Inverted World (New York Review Books…

Inverted World (New York Review Books Classics) (original 1974; edition 2008)

by Christopher Priest, John Clute (Afterword)

Title:Inverted World (New York Review Books Classics)
Authors:Christopher Priest
Other authors:John Clute (Afterword)
Info:NYRB Classics (2008), Paperback, 336 pages

Inverted World by Christopher Priest (Author) (1974)

English (37)  French (4)  Italian (1)  All languages (42)
Oh my. The first 20% were awesome, and I was ready to give it a 5 star rating!

Without spoilers, I can't really explain why, but oof. This is *almost* a really good novel. ( )
  adamwolf | Nov 24, 2015 |
Priest wrote The Prestige. This is a new wave sci-fi novel about a city that has to be pulled continually forward to avoid destruction. These new wave sci-fi books always have loads of sex in. I’m not sure if its because when it was written, or because the future’s going to be like that – but my present is nothing like it  The maths was baffling at times, and the twist a bit of a let-down – yet its still a very good book with plenty to think about. ( )
  marek2010 | Oct 24, 2015 |
I had a book review but GoodReads ate it so, uh, I recommend it! Will review it in more detail on the next episode of Books & Beer. ( )
  lt_ammar_test_02 | Oct 19, 2015 |
  lt_ammar_test | Oct 19, 2015 |
  gregorybrown | Oct 18, 2015 |
"... it is certainly one of the strangest SF novels of all time. Unfortunately the ending lets you down almost as badly as the traditional dream in Nineteenth Century stories."
added by RBeffa | editAnalog Science Fiction/Sciencd Fact, P. Shuyler Miller (Nov 7, 1975)

Priest, ChristopherAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lye, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Martin, BrunoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moore, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nenonen, KariTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stephenson,Andrew M.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whereso'er I turn my view,
All is strange, yet nothing new;
Endless labour all along,
Endless labour to be wrong
— Samuel Johnson
To my mother and father
Elizabeth Khan closed the door of the surgery, and locked it. (From Prologue)
I had reached the age of six hundred and fifty miles. (From Chapter 1 of Part 1)

Good condition

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:59 -0400)

The city is winched along tracks through a devastated land full of hostile tribes. Rails must be freshly laid ahead of the city and carefully removed in its wake. Rivers and mountains present nearly insurmountable challenges to the ingenuity of the city's engineers. But if the city does not move, it will fall farther and farther behind the "optimum" into the crushing gravitational field that has transformed life on Earth. The only alternative to progress is death. The secret directorate that governs the city makes sure that its inhabitants know nothing of this. Raised in common in creches, nurtured on synthetic food, prevented above all from venturing outside the closed circuit of the city, they are carefully sheltered from the dire necessities that have come to define human existence. And yet the city is in crisis. The people are growing restive, the population is dwindling, and the rulers know that, for all their efforts, slowly but surely the city is slipping ever farther behind the optimum. Helward Mann is a member of the city's elite. Better than anyone, he knows how tenuous is the city's continued existence. But the world--he is about to discover--is infinitely stranger than the strange world he believes he knows so well.… (more)

146 wanted4 pay1 pay

NYRB Classics

An edition of this book was published by NYRB Classics.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Inverted World by Christopher Priest was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,878,918 books! | Top bar: Always visible