Sulfur Springs by William Kent Krueger

A quick summer read. I have not read any other books in this series,but the book was written well enough that it didn’t matter. There isn’t really a mystery this is more of a “thriller” and figuring out who the mole in the organization was pretty easy.
The author is a little too preachy about the plight of illegals coming into this country but since is is a liberal from Minnesota, that was to be expected, as far as what side of the debate he would agree with.
That being said this author can write well crafted books that keeps your attention throughout. ( )
  zmagic69 | Aug 12, 2018 |
In William Kent Krueger's latest pulse-pounding thriller, Cork O'Connor's search for a missing man in the Arizona desert puts him at the center of a violent power struggle along the Mexican border, a struggle that might cost Cork everything and everyone he holds most dear.
Well, once again I find myself a little disappointed as I was looking for a better book than the last one. In this book, we do meet some new characters; Jocko, Sylvestor, and Rodriguez when Cork and Rainy take off for Arizonia to find Rainy's son, Peter. Now, I am missing all the people from Minnesota. The book has a political tone to it as it is about the Mexican border, immigrants and drugs. I did like all the descriptive writing and learned a lot about Arizona and their immigration problem but I just missed Cork's family and friends in Minnesota. This book brought me up to date with the series so I will have to wait until August to read the next in the series. Hopefully, I will get a good mystery back in Minnesota with Cork's family. I will anxiously await that book and I will recommend this series to all of my family and friends because it is a great series! ( )
  EadieB | Feb 28, 2018 |
Sulfur Springs is the latest installment in the Cork O’Connor series. Part Ojibwe, Cork is a former sheriff, now PI. He is ogichidaa, one who stands between evil and his people. This book is a departure from previous ones. It takes place in Arizona, far from Northern Minnesota, has little of the Ojibwe lore, and features none of Cork’s family or characters from previous books, other than his new wife Rainy Bisonette.

When Rainy receives a desperate, garbled call from her son Peter, Cork and Rainy travel to a border town in Arizona to learn that he has disappeared. When their car is blown up, they find themselves drawn into a complex web of drug smugglers, vigilantes, corrupt policemen, and Friends of the Desert who help refugees cross the border to safety. Cork learns that there is much about Rainy’s past that she has kept from him and begins to doubt whether he can even trust her.

I did not think this was one of the stronger books in the series. Perhaps I missed the familiar setting and characters of previous books. And I guessed early on one of the betrayers who is revealed at the end of the book. I definitely would not recommend it as a book to start the series with. Still, Krueger can write: sweat does not just roll down the body, it trickles down “like the crawl of flies.” And sympathy for the refugees and recognition that a border barrier will do little to keep out desperate people, both good and bad, may be a comment on current politics. Although not my favorite, it is still a good read. ( )
  jwrudn | Jan 4, 2018 |
Cork and Rainy travel to Arizona to rescue her son Peter, from her previous marriage who has been aiding terrified women and children stranded in this appalling and incredibly dangerous place. Coronado County is the locus for drug smuggling with its attendant Mexican crime cartels and their reign of terror over immigrant families seeking sanctuary in the US. Corruption within local law enforcement makes it very difficult for them to find trustworthy allies.
Danger is everywhere and bodies pile up rapidly as Cork is exposed to elements of Rainy's past that challenge their relationship and commitment to each other. Their personal values, beliefs and mores are seriously challenged as they work their way out of this bloody quagmire.
Fast paced as Cork needs to surmount hostile and dangerous terrain very different from the lakes and woods of his usual Minnesota environs. Different arena but his skills, knowledge and practices are equal to the task. ( )
  jamespurcell | Dec 2, 2017 |
SULFER SPRINGS by William Kent Krueger is the latest title in the Cork O’Connor mystery series.
“Cork O’Connor’s search for a missing man in the Arizona desert puts him at the center of a violent power struggle along the Mexican border.”
The missing man is his stepson, Peter. Cork’s wife, Rainy Bisonette, receives a troubling, garbled phone call from Peter which sends both Rainy and Cork to southern Arizona to check on Peter’s lifestyle and whereabouts.
This is a bit of a venue change from our usual northern Minnesota Tamarack County terrain. I missed it a bit - the Boundary Waters, the forest, the Anishinaabe (Ojibway) presence.
The background issues are very timely, also - maybe more so than in previous titles. Immigration, Border politics and conflicts, drug cartels, nasty, vengeful violence, drug use and rehabilitation. I did like Mr. Krueger’s thoughts and attempts to show a realistic portrayal of this area and its very emotional issues.
Mr. Krueger develops very detailed, strong characters; a sense of place; drama; suspense; conflict; and fascinating Indian legend and spirituality. William Kent Krueger is a very thoughtful writer and his signature character, Cork O’Connor, is a very thoughtful, reflective, insightful one. ( )
  diana.hauser | Oct 20, 2017 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 150114734X, Hardcover)

In William Kent Krueger’s latest pulse-pounding thriller, Cork O’Connor’s search for a missing man in the Arizona desert puts him at the center of a violent power struggle along the Mexican border, a struggle that might cost Cork everything and everyone he holds most dear.

On the Fourth of July, just as fireworks are about to go off in Aurora, Minnesota, Cork O’Connor and his new bride Rainy Bisonette listen to a desperate voicemail left by Rainy's son, Peter. The message is garbled and full of static, but they hear Peter confess to the murder of someone named Rodriguez. When they try to contact him, they discover that his phone has gone dead.

The following morning, Cork and Rainy fly to Coronado County in southern Arizona, where Peter has been working as a counselor in a well-known drug rehab center. When they arrive, they learn that Peter was fired six months earlier and hasn’t been heard from since. So they head to the little desert town of Sulfur Springs where Peter has been receiving his mail. But no one in Sulfur Springs seems to know him. They do, however, recognize the name Rodriguez. Carlos Rodriguez is the head of a cartel that controls everything illegal crossing the border from Mexico into Coronado County.

As they gather scraps of information about Peter, Cork and Rainy are warned that there is a war going on along the border. “Trust no one in Coronado County,” is a refrain they hear again and again. And to Cork, Arizona is alien country. The relentless heat and absence of water, tall trees, and cool forests feel nightmarish to him, as does his growing sense that Rainy might know more about what's going on than she's willing to admit. And if he can't trust Rainy, who can he trust?

Featuring Krueger’s signature talent of “creating strong characters, building drama and conflict, braiding in Indian legend and spirituality, and spinning a good yarn” (Minneapolis Star Tribune), Sulfur Springs is a fresh, exhilarating, and white-knuckle mystery starring one of the greatest heroes of fiction.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 28 Nov 2016 21:17:30 -0500)

"Cork O'Connor's search for a missing man in the Arizona desert puts him at the center of a violent power struggle along the Mexican border, a struggle that might cost Cork everything and everyone he holds most dear"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,350,129 books! | Top bar: Always visible