Mind Games (Lock & Mori) by Heather W. Petty

Mind Games (Lock & Mori)

by Heather W. Petty

“…Am I afraid of what you might be? Or am I afraid of what I know for certain I would be without the constraints of law?” He looked me straight in the eyes and asked, “Am I more afraid of you or myself?”

“Mind Games” picks up just a couple of weeks after the first book so not much time has passed for the characters.

Mori’s situation is one of those that really frustrate, fascinate, and scare the crap out of me at the same time. Her abusive father might have been arrested, but he was a well liked cop, and he has plenty of guys on the inside willing to stick to his side rather than the side of the law.

Mori herself highly developed as a character in this installment of the series. It’s still too early to tell if she’ll actually follow the footsteps of her namesake or not, but the confusion, intention, and ability was prevalent though this book.

Lock is brilliant as always, but skittish around Mori as he works toward her forgiveness for something he’s not really all that sorry for. He also seems to struggle with how much space to give Mori; if he should leave her alone with her thoughts as she wants or pull her closer and risk being pushed away.

Overall, Mind Games wasn’t as action packed as the first book but it was shrouded in mystery. This installment of the series seemed to be a build up for the third book, which will hopefully have more of the action we saw in the first book. ( )
  ReadingBifrost | Apr 19, 2017 |
Mind Games starts only two weeks after the events of the last book. James "Mori" Moriarty finds herself in a bit of a mess as her family is constantly the target of a media smear campaign, a police department who seems to have a grudge against her as well as anonymous threatening letters that appear at her doorstep. Sherlock Holmes has constantly tried to be by her side and get back into her good graces, much to her annoyance. However, the two will have to find a way to work together if Mori wants to stop her father from being released from Prison as well as find a new killer who's only goal seems to be to frame Mori for her father's crimes.

This second book has the same great characters as the first, the same tone as the first (surprisingly just as dark) and does have a rather interesting, albeit somewhat predictable, mystery. The book, however, does tend to meander a bit. It focuses a lot on the relationship between Mori and Sherlock quite a bit more. Which, while interesting and more established than the first book, can be a little grating by the seventh time that Mori mentions she can't be with Sherlock while still being with Sherlock. The book also suffers with dragging out the mystery until the very end of the book, leading to most of the book simply forgetting it exists until someone brings it up again.

There are a lot of great scenes with Sherlock in this book that we didn't really get in the first book. Although Mori is the main character, most of the character development is focused on Sherlock and his determination to not only keep going forward but to try to keep Mori safe and by his side. Mori definitely gets darker as a character, as her entire determination is focused around killing her father, as it was by the ending of the last book.

Once again, the book totes that this is a Sherlock Holmes/James Moriarty story. And once again, there is very little that connects this to the classic stories. Arguably, there are more references in this book than were in the last, including a mention of a group of criminals that were hypothetically run by Mori, another mention of Watson and Gregson. However, anyone looking for a direct adaptation will again be highly disappointed. Take this story as it's own story. Don't try to compare it to the Sherlock Holmes novels.

If you liked the first book, you'll definitely like Mind Games, which plays less like another story and more like a continuation of the first book. The biggest flaw about the book is the painful cliffhanger ending. Otherwise, it's just as fun as the last book, if not more and I highly recommend it for a quick and enjoyable read. ( )
  PocketSable | Dec 29, 2016 |
Picking up where the first book in the series left off (I'm going to avoid spoilers in this review), Mori is reeling from the revelations, and trying to put her life back together. But a new mystery has sprung up, one that directly involves her, her family, and Sherlock Holmes.

I love what Petty has done with Lock and Mori. They are complex characters that I have come to care deeply about, and to root for.

The mystery is another good one, lots of twists and turns, lots of unexpected revelations. That cliffhanger at the end is amazing!!

I have a hard time finding anything not to like about this series. If anything, the ending felt a little rushed.

Thanks to that crazy cliffhanger at the end, I absolutely cannot wait for the next book in this series! ( )
  seasonsoflove | Dec 15, 2016 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,085,423 books! | Top bar: Always visible