A Killer Harvest: A Thriller by Paul Cleave

A Killer Harvest: A Thriller (2017)

by Paul Cleave

I thought about bailing soon after starting, and now I wish I had! This was awful. I had read Cleve before and liked it, so this was a big disappointment to me. The narrator was atrocious. The story takes place in New Zealand, but he gave everyone a different British or Scottish accent. One character whispered everything, and another spoke every sentence as a question. Ugh! Horrible! And the story was really lame too. ( )
  Aseleener | Mar 24, 2018 |
Paul Cleave became a go-to author for me a couple of years ago. He wowed me with his ability to tell such a unique, page-turning thriller. I couldn't wait to get my hands on this book when I first saw it advertised. I knew that this would be yet another unique book.

This book is definitely a unique read. The basis of harvesting organs, with the recipients then taking on aspects of the donors' thoughts or mannerisms. Throw in a killer or two and you have the recipe for some page-turning scenes.

Part of the intrigue of this book is putting all of the pieces together. Who is who. Who is the killer. Who is after who. Getting all of the answers kept me turning the pages all of the way to the end.

I really had hoped that this book would have been of the same caliber as Trust No One in the sense that it would blow my mind, maybe leaving me a little dumb-founded. While I truly enjoyed this book, it did lack in those moments where my eyes were bulging and my jaw slack with shock. I think this story had the potential, however Mr. Cleave just didn't achieve that in this book. ( )
  AmberGoleb | Mar 13, 2018 |
This was a novel that I was very excited to read because its premise was just so intriguing. I wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was!

What really made this novel for me was that there were a lot of themes that made up this story. It wasn't just about cellular memory (which was a big component of the story) but it also deals with problems within the justice system, and the positives and negatives of vigilante behaviour. All of these themes gave the story a lot more complexity and depth, making it a more enjoyable read. There are also multiple POV's used in this novel and that also helped make this novel fully fleshed out. The great thing about the different characters was that the author created strong, well developed connections between them; the different relationships were believable and ensured that important details were presented to the reader.

The story also had really great pacing and so many twists! There is something constantly happening, but it is all very well thought out and not random in the slightest; the author does a fantastic job of connecting all of the different events. Every time I thought I had discovered the plot twist of the story, the author would throw in another one! It just made it such a compelling read, and it increased the depth - and scope - of the story.

The only thing I did not like was the conversation style between Joshua and his new friend, Ollilia. It was hard to imagine them as teenagers because their style of talking was a little awkward, and I couldn't sense the connection that the author was trying to create. This was the only connection that I felt wasn't concrete in the whole story.

Overall, I really enjoyed reading this book. It lived up to its classification as a thriller and I cannot wait to read more by this author. I'm giving this a 4.5/5 stars, rounded to 5!

For more reviews, visit: www.veereading.wordpress.com ( )
  veeshee | Jan 29, 2018 |
Finally, finished a book early enough in the day to read this one. It's been on my TBR for a while. I wasn't holding off for any reason other than I thought it would be a little more on the horror side. Well, after waiting all this time to read it, I really didn't have to wait. This was not a book that gave me nightmares at all. Which actually worked out better for me.

I loved the overall concept of the book. "Can receiving the eyes of a serial killer through enucleation cause you to have visions from that serial killer?" Crazy, huh? Well, let me tell you, it was and it gets even crazier at the end. It was creepy and I really like how it worked out in the end.

There were so many times that I thought the book was almost over, however, I would look down and see there was still a lot of time left. I was thinking where else can this book go and then YOWZA - another complete twist and I was mesmerized all over again.

Interesting concept, great read, could not put it down!!

Thanks to Atria Books and Net Galley for providing me with a free e-galley in exchange for an honest, unbiased review. ( )
  debkrenzer | Jan 18, 2018 |
What's It about?
A blind teenager receives a corneal donation and begins to see and feel memories from their previous owner...a homicide detective who was also his father. Joshua is convinced there is a family curse. It’s taken loved ones from him, it’s robbed him of his eyesight, and it’s the reason why his father is killed while investigating the homicide of a young woman. Joshua is handed an opportunity he can’t refuse: an operation that will allow him to see the world through his father’s eyes. As Joshua navigates a world of sight, he gets glimpses of what these eyes might have witnessed in their previous life. What exactly was his dad up to in his role as a police officer? There are consequences to the secret life his father was living, including the wrath of a man hell bent on killing, a man who is drawing closer and closer to Joshua. Joshua soon discovers a world darker than the one he has emerged from.

What did I think?
I have read almost all of Paul Cleave's books and found each one to be equally as interesting and entertaining as the one before. I would be hard pressed to choose a favorite...but this one...[A Killer Harvest] would have to be very close. The "bad guy" characters who received the organ transplants, are nearly all drawn so that you have to feel some empathy if not actual sympathy for them. The "good guys" are not as good as they should be...but you have to wonder if they meant to do the right thing and just got caught up in the tangled web they created. I can't say much more without giving away a lot of spoilers but anyone that loves spending time with a good mystery will find that [A Killer Harvest] just might be what you're looking for. ( )
  Carol420 | Aug 9, 2017 |

"Joshua is convinced there is a family curse. It's taken loved ones from him, it's robbed him of his eyesight, and it's the reason why his father is killed while investigating the homicide of a young woman. Joshua is handed an opportunity he can't refuse: an operation that will allow him to see the world through his father's eyes. As Joshua navigates a world of sight, he gets glimpses of what these eyes might have witnessed in their previous life. What exactly was his dad up to in his role as a police officer? There are consequences to the secret life his father was living, including the wrath of a man hell bent on killing, a man who is drawing closer and closer to Joshua. [...]" -- Provided by pulisher.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,231,128 books! | Top bar: Always visible