrendan | Jul 7, 2016 |
More like a bunch of loosely related short-stories than an actual novel. Not as developed as I hoped. ( )
  lordraven | Jun 25, 2014 |
I gave up reading this book of short stories. Very little plot development, one dimensional characters, frankly little drama. I was disappointed but it is just too juvenile for my more mature tastes...I might have enjoyed this book in my youth but it is just too simple nowadays for me. ( )
  Lynxear | May 16, 2014 |
A collection of stories about the Time Patrol, centered around the character is Manse Everard. He goes back and forward in time, with interesting glimpses of past times and future probabilities, but I like Anderson's novels better -- more space to work out the ideas. ( )
  annbury | Sep 23, 2010 |
Guardians of Time is a collection of short fiction centered around the Time Patrol, an organization responsible for keeping the time streams free of crime and mischief, all while avoiding paradox and anachronisms.

The series’ protagonist is pulled from his own time, given a respectable pay (by the reckoning of when these stories were first published), and access to the time travel facilities, where he is occasionally called upon to rescue a fellow time patrol officer from a backwards past civilization, or stop a ne’er-do-well whose procured a time machine of his own.

Each story covers a different challenge that may arise were such an organization to exist, and for what it’s worth, does a good job of presenting the material.

I for one, though, am glad that this is not my job, due to the constant travel, albeit through time instead of space. ( )
  aethercowboy | Jun 24, 2010 |

To Kenny Gray -

who'll tell me that I did wrong -

and to Gloria,

Who knows better
"The work is, you understand, somewhat unusual
From the book:

A shorter version of this work, published under the same title, is copyright 1960 by Poul Anderson.

The following stories composed the Earlier edition of The Guardians of Time:

Time Patrol, Brave to Be a King, The Only Game in Town & Delenda Est.

All appeared originally in the Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, and are copyright by The Mercury Press respectively: 1955, 1960, and 1955.

This is the first book publication of Gibraltar Falls, which appeared originally in The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, copyright 1975 by the Mercury Press.

:Of Time and the Rover" by Sandra Miesel, is original to this edition and is copyright 1981 by Sandra Miesel

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,269,803 books! | Top bar: Always visible