Han Solo at Stars' End by Brian Daley

Han Solo at Stars' End (1979)

by Brian Daley

I read this less because I'm a Star Wars fan (I'm not at all) than because I just needed a hit of nostalgia and wanted to take a trip back to the sort of book I read when I was young (I read one of the other Daley books when I was 12.) This novel was written when there was only one film in existence, so there isn't a lot of lore to drag the story down or limit the author. It really can be read as just a science fiction adventure, unconnected to anything else. There's also none of that Jedi stuff, just a single passing reference, so it's more science fiction and not science fantasy like the films, or more recent spin-offs (I imagine). The only drawback is that you know nothing really terrible is going to happen to the two leads. Brian Daley was a solid writer and it's a shame he left us so soon.

P.S. Nude catgirls are a SF/F trope that never gets old. ( )
  chaosfox | Feb 22, 2019 |
scifi
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Han Solo trusts no one. So when the Authority demands that the Millenium Falcon be brought in for "inspection," Han knows he has to prepare for ulterior motives. And when the best illegal ship rebuilder in the galaxy disappears, Han and Chewbacca must find him. After all, the Falcon's overhaul will require very special talents.

Their search pits them against powerful and ruthless enemies out to destroy them, and leads the loyal pair through a dramatic... ( )
  Tutter | Feb 23, 2015 |
When a book is under 200 pages, there really isn't a whole lot to say without giving away most of the plot fairly quickly. Suffice it to say that Han Solo at Stars' End, while not about to win any prizes or anything, was a really fun book to read. Brian Daley throws his reader directly into the action and except for a brief pause now and then it's a frenetic pace from one harrowing situation to the next with our hero Han Solo and his trusty companion Chewbacca the Wookie.

This is a great side-story from the old days of the Star Wars galaxy before the gaps were all filled in by episodes I-III, heck before the Empire Struck Back or there was a Return of a Jedi, the Clone Wars were just an event from the past that were referred to from time to time, but not really understood by the fan/reader/viewer. That's part of what made this story so fun. It took me back to a time when Star Wars was just Star Wars, not Episode IV: A New Hope. Man, I loved that stuff back in the day and this story took me back to the adventure and romance of that far, far away Star Wars galaxy a long time ago.

If you grew up with the Star Wars franchise and loved it as I did, do yourself a favor and pick this up. You won't have any great literary epiphany, but you'll have a rollicking good time with characters and a world that you know and love. ( )
1 vote StefanY | Aug 14, 2012 |
One of the first Star Wars novels ever! This was only about Han and his adventures and not the Jedi, but still a Star Wars novel. I'm always surprised this doesn't get more credit. ( )
  Karlstar | Sep 7, 2009 |
To Poul Anderson and Gordon R. Dickson, for their kind words to a new guy and Owen Lock: learned editor and friend, who'll race to Antares for pinks, any time
"It's a warship all right. Damn!"

DANGER AT STARS' END

Han Solo was a trampfreighter captain, a smuggler and a free-lance law-bender when it suited him. Together with his Wookiee pal Chewbacca, he roamed the galaxy in the starship Millennium Falcon, --owing nothing to anyone -- human, 'droid or otherwise. If the Authority took a dim view of some of his activities,'well, that was the Authority's problem.

Or so Han Solo thought.

Then the Authority informed him he would have to bring the Millennium Falcon up to certain specific technical standards. "Safety standards;' they had said -- but Han knew better. He also knew a safe planet where Doc fixed up starships -- no questions asked. Unfortunately Doc had disappeared.

His daughter Jessa was willing to make the necessary repairs; she was even willing to provide the waiver that would keep investigators out of Han's starship for a long time. All Han and Chewbacca had to do was pick up some undercover agents at the Authority Data Center on Orron III and then find Jessa's father.

Unfortunately neither Han nor Chewbacca could foresee the incredible twists of fate that would pit them against powerful and ruthless enemies bent on their destruction...events that would drive them to a place of rocky desolation, an airless speck few star charts even knew existed -- the ominously quiet Star's End!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345283554, Mass Market Paperback)

Han Solo at Stars' End [Sep 12, 1979] Daley, Brian

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:39 -0400)

When Han's starship needs repairs, he heads for a safe planet where Doc fixes starships, no questions asked. But Doc has disappeared and Han and Chewbacca are pitted against powerful enemies.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,558,104 books! | Top bar: Always visible