Bob, Not Bob! by Liz Garton Scanlon

Bob, Not Bob!

by Liz Garton Scanlon, Audrey Vernick

Other authors: Matthew Cordell (Illustrator)

I think the theme was selected to have children focused on the people only not the whole book.
  nawal18 | Jun 8, 2018 |
This book is so funny! it is about a young boy who is sick and his nose is so stuffed he keeps calling his mom but it comes out as "bob" his dog bob keeps coming to his rescue as well as a bunch of other phrases become twisted. It reminds me of me when im sick and even as an adult sometimes I wish I had my mom. You can picture it through the story what he must look like and be going through. It can even go hand in hand with the germs book in a unit about germs or taking care of yourself and you can ask children questions like "what germ do you think he got?" and "what does he need to do to feel better?" or how the text connects to their experiences being sick.
  micaylawhitfield | Jun 6, 2018 |
The perfect book to read when you have a head cold and need a little humor. ( )
  VaterOlsen | Feb 9, 2018 |
What a fun story - it even tells you on the cover "to be read as though you have the worst cold ever"

Humor!!! Feeling bad and wanting Mom, but it sounds like 'Bob' the dog ... ( )
  melodyreads | Jul 12, 2017 |
When Little Louie gets sick, all he wants is his mother. Unfortunately, he's so stuffed up that he can't seem to get the word 'Mom' out right, coming up with 'Bob' - the name of his dog - instead. His growing frustration at his inability to communicate is mirrored by the confusion of those around him, as he continually declares that he wants "Bob, Not Bob!"

Anyone who's ever had a head cold can empathize with Louie's situation, as he struggles to make himself understood. Children, in particular, will find this story amusing, and I would imagine that with Louie's "head cold" voice, it would make for an excellent read-aloud. The artwork by Matthew Cordell is appealing, in a scratchy, cartoon-like style that puts me in mind of Quentin Blake a little bit. Cordell also illustrated co-author Audrey Vernick's First-Grade Dropout, and his style seems suited to her humorous stories. Recommended to anyone looking for picture-books that address the theme of illness with humor. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Mar 30, 2017 |

Scanlon, Liz Gartonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vernick, Audreymain authorall editionsconfirmed
Cordell, MatthewIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Little Louie is stuck in bed with a bad cold. His nose is clogged, his ears are crackling, and his brain feels full. All he wants is his mom to take care of him, but whenever he calls out for her, his stuffed-up nose summons slobbery dog Bob instead!

"When a young boy gets a cold, he just wants his mommy. But his stuffy nose makes it difficult for him to call out to his mom--not 'Bob,' who happens to be the family dog"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,339,983 books! | Top bar: Always visible