5/6/92 by Eric Clapton

Recently added byburningdervish

"For Your Love"

Harford, Connecticut

May 6, 1992

CD-R2 - Geetarz 094/095 - Aud 4 (Scale 1-6)

TRADE ONLY; NEVER FOR $ALE !

Disc 1:

1) White Room

2) Pretending

3) Anything For Your Love

4) I Shot the Sheriff

5) Running On Faith

6) She's Waiting

7) Circus Left Town (acoustic)

8) Tears in Heaven (acoustic)

9) Before You Accuse Me

5) Layla

6) Band Intro / Crossroads

7) Sunshine of Your Love

Geetarz Comments:

One of my all-time personal favorite "Top 5" EC performances - and that ain't no joke!

This is a hot, on the money performance. EC comes out riffing away, and kicks into a blistering version of "White Room", great backing vocals and chorus, and finishes off with one of his finest solo breaks ever.

Not missing a beat, the band launches into "Pretending", a version with a different feel than that played in the 1990-1991 tours, this one driven by Ferrone's massive drums. Here, too, EC's solo work is great, as he gives his Vox wha a workout and really gets "into" the solos.

But the real killer here is a moving version of "Anything For Your Love", my personal favorite for this often-overlooked song. EC's first solo is brilliant, and cutting, but it's the second solo that just tears the place down.

Unfortunately, on audio you don't get to watch EC dance during the intro to "Sheriff" but you can imagine - a nice version, with a more authentic reggae feel than many of the 1990-1991 performances.

EC breaks a string at the intro to the extended "Sheriff" solo and goes over to Lee to swap guitars, and doesn't miss a beat.

"Running On Faith" is notable as EC and Nathan kick into a neat little riff at the end that was only performed on some of the 1992 dates that really "bumps up" the end of the song.

A straight ahead rock-and-roll version of "She's waiting" precedes an intimate stand-up version of "Circus".

The crowd's reaction to "Tears in Heaven" is of course huge, given that it's one of ECs first public performances since the airing of the "unplugged" broadcast. It's interesting to compare this to the reaction from the earlier shows on the tour, where the audiences were clearly unfamiliar with the material.

A great version of "Before You Accuse Me" starts up the electric set again, with a different "string bending" riff than EC usually plays.

After a nice solo break by Andy and extending soloing by EC, the band "kicks down" real soft and EC takes up the beat, with quiet "chickin pickin", the band then kicks into an uptempo jazzy feel, moving towards a "blues" feel again, and then, with another tempo change, EC and band kick into a blistering finale. Easily one of EC's best performances of the song.

For "Tearing Us Apart", EC paces the stage, rounding the bandstand while soloing, and for the finale strolling the the edge of the stage, slamming down into a massive chord as he whips around before a blistering closing solo - one of my favorite versions of this song.

"Old Love" features great performances by all, but on the finale EC breaks ANOTHER string and really struts his stuff, doesn't miss a beat at all, playing around the missing notes.

Chuck Leavell's piano work really sets off an energetic "Badge", capped off by one of the few Andy Fairweather-Low electric solos I've ever liked!

Even "Wonderful Tonight" isnt' that bad, with Leavell's nice piano work and a sweet solo by EC. Holy shit, did I just write that? Good grief, I need a Tylenol.

No 'A Remark You Made' Jaco interlude here, EC begins with a torrid solo and then the band explodes into "Layla", marred only by Andy's inability to play the riff well.

For the encore, EC comes off and kicks into one of my favorite "jams", riffing along before beginning the band introductions.

They then proceed into a version of "Crossroads" with a definite "Bo Diddly" beat, quite different from the "rock" style arrangement. The band really rocks out the evening with "Sunshine of Your Love". A favorite part, before the drum solo EC gets into a great jam, riffing away.

A great, high-octane show - highly recommended.

Sourced from an audience shot video and remastered, this version is slightly better than that found on "Fascinating Night" (ECDR).

Lineage:

While aimlessly wandering the aisles at a guitar show in the early 90s, I bought a copy of this show (a steal at $20, haha) and promptly wore out the tape playing it. A few years later, thanks to the magic of the intertubes, I was fortunate enough to run into the taper online, and obtained a copy in trade directly from his master.

This audio was made solely for my own enjoyment, and may have limitations that others can't surpass. There are those poor souls who can't listen to audience recordings, or who are so distracted by recording quality that they can't focus on the music. The tape has occasional dropouts, and VHS tracking noise. I've watched / listened to this performance so many times, I'm familiar with every crackle and dropout, so it's likely they don't even register with me.

At any rate, after I transferred my (new) VHS copy to CD, I was able (with some arm twisting and calling in some favors) to get a friend to do a little PC "remastering" of the source (simple volume and light EQ, nothing major, just things I didn't fiddle with at the time).

Master VHS > VHS > Panasonic Industrial AG-1950 > HHb CDR-800 > CD-R > Remastering > CD-R > EAC v. 0.99 Prebeta 5 (Secure, Offset Correct) > FLAC

In the intervening years, the taper has been kind enough to record his master VHS to DVD; it may be time to revist the idea of an audio version of this show.

But for now, here ya go ...

Artwork by CDonatto, EAC logs, info file, and checksums included.

"Fascinating Night"

Hartford, Connecticut

May 6, 1992

ECDR-921/923 - CD-R2 - Aud 3 (Scale 1-6)

Disc 1:

4. Layla

5. Crossroads

6. Sunshine of Your Love

Geetarz Comments:

This release on the ECDR label is, like the Geetarz version ("For Your Love", Geetarz 094/095), sourced from VHS but is of slightly lesser quality as it seems to be from a higher generation source and has not been remastered.

ECDR > CD-R > EAC v. 0.99 Prebeta 5 (Secure, Offset Correct) > FLAC

Artwork, checksums, info file, and EAC logs included.

Harford, Connecticut

May 6, 1992

NTSC DVD-R2 - TRADE ONLY; NEVER FOR $ALE !

Set List:

1) White Room

2) Pretending

3) Anything For Your Love

4) I Shot the Sheriff

5) Running On Faith

6) She's Waiting

7) Circus Left Town (acoustic)

8) Tears in Heaven (acoustic)

9) Before You Accuse Me

5) Layla

6) Band Intro / Crossroads

7) Sunshine of Your Love

Geetarz Comments:

A great, high-octane show - highly recommended.

Lineage:

Master VHS > DVD (trade with taper) > YOU !

Technical Stuff:

Framerate: 29.970 Hz

Resolution: 704x480

Aspect ratio: 4x3

Audio Stream:

Type: Dolby Digital (AC3)

Bitrate: 256 Kbps

Number of channels: 2

Sampling Frequency: 48khz

Sampling Bits: 16

Artwork by CDonatto, EAC logs, info file, and checksums included.

Average: No ratings.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,134,149 books! | Top bar: Always visible