Bring Her Home by David Bell

Bring Her Home

by David Bell

Bill Price's life has been in turmoil ever since his wife died. His 15-year-old daughter Summer is also suffering the loss of her mother. One day Summer and her best friend Haley disappear. Not too long after they disappear, the girls are found, one of them Haley is dead and Summer is badly beaten.

As would any parent be , Bill is livid, how can someone do such a horrific thing. He sits vigil by his daughter's bedside, along with his sister. There are so many questions, how did the girls happen to be taken, who did it and why? As days go by though, things don't seem to be as simple as they look. Many questions are asked by the police that that Bill has no answers for.

As time goes by, things get even more difficult. Through memories of Bill's, we learn more about his wife and her death and some problems he has had with Summer. Things are not as they seem and Bill is determined to find out what happened to the girls. Some of the answers he is not prepared for and not what he had thought.

This book is a great psychological thriller and will keep the reader turning the pages. There were times I was a bit frustrated with Bill, but as a parent, I could not understand what he was going through, having never been in that situation, but I did have empathy and as the book progressed, a lot of things were a bit easier to understand. I really enjoyed this book and highly recommend it! ( )
  celticlady53 | Aug 22, 2017 |
Since I read my first David Bell book years ago, I have devoured them all and he remains one of my favourite authors.
Bill is raising his teenage daughter Summer by himself as his wife Julia died the year before in a tragic household accident, an accident that Bill feels much guilt for. Lately Summer has been different and their easy relationship has become more of a struggle. When Summer disappears, Bill is frantic to find her and then she's found, very badly beaten along with body of her dead friend.

What happened to the two girls? Who did this to them? Bill never leaves his daughter's side as she lies comatose until a new development makes him go search for the answers himself.

There were some twists in this book, some that I found predictable but David Bell always writes a riveting thriller. Layer after layer is peeled, taking us deeper into the mystery. Who can you trust? Who knows things and won't tell? Is it sometimes better to leave some things alone, maybe the not knowing of some things is better.

As always, I very much enjoyed this one. It's a great read by a great author. ( )
  maggie1961 | Aug 10, 2017 |
I love David Bell's books. I know when I pick one up to read that I am assured of a great read. That assurance certainly was true, yet again, with this book.

The plot twists involved while Bill Price is searching for his daughter, Summer, are jaw dropping. The suspect list is long and seeing Bill literally beat his way to finding his daughter is heart breaking. Especially so soon after losing his wife.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and my inability to put it down proved that fact. A read that will have you turning the pages without noticing the time, that I loved!

Thanks to Berkley Publishing Group and Net Galley for providing me with a free e-galley in exchange for an honest, unbiased opinion. ( )
  debkrenzer | Aug 9, 2017 |
A teenager not being home at curfew time, a phone call no parent wants to get, and a lot of questions.

Summer and Haley were the best of friends since first grade, and now that they are teenagers they share secrets and go everywhere together.

Going everywhere together one fateful night turned into a nightmare for Bill, Summer's father, and Haley's mother.

The police were investigating everyone who had known the girls and everything that had happened to Bill and Summer before and after the death of Summer's mother a year ago. I suspected a few characters as I continued reading and one in particular.

The police never had a handle on things because something new would turn up to turn the investigation back to square one. Some of the findings were unbelievable.

BRING HER HOME led us through the horror of a child gone missing and dying as well as learning the steps taken in a police investigation with this type of crime.

The characters and their emotions were credible, but trusting a few of them was difficult. Bill was very emotional to the point of doing crazy things, but who wouldn't when your daughter was missing. The teenagers did some things that were quite unimaginable. The neighbor, Adam, was too nice to be believable.

The secrecy of teenagers was one of the major themes and was very well done by Mr. Bell.

My only criticism is that BRING HER HOME was a bit long and dragged out.

All in all, though, the book kept me guessing, and the end was good. 4/5

This book was given to me free of charge and without compensation by the publisher and NetGalley in return for an honest review. ( )
  SilversReviews | Aug 9, 2017 |
Another excellent story by David Bell. There were many characters involved in this tale. Each one made this a real page turner. The story centers around three teenaged girls although Summer is the main character. I highly recommend this book to mystery lovers. ( )
  CandyH | Aug 1, 2017 |

In the breathtaking new thriller from David Bell, bestselling author of Since She Went Away and Somebody I Used to Know, the fate of two missing teenage girls becomes a father’s worst nightmare....

Just a year and a half after the tragic death of his wife, Bill Price’s fifteen-year-old daughter, Summer, and her best friend, Haley, disappear. Days later, the girls are found in a city park. Haley is dead at the scene, while Summer is left beaten beyond recognition and clinging to life.

As Bill holds vigil over Summer’s bandaged body, the only sound the unconscious girl can make is one cryptic and chilling word: No. And the more time Bill spends with Summer, the more he wonders what happened to her. Or if the injured girl in the hospital bed is really his daughter at all.

When troubling new questions about Summer’s life surface, Bill is not prepared for the aftershocks. He’ll soon discover that both the living and the dead have secrets. And that searching for the truth will tear open old wounds that pierce straight to the heart of his family...

READERS GUIDE INCLUDED

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 28 Nov 2016 21:15:14 -0500)

"In the breathtaking new thriller from David Bell, bestselling author of Since She Went Away and Somebody I Used to Know, the fate of two missing teenage girls becomes a father's worst nightmare ... Just a year and a half after the tragic death of his wife, Bill Price's fifteen-year-old daughter, Summer, and her best friend, Haley, disappear. Days later, the girls are found in a city park. Haley is dead at the scene, while Summer is left beaten beyond recognition and clinging to life. As Bill holds vigil over Summer's bandaged body, the only sound the unconscious girl can make is one cryptic and chilling word: No. And the more time Bill spends with Summer, the more he wonders what happened to her. Or if the injured girl in the hospital bed is really his daughter at all. When troubling new questions about Summer's life surface, Bill is not prepared for the aftershocks. He'll soon discover that both the living and the dead have secrets. And that searching for the truth will tear open old wounds that pierce straight to the heart of his family ..."--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,417,160 books! | Top bar: Always visible