Bellewether by Susanna Kearsley

Bellewether (original 2018; edition 2018)

by Susanna Kearsley (Author)

1911591,766 (3.99)5
Member:Gingermama
Title:Bellewether
Authors:Susanna Kearsley (Author)
Info:Sourcebooks Landmark (2018), 448 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

Bellewether by Susanna Kearsley (2018)

The cover is absolutely gorgeous isn’t it! Between that and the book’s synopsis I was hooked! I love reading stories that alternate between the present and the past and I am an avid fan of historical fiction so Bellewether was right up my alley. It’s an engaging story with great characters, well written and it truly did “grab me and didn’t let me go”. I’m eager to read another book by Ms. Kearsley!

I received this book for free. A favorable review was not required and all views expressed are my own. Thank you to Ms. Kearsley, publishing and Netgalley for the opportunity to read and review this book. ( )
  mrsrenee | Jan 22, 2019 |
Not quite as good as some of her others but kept my attention. ( )
  TaurusReader | Oct 11, 2018 |
While this wasn't my favorite of Susanna Kearsley's novel (The Winter Sea will maintain that distinction), it was a satisfying piece of historical fiction. Moving between a contemporary timeline and one set in the eighteenth century, this novel is steeped in mystery and romance. It does take a little for the novel to get into the story, but the atmosphere is rich and interesting enough to hold the reader's attention. A good overall read - wish there was more historical fiction like this! ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Oct 10, 2018 |
Loved, loved, LOVED this book. I was lucky enough to meet Susannah Kearsley (who is unbelievably nice, btw) at BookCon this year and get an advance copy, and I have to say this book was well worth the wait. It hasn’t beat out The Shadowy Horses as my favorite Kearsley, but it is a solid addition to her library of fantastic titles. Lydia’s story, set in 1759, is just as engaging as Charley’s story in the present day. I particularly enjoyed the history interweaved into this narrative, as I hadn’t read a book set during the Seven Years War before. Stories that mix the past and present just really work for me, and this was no exception. Highly recommended! ( )
1 vote carlie892 | Oct 10, 2018 |
Told in the form of a parallel narrative, the tale opens with Charley beginning her task of restoring and curating a pre-revolutionary-era home in a small town on Long Island, and preparing to convert it into a local museum. In addition to its historical significance to the local residents, rumor has it that the house was also associated with a murder in the 1750s. In alternating chapters, the true story regarding Lydia Wilde and her family's experience billeting a French prisoner of the Seven Years' War is revealed.

Another well-done work of historical intrigue by Kearsley. It was a treat to learn not only more about this particular war, but also about the complex process of historic building restoration and object curation. ( )
  ryner | Oct 1, 2018 |

It's late summer, war is raging, and families are torn apart by divided loyalties and deadly secrets. In this complex and dangerous time, a young French Canadian lieutenant is captured and billeted with a Long Island family, an unwilling and unwelcome guest. As he begins to pitch in with the never-ending household tasks and farm chores, Jean-Philippe de Sabran finds himself drawn to the daughter of the house. Slowly, Lydia Wilde comes to lean on Jean-Philippe, true soldier and gentleman, until their lives become inextricably intertwined. Legend has it that the forbidden love between Jean-Philippe and Lydia ended tragically, but centuries later, the clues they left behind slowly unveil the true story. Part history, part romance, and all kinds of magic, Susanna Kearsley's latest masterpiece will draw you in and never let you go, even long after you've closed the last page. It's 1759 and the world is at war, pulling the North American colonies of Britain and France into the conflict. When captured French officers are brought to Long Island to be billeted in private homes, it upends the lives of the Wilde family. Lydia Wilde, struggling to keep the peace in her fracturing family following her mother's death, has little time or kindness to spare for her unwanted guests. And Canadian lieutenant Jean-Philippe de Sabran has little desire to be there. But by the war's end they'll both learn love, honour, and duty can form tangled bonds that are not broken easily. Their doomed romance becomes a local legend, told and re-told through the years until the present day, when conflict of a different kind brings Charley Van Hoek to Long Island to be the new curator of the Wilde House Museum. As Charley starts to delve into the history of Lydia and her French officer, it becomes clear that the Wilde House holds more than just secrets, and Charley discovers the legend might not have been telling the whole story.… (more)

Susanna Kearsley is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,557,037 books! | Top bar: Always visible