Printer's Error: Irreverent Stories…

Printer's Error: Irreverent Stories from Book History

by J. P. Romney, Rebecca Romney

Really enjoyed this book for its facts and its often hysterical delivery of same. Highly recommended! ( )
  SESchend | Sep 6, 2017 |
Full disclosure: I know one of the co-authors.

This book delivers what the subtitle promises: "irreverent stories from book history." These are well-researched tales, leavened with a healthy dose of snarky humor which amused me tremendously; others may find it a bit much. The chapters range widely, treating everything from the recent De Caro forgeries to vernacular translations of the Bible to Godwin's biography of Mary Wollstonecraft and Dickens' beef with American publishers over copyright. The notes are thorough, the jokes are legion, and it likely will leave you wanting more (I finally read Godwin on Wollstonecraft) - you can't ask for much more, really. Recommended. ( )
  JBD1 | Jul 2, 2017 |
Irreverent and fun, book lovers will enjoy this very readable history of printing. ( )
  Kek55 | Jan 29, 2017 |
I admit to being a fan of the reality television show the Pawn Stars on the History Channel. One of the things I enjoy is when they bring in one of their experts to tell us more about an object and Rebecca Romney is one of the best. I love books so her expertise is right up my alley. I was thrilled to find that she wrote a book along with her husband J.P. Romney and have to say I was not disappointed at all.

Nonfiction can be a tough read. It has to give us facts about the topic and in the hands of a less skilled author it can be really dry. Sometimes we get lucky and find an author who can not only educate us, but also entertain us as well. This is one of those special books. Rebecca and J.P. had me laughing as I learned things I had never knew before about Shakespeare, Johannes Gutenberg, Charles Dickens, and Benjamin Franklin just to name a few of the characters included in these pages. My only complaint is I wanted more! This is a great choice for history fans or for people who say they don't like nonfiction. ( )
1 vote JJbooklvr | Nov 28, 2016 |

Romney, J. P.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Romney, Rebeccamain authorall editionsconfirmed

A funny and entertaining history of printed books as told through absurd moments in the lives of authors and printers, collected by television’s favorite rare-book expert from HISTORY’s hit series Pawn Stars.

Since the Gutenberg Bible first went on sale in 1455, printing has been viewed as one of the highest achievements of human innovation. But the march of progress hasn’t been smooth; downright bizarre is more like it. Printer’s Error chronicles some of the strangest and most humorous episodes in the history of Western printing, and makes clear that we’ve succeeded despite ourselves. Rare-book expert Rebecca Romney and author J. P. Romney take us from monasteries and museums to auction houses and libraries to introduce curious episodes in the history of print that have had a profound impact on our world.

Take, for example, the Gutenberg Bible. While the book is regarded as the first printed work in the Western world, Gutenberg’s name doesn’t appear anywhere on it. Today, Johannes Gutenberg is recognized as the father of Western printing. But for the first few hundred years after the invention of the printing press, no one knew who printed the first book. This long-standing mystery took researchers down a labyrinth of ancient archives and libraries, and unearthed surprising details, such as the fact that Gutenberg’s financier sued him, repossessed his printing equipment, and started his own printing business afterward. Eventually the first printed book was tracked to the library of Cardinal Mazarin in France, and Gutenberg’s forty-two-line Bible was finally credited to him, thus ensuring Gutenberg’s name would be remembered by middle-school students worldwide.

Like the works of Sarah Vowell, John Hodgman, and Ken Jennings, Printer’s Error is a rollicking ride through the annals of time and the printed word.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 28 Dec 2016 22:16:13 -0500)

A lighthearted history of printed books is told through absurd moments in the lives of authors and printers as collected by the popular rare book expert from the History Channel's hit series "Pawn Stars."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,414,671 books! | Top bar: Always visible