Jesus: Uncovering the Life, Teachings, and…

by Marcus J. Borg

288None39,006 (3.93)12
Member:CKEshelman
Title:Jesus: Uncovering the Life, Teachings, and Relevance of a Religious Revolutionary
Authors:Marcus J. Borg
Info:HarperSanFrancisco (2006), Hardcover, 352 pages
Collections:Your library, LOANED OUT, WSU Campus Ministry Items

Jesus: Uncovering the Life, Teachings, and Relevance of a Religious Revolutionary by Marcus J. Borg

Despite being a very dense book this overview of the historical Jesus is quite readable and extremely enjoyable. Borg goes through a lot of material but he has organized it such that you can easily go back and re-read chapters to refresh your memory. If you are looking for one book to start your historical Jesus studies I would heartily recommend this one. ( )
  ncnsstnt | Apr 10, 2011 |
This is an important book to read in these days of fuzzy thinking about Christianity and with the doubt (per President Obama) that we Americans "do not consider ourselves a Christian nation." Borg writes about a political Jesus who calls us to live an unconventional life centered in God free from the bondage of wealth and pride. Jesus had a passion for God's Kingdom involving a transformation on earth with justice for all. That type of justice is the social form of compassion resulting in God's will for peace and plenty on earth. Personally, I see that message as a noble one for Christianity and the world in general. Are you listening, Mr. President?

Borg's insights make Bible reading more relevant to today's world. He takes theology down to the level of the layperson who just wants a more meaningful life and deeper relationship with God. He advocates less doctrine and more following Jesus. This is a book to be reread and contemplated. It's the type of book of which I will glean new wisdom with each thoughtful reading. In the end, it made Jesus more real to me and allowed me to go deeper in my spiritual quest. ( )
1 vote Donna828 | Apr 10, 2009 |
Alan Jones, Dean of Grace Cathedral, writes, "Borg liberates Jesus from the rigidity of fundamentalism and the aridity of intellectualism. He also graciously liberates readers from the shackles of what many have thought they were supposed to believe about Jesus if they were to remain Christians."

Walter Wink, author of The Human Being, writes, "In every generation there is a handful of writers of whom it can be said, 'Read everything they write.' Marcus Borg is one of these today."
  WARM | Jan 9, 2009 |
Many of Borg's conclusions will resonate with traditional Christians. He believes that Jesus performed miracles; proclaimed the kingdom of God; rose from the dead; and that the nature of his post-Easter appearances leads the Church to rightfully designate him "Son of God" and, even, "God." There are enough differences, however, in Borg's approach to Christology to plant him firmly in the realm of the emergent church. For example, Borg believes that the concept of a "death for sins" should not be relegated to a dominant status but downplayed or relativized (that is, viewed alongside all the other New Testament teachings on the cross). He eschews any approach to the cross that entertains substitionary atonement or appeasement.
  wdewysockie | Aug 10, 2008 |
  pdupree | May 17, 2007 |
added by Christa_Josh | editJournal of the Evangelical Theological Society, Dennis Ingolfsland (Dec 1, 2007)

For Dom and Sarah Crossan, dear friends, teachers, and companions on the way
This may be the last comprehensive book about Jesus that I write. (Preface)
We live in a "Christ-haunted" and "Christ-forgetting" culture.

From top Jesus expert Marcus Borg, a completely updated and revised version of his vision of Jesus—as charismatic healer, sage, and prophet, a man living in the power of the spirit and dedicated to radical social change.

Fully revised and updated, this is Borg's major book on the historial Jesus. He shows how the Gospel portraits of Jesus, historically seen, make sense. Borg takes into account all the recent developments in historical Jesus scholarship, as well as new theories on who Jesus was and how the Gospels reflect that.

The original version of this book was published well before popular fascination with the historical Jesus. Now this new version takes advantage of all the research that has gone on since the 80s. The revisions establish it as Borg's big but popular book on Jesus.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:24 -0400)

Almost two thousand years after his death, Jesus continues to be front-page news in the United States. Yet American Christians are deeply divided about what it means to follow him. Bible scholar Borg takes us on a journey to discover who Jesus was, what he taught, and why he still matters today. Borg argues that how we see Jesus affects how we see Christianity and reveals a new way of seeing--a new perspective that can overcome the differences between the literalists and progressives, a path that emphasizes following "the way" of Jesus, the original name of the Jesus movement. Jesus remains the decisive revelation of God, but we now encounter him as both a reality and a role model centered in God, focused on both personal and political transformation, emphasizing practices rather than beliefs, and exemplifying a faith characterized by deep commitment and gentle certitude.--From publisher description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,431,149 books! | Top bar: Always visible