Look Before You Jump (The Bartender Babe…

Look Before You Jump (The Bartender Babe Chronicles Cozy Mysteries Book 1)

by D A Bale

511,436,638 (4)None
Recently added byRobant, TheGenreMinx, dabale, perusal

A big-mouth, partying Southerner with more guts than brains at times is not exactly my favorite type of character but Vicky Bohanan is a quirky character that has a flavor of her own. Her character comes off as having issues with her Dad and pretty much every member of the society she grew up in but when you get into the story you see that she really has a problem with hypocrisy and refuses to accept it in her life. She is a very strong willed woman and maybe she makes choices that I would consider poor but her animosity towards her father and society is what drives her desire to act however she may please. She will not be controlled as she once was and rebels at allowing anyone to tell her what she should do. Luckily for her she has a best-friend that knows how to talk to her, ha ha ha, except she lives vicariously through Vicky and rather enables her behaviors.

Vicky’s character just cracks me up but when things do not feel right she has no problems jumping into the fray in order to get to the bottom of things. Her sense of humor about all situations are what makes this a really funny story. Even her negative views on stereotypical mega-churches, after all her character grew up in one financed by her philandering father, are pretty funny as there is a ring of truth to them.

The pacing was good and the plot was well thought out. The situations the characters enter into are not “realistic” to me but fall under the “hey, it could happen” type of scenario. It is a fun read full of sass, action, and a bit of adventure but there is also a seriousness in this story that is underscored by humor and lust. I found myself shaking my head a time or two but I could not seem to put this story down.

When thinking about this story and the character of Vicky what comes to mind is another character, Officer Carey Mahoney from the Police Academy movies. Yes, I am showing my age on that one but I swear to you that Vicky is a female Mahoney. Almost too silly to be taken seriously but when it matters she is the one to save the day. If you enjoyed the Police Academy movies, then this is absolutely a book or series that you will most thoroughly enjoy.

This review is based on a digital copy I received from Author D.A. Bale. It is an honest and voluntary review. The complimentary receipt of it in no way affected my review or rating. ( )
  TheGenreMinx | Jan 9, 2017 |

D A Bale is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,539,092 books! | Top bar: Always visible