The Mask of Sanity by Jacob M. Appel

The Mask of Sanity

by Jacob M. Appel

When you find out, after years of marriage, your wife is cheating on you, what you will do? Normal sane person will argue with wife or file divorce? Well, here the person is psychopath. Dr. Balint, successful cardiologist, a good son, and father of two daughters. He is nice person and content in life. When finds out his wife is having an affair with his colleague, he plans to murder his wife’s lover to save his marriage. And to cover it series of murders and turns to serial killer wearing ‘the mask of sanity’.

This book solely focus on the thought process of a psychopath. That was the best thing of the book. No nonsense details of affairs and no gross details of murders. To the point story about two face life of Balint- a heartless, remorseless killer masked by ethical cardiologist - and his point of views and justifications for murders. I loved writing and story of the book, it’s brilliant. I liked witty lines in the book which were great relief during the constant tension of the book. No single character is likable, they were interesting but not likable. Story is steady paced and thrilling.

There could be so many twist in book. At some point I started thinking that Balint is wrong about his wife or Sugarman. But there is no mystery or twist and still this book made me curious at every point- When he is going to kill his victim and how, what is going to happen in the end, whether he will end up in jail or not, will he ever stop killing!

End of the book was suspenseful. Is author writing a sequel of the book? If so, I really want to read it.

If you are interested in psychology thriller and want a change from typical looking psychopath, this book is for you.

(Note: I received a review copy from the author, in exchange for an honest review. Thanks to author, publisher, and LibraryThing.) ( )
  Yesha88 | Apr 24, 2017 |
A new look from what I've typically come to expect from a novel about a psychopath!

The reader meets Jeremy Balint at age 34, a respected cardiologist, devoted husband, loving father of two girls and an attentive son to his elderly parents. Balint was never aloof or socially awkward in fact he had been popular with his peers from an early age. He had no history of cruelty to small animals as you often hear about in a psychopath/sociopaths childhood. No apparent violent nature. This was a seemingly ideal life in suburbia until a small mishap on the drive home leads to a chance discovery that could end most marriages. Within days Balint calmly makes a decision. With no more emotion involved than deciding whether to take an umbrella if the sky is overcast Balint's psychopathic mind decides murder is the only just solution.

Author, New York psychiatrist, Jacob Appel, shows how emotionally detached a psychopath can study murder, course his own path and as just detached become a serial killer. The chilling part of this story is from all outward appearances the psychopath could be your child's teacher, the mailman or the person you share your bed with. Personally I like a little more of a wrapped up ending but it does leave you wondering. ( )
1 vote mtchrista | Apr 4, 2017 |
Many thanks to NetGalley, The Permanent Press and Jacob M. Appel for the advance copy in exchange for an honest review.

This chilling tale kept me interested throughout the book. It tells of a successful doctor who finds out that his wife is having an affair. He decides that the best way to hold on to all that’s dear to him is to kill the man his wife is having the affair with. The author really gives a glimpse of the mind of a sociopath when we see the doctor plan to become a serial killer in order to cover up his first murder. I would recommend this book to any thriller lover.
  CorTim2 | Apr 4, 2017 |
Not Kindle Unlimited, thinking won it thru LibraryThing, not positive, didn't like the character and assume that was meant to be, the story overall was still fine, just really odd to even find the right descriptions to review. ( )
  Key_Largo | Mar 26, 2017 |
was a little slow going in the beginning for me, but partway in I just couldn't stop reading! The mask of sanity is very well written and I would definitely recommend it! ( )
  Taysmama | Mar 16, 2017 |
Killing, Balint discovered, was the easy part.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,901,500 books! | Top bar: Always visible