White Death by Jack Castle

White Death

by Jack Castle

2414443,774 (4)2

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was a pretty good read. It almost reminded me of a Douglas Preston and Lincoln child adventure or maybe a James Rollins novel. I enjoyed it but I wish there was more to the story. It seemed to end abruptly. The bears...what happened to the bears??? ( )
  DragonxSong | Jun 26, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
It was indeed an action thriller. It gripped me right from the prologue, until the very last scene. Mr. Castle's experience during his travels in Alaska and his apparent encounters with wild life has lent a real dimension to this book.
There were some great, some weird but lovable, some crooked characters. I loved the protagonists and I hope they return in a sequel.
I would have loved it even more if there had been some more of a "Treasure Hunting" angle built in, some more clues that they had to follow to reach the dig site and the chambers within. May be it is just the Treasure hunter in me talking :-) ( )
  RinkuGeeyo | Mar 14, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really enjoyed this book. This book is set in the Arctic Circle at a research facility. The author starts the book off with the Iditarod dog race and left me hanging and clutching my seat until the very end. The story is very well written and has a few twists and turns, including more than one "bad guy". I can't wait to read the author's other books. ( )
  galadryl | Mar 3, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
It’s sometime in the near future and something large and lethal is prowling Alaska.

After being dressed down at the Arctic Imperative Conference, by the President of Iceland no less, archaeologist Kate Foster slinks away in academic disgrace for proposing that beneath the Bering Strait are the remnants of a very old civilization.

But a shadowy employer decides she just the woman for a remote research station on an island off Alaska.

Too bad the entire crew at the base is murdered before she gets there.

Foster tags along with a group of Alaskan police investigators going to the crime scene.
John Carpenter’s The Thing crossed with one of my boyhood favorites, Alistair Maclean’s Night without End. Add some archaeology like something out of Graham Hancock, forteana, blizzards, monsters, ancient ruins, and mercs, and you’ve got a winner.

Can’t say more. Castle gives us a taunt, short novel. Even the walk-on characters there to show us how the monster works are well done. Saying more would blow some surprises.

Sure, in parts, its formula fiction, but it’s well-done formula fiction. There’s enough here for a sequel, but one isn’t necessary.

Sure, Jack Castle (not the author’s real name) is a memorable name. But now it’ll be a good memory. ( )
  RandyStafford | Feb 15, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I loved the plotline of this book, it was fast paced with good characters - looking forward to reading more from this author ( )
  MrsHumphreyJr | Feb 5, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Jack Castle's book White Death is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Jack Castle's book White Death was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,632,040 books! | Top bar: Always visible