Indigo: A Novel by Charlaine Harris

To be reviewed over at Fresh Fiction! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Nov 2, 2017 |
To be reviewed over at Fresh Fiction! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Nov 2, 2017 |
It's very rare for me to abandon a book. I'm 41 and I can count on one hand the number of times I have done so. And I really wanted to like Indigo; the premise sounded so good! A woman who can move through shadows, pull them around her and use the darkness as a weapon? Not the usual paranormal power. Sadly, 60 pages in and I had had enough.

I've read books by multiple authors before, though never more than three. And here is a glaring reason why it's not a good idea. This wasn't just a matter of too many (10!) cooks spoiling the pot. This is a game of round robin and only ONE of the authors apparently knows what the story is supposed to be. The rest were just adding filler. If I had to read one more time how "the shadows were calling to" Nora, I might have screamed. Her memories are untrusworthy. We know because it gets repeated every chapter. Nora doesn't like/is scared of being Indigo. We know because it gets repeated every chapter. Nora is a reporter. We know because it gets repeated every chapter. Each time the book changed authors, he or she had to recap the basics. It got to the point where I just didn't care any more because Nora never moved beyond a one-dimensional character, and the plot doesn't progress either.

Overall, I cannot recommend this book, especially to fans of any of the authors because their individual voices are completely lost. This would have been much better as an anthology where, after the character is introduced by one author, each other author wrote their own story about Indigo. I really wish I had waited on reviews before ordering this. ( )
  jshillingford | Aug 29, 2017 |
Fans of superhero graphic novels may enjoy this collaborative novel written by ten individuals including Charlene Harris and Kelly Armstrong. Nora Hesper is a reporter by day and the superhero Indigo by night. She possesses the supernatural power to travel the city through shadows or to manipulate them into physical weapons. She is tracking down a cult called the Children of Phonos who has murdering NYC children. Although she has killed what she thought to be the entire cult, she has discovered that some still exist. While searching for the remaining members, she discovers secrets about her recently discovered false memories and origins.

I might have rated this novel higher if I had read it rather than listen to it as an audiobook. Why do superheroes seem to speak in a low gravely voice? Additionally, why does the antagonist frequently have to sound like Bela Lugosi? Although I enjoyed the novel, I didn't think that it set itself apart from the typical formula used for superhero stories. Traumatic beginnings, questionable mental illness, hero almost dies before a triumphant ending. If you have read one superhero's story, you have read them all. ( )
  John_Warner | Aug 18, 2017 |
Nora Hesper is an investigative reporter with a secret life. At night she turns into Indigo who can use shadows to disappear and to travel from place to place. She uses her talents to track down the Children of Phonos who are sacrificing children to bring back an ancient murder god.

Nora is an interesting character whose past sounds like it came right out of the stories in superhero comic books. As events unfold, it becomes more an more apparent to Nora that the past she remembers isn't the past she actually lived.

The story was an exciting urban fantasy mystery. I couldn't tell that it was written by a bunch of authors because the story seemed to me to flow seamlessly from one exciting bit to another. I liked Nora's struggles to understand her past and her relationship with Indigo. ( )
  kmartin802 | Jun 4, 2017 |

Mark Morrismain authorall editionsconfirmed
Seanan McGuiremain authorall editionsconfirmed
Tim Lebbonmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Iacobelli, JamesCover artist & designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

"Investigative reporter Nora Hesper spends her nights cloaked in shadows. As Indigo, she's become an urban myth, a brutal vigilante who can forge darkness into weapons and travel across the city by slipping from one patch of shadow to another. Her primary focus both as Nora and as Indigo has become a murderous criminal cult called the Children of Phonos. Children are being murdered in New York, and Nora is determined to make it stop, even if that means Indigo must eliminate every member. But in the aftermath of a bloody battle, a dying cultist makes claims that cause Indigo to question her own origin and memories. Nora's parents were killed when she was nineteen years old. She took the life insurance money and went off to explore the world, leading to her becoming a student of meditation and strange magic in a mountaintop monastery in Nepal...a history that many would realize sounds suspiciously like the origins of several comic book characters. As Nora starts to pick apart her memory, it begins to unravel. Her parents are dead, but the rest is a series of lies. Where did she get the power inside her? In a brilliant collaboration by New York Times and critically acclaimed coauthors Charlaine Harris, Christopher Golden, Kelley Armstrong, Jonathan Maberry, Kat Richardson, Seanan McGuire, Tim Lebbon, Cherie Priest, James Moore, and Mark Morris join forces to bring you a crime-solving novel like you've never read before"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,395,277 books! | Top bar: Always visible