The Want Monsters: And How They Stopped…

The Want Monsters: And How They Stopped Ruling My World

by Chelo Manchego

621,268,033 (3)None

The nameless hero has a problem - his want monster Oskar wants, wants and wants, often with disastrous results. This is the tale of how the hero learns to accept and tame his want monster.

The illustrations are done on a color-saturated background, which I have not seen before and really enjoyed. The story is a parable about controlling your impulses, and appreciating when you have enough without always wanting more.

Overall, it is pretty cute, and would be a helpful option when discussing moderation and mindfulness to children.

Also - there is a page at the back for the reader to draw their own want monster, which is a great interactive feature.

**eARC Netgalley** ( )
  Critterbee | Apr 16, 2018 |
**This book was reviewed via Netgalley**

Manchego’s The Want Monsters is a neat little picture book designed to help teach kids how to manage their wants that threaten to go out of hand. Our narrator is a young boy that has a 'ginormous’ want monster named Oskar, who makes him want to eat too much junk food, play videogames too much, and be the centre of attention. One day, a wee caterpillar points out that, to get along with Oskar without being overwhelmed by him, the key was to just let Oskar be Oskar. Over time, Oskar went from being a huge want monster to a tiny one.

I read this book with my cubs, who really liked it and the book prompted some thoughtful discussion. Such feelings can be so overwhelming for young kids, and sometimes resisting can cause extreme anxiety. The Want Monsters points out that our own personal want monsters do serve useful functions, pushing one to excel, or to be compassionate or empathic. The problem is when it gets out of control. It teaches kids that *they* are not their want monster. Having wants is not bad, so long as one doesn't overindulge. Acknowledge the excessive want rather than denying it's right to exist, then go about your day without giving in. Tantrums (I see as anxiety) will eventually pass. Great lessons presented well!

🎻🎻🎻🎻🎻 Highly recommended
  PardaMustang | Nov 30, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,538,756 books! | Top bar: Always visible