Much Obliged, Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse

Much Obliged, Jeeves (1971)

by P. G. Wodehouse

Series: Jeeves (book 13)

English (13)  Dutch (3)  All languages (16)
I have never read a Wodehouse book before, until I picked this one up and became immersed more deeply, I thought it was P G Woodhouse! Shameful I know, but honest.
I have seen many Wodehouse serialisations on tele and I wanted to know three things from his writing;
Which POV they are written? −First person from the POV of Bertie (Bertram) Wooster.

How much balance between dialogue and descriptive writing. Answer: Mainly exposition through dialogue – which I preferred.
How much adjectival description of the dialogue is used? Not much is the basic answer.

I felt now was the time to experience the writing of Wodehouse. It was as old fashioned as I imagined it to be – oh how tastes change! I would have liked to see Anais Nin vs Wodehouse write-off now.

Why did I choose this particular book, when there are another 100 to pick. I chose it because it was one of the shorter ones!

I quite enjoyed it, but with John Green and David Mitchell queued up behind it, I’m not in a massive rush to read another one. Still it all adds to the tapestry and the lineage of being quintessentially English – past tense.

The Writing IMP
  IanMPindar | Aug 21, 2014 |
For whatever reason, this languished for a bit until I got a rip-roaring start into it and went nearly full tilt from begining to end. A Jeeves and Wooster novel is always a good thing. This one has the perpetually dippy Madeline Basset and the quite formidable Florence Craye as well as Aunt Dahlia and the odious Spode so it's quite a winner. Except for the seat for Market Snodbury, not won at all by Ginger Winship.
  amyem58 | Jul 15, 2014 |

The Writing IMP ( )
  IanMPindar. | Apr 22, 2014 |
The Wooster and Jeeves books all follow a predictable, but none the less delightful path. Some item offends Jeeves and there is a coolness between Man and Valet. One of Bertie's aunts is involved, either Agatha, a fearsome creature who Does Not Approve of Bertie, or his more easy going aunt Dahlia, whose years riding to the hounds have left her red of face, loud of voice and possessing a vocabulary that would startle a sailor. There are romantical entanglements, often involving Wooster's near escape from an unfortunate engagement, scrapes aplenty, wild misunderstandings and in the end Jeeves and his prodigious brain puts all to right.

In this installment, the offending article is neither an article of clothing, nor a banjolele, but a book held by Jeeves's club, the Junior Ganymedes. Bertie is menaced by the threat of engagement to not only Florence Craye, the beautiful but bossy juggernaut, but also Madeline Basset, who believes that every time a fairy blows its nose a baby is born. There is an election in Market Snodsbury to help an old pal win, a misunderstanding involving a silver porringer and hijinks galore. So much the usual.

These books are always fun, insubstantial and silly, but also clever and funny. ( )
  RidgewayGirl | Mar 1, 2014 |

P. G. Wodehouseprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mattila, RaijaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As I slid into my chair at the breakfast table and started to deal with the toothsome eggs and bacon which Jeeves had given of his plenty, I was conscious of a strange exhilaration, if I've got the word right.
Again I was compelled to pause and remind myself that an English gentleman does not slosh a sitting redhead, no matter what the provocation.  (Bertie Wooster, Chap. 8)
“Don't tell me she wants me to present the prizes at Market Snodbury Grammar School like Gussie?”

He was alluding to a mutual friend of ours name of Gussie Fink-Nottle, who, hounded by the aged relative into undertaking this task in the previous summer, had got pickled to the gills and made an outstanding exhibition of himself, setting up a mark at which all future orators would shoot in vain.  (Chap. 9)
She greeted me with one of those piercing view-halloos which she had picked up on the hunting field in those days when she had been an energetic chivvier of the British fox.   It sounded like a gas explosion and went through me from stem to stern.  I've never hunted, myself, but I understand that half the battle is being able to make noises like some jungle animal with dyspepsia, and I believe that Aunt Dahlia in her prime could lift fellow members of the Quorn and Pytchley out of their saddles with a single yip, though separated from them by two plowed fields and a stretch of woodland. (Chap. 12)
Aunt Dahlia's eye, while not in the same class as that of my Aunt Agatha, who is know to devour her young and conduct human sacrifices at the full moon, has lots of authority.  (Chap. 12)
UK title 'Much Obliged, Jeeves', US title 'Jeeves and the Tie That Binds'

Overlook Press blurb:
While staying with his Aunt Dahlia to help out in the election at Market Snodsbury, Bertie Wooster comes up against the familiar horrors of Florence Craye, his former fiancée, and Roderick Spode, one-time head of the Black Shorts, in a plot tangle from which, as usual, only the ingenuity of Jeeves can save him.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743203623, Paperback)

A Bertie and Jeeves classic, featuring the Junior Ganymede, a Market Snodsbury election, and the Observer crossword puzzle.

Jeeves, who has saved Bertie Wooster so often in the past, may finally prove to be the unwitting cause of this young master's undoing in Jeeves and the Tie that Binds. The Junior Ganymede, a club for butlers in London's fashionable West End, requires every member to provide details about the fellow he is working for. When information is inadvertently revealed to a dangerous source, it falls to Jeeves to undo the damage.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:00 -0400)

"While staying with his Aunt Dahlia to help out in the election at Market Snodsbury, Bertie Wooster comes up against the familiar horrors of Florence Craye, his former fiancee, and Roderick Spode, head of the Black Shorts, in a plot tangle from which, as usual, only the ingenuity of Jeeves can save him"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,253,685 books! | Top bar: Always visible