Sulfur Springs by William Kent Krueger

Cork and Rainy travel to Arizona to rescue her son Peter, from her previous marriage who has been aiding terrified women and children stranded in this appalling and incredibly dangerous place. Coronado County is the locus for drug smuggling with its attendant Mexican crime cartels and their reign of terror over immigrant families seeking sanctuary in the US. Corruption within local law enforcement makes it very difficult for them to find trustworthy allies.
Danger is everywhere and bodies pile up rapidly as Cork is exposed to elements of Rainy's past that challenge their relationship and commitment to each other. Their personal values, beliefs and mores are seriously challenged as they work their way out of this bloody quagmire.
Fast paced as Cork needs to surmount hostile and dangerous terrain very different from the lakes and woods of his usual Minnesota environs. Different arena but his skills, knowledge and practices are equal to the task. ( )
  jamespurcell | Dec 2, 2017 |
SULFER SPRINGS by William Kent Krueger is the latest title in the Cork O’Connor mystery series.
“Cork O’Connor’s search for a missing man in the Arizona desert puts him at the center of a violent power struggle along the Mexican border.”
The missing man is his stepson, Peter. Cork’s wife, Rainy Bisonette, receives a troubling, garbled phone call from Peter which sends both Rainy and Cork to southern Arizona to check on Peter’s lifestyle and whereabouts.
This is a bit of a venue change from our usual northern Minnesota Tamarack County terrain. I missed it a bit - the Boundary Waters, the forest, the Anishinaabe (Ojibway) presence.
The background issues are very timely, also - maybe more so than in previous titles. Immigration, Border politics and conflicts, drug cartels, nasty, vengeful violence, drug use and rehabilitation. I did like Mr. Krueger’s thoughts and attempts to show a realistic portrayal of this area and its very emotional issues.
Mr. Krueger develops very detailed, strong characters; a sense of place; drama; suspense; conflict; and fascinating Indian legend and spirituality. William Kent Krueger is a very thoughtful writer and his signature character, Cork O’Connor, is a very thoughtful, reflective, insightful one. ( )
  diana.hauser | Oct 20, 2017 |
Cork is leaving Minn. with his wife Rainey to find her missing son from a previous marriage. He left a cryptic message that said he killed someone. In Arizona they cannot find him until much research turns up a tale of drugs and immigrants trying to cross over the border from Mexico. ( )
  pgabj | Oct 13, 2017 |
Number 16 in the Cork O'Connor series, have been reading these for a long time, and am still excited when I see a new one being published. Cork's family, so familiar to me, like a visit to catch up on old friends. Cork himself, his role of defending the good against evil, which he has done many times. The very old Henri, the midi, a man of uncommon wisdom and peace. Wonder how it would feel to always see the clear path through life. In this one he only makes a brief appearance, but his words are quoted throughout, in times of great need.

Cork and Rainy find themselves in Arizona after an alarming call from Rainys grown son. They arrive in Coronado County where they find the selves in danger, not knowing who to trust. Close to the border there are many elements at play, drug cartels, crooked police, border patrols, a dangerous group again the illegal immigrants coming over the border, the coyotes who take advantage of the same, and those committed to helping them. There are gun fights, showdowns, some good supporting characters and best of all we learn a little more about Rainy.

There is also much of the author and his views in this one, he makes clear which side of the immigrant debate he stands on. This bothered me a little but then I thought if I could write, I probably would take the opportunity to use my writing as a platform. P!us, this is fiction, and it does all fit nicely in the story. Although we are asked not to quote from advance copies, I found these relatively simple words so powerful I decided to end my review with them, "In news reports, we watched the wall along the Mexican border expand, the folly of a belief that what we had to fear came from the outside."

ARC from publisher.
Publishes August 22nd from Atria. ( )
1 vote Beamis12 | Aug 8, 2017 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 150114734X, Hardcover)

In William Kent Krueger’s latest pulse-pounding thriller, Cork O’Connor’s search for a missing man in the Arizona desert puts him at the center of a violent power struggle along the Mexican border, a struggle that might cost Cork everything and everyone he holds most dear.

On the Fourth of July, just as fireworks are about to go off in Aurora, Minnesota, Cork O’Connor and his new bride Rainy Bisonette listen to a desperate voicemail left by Rainy's son, Peter. The message is garbled and full of static, but they hear Peter confess to the murder of someone named Rodriguez. When they try to contact him, they discover that his phone has gone dead.

The following morning, Cork and Rainy fly to Coronado County in southern Arizona, where Peter has been working as a counselor in a well-known drug rehab center. When they arrive, they learn that Peter was fired six months earlier and hasn’t been heard from since. So they head to the little desert town of Sulfur Springs where Peter has been receiving his mail. But no one in Sulfur Springs seems to know him. They do, however, recognize the name Rodriguez. Carlos Rodriguez is the head of a cartel that controls everything illegal crossing the border from Mexico into Coronado County.

As they gather scraps of information about Peter, Cork and Rainy are warned that there is a war going on along the border. “Trust no one in Coronado County,” is a refrain they hear again and again. And to Cork, Arizona is alien country. The relentless heat and absence of water, tall trees, and cool forests feel nightmarish to him, as does his growing sense that Rainy might know more about what's going on than she's willing to admit. And if he can't trust Rainy, who can he trust?

Featuring Krueger’s signature talent of “creating strong characters, building drama and conflict, braiding in Indian legend and spirituality, and spinning a good yarn” (Minneapolis Star Tribune), Sulfur Springs is a fresh, exhilarating, and white-knuckle mystery starring one of the greatest heroes of fiction.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 28 Nov 2016 21:17:30 -0500)

"Cork O'Connor's search for a missing man in the Arizona desert puts him at the center of a violent power struggle along the Mexican border, a struggle that might cost Cork everything and everyone he holds most dear"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,606,697 books! | Top bar: Always visible