The Discount Detectives by Ben Unglesbee

The Discount Detectives

by Ben Unglesbee

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book started with an interesting premise: a young man joins an odd detective agency and his first case is investigating possible fraud at a rocket company. Eventually he gets caught up in a larger conspiracy that involves the Tea Party, the US Treasury, and a medieval village. Unfortunately, this book didn't do it for me. There wasn't enough humor and the main characters were't interesting enough. It seems like it was going for a Carl Hiassen feel, but didn't quite get there. ( )
  smcgurr | Mar 5, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I requested this book through Early Reviewers because it was promoted as a screwball comedy. As a fan of Carl Hiaasen, Christopher Moore & Tim Dorsey not to mention the classic film "My Man Godfrey", I feel I know screwball when I see it. I didn't see it here.
Discount detectives? More like dismal detectives. I have never encountered two more incompetent gumshoes. Their primary investigative tool appears to be Google. Their idea of a disguise is a haircut, homemade fat suit and indeterminate accent. Need a new disguise? Lose the fat suit, grow out the hair, keep the accent.
There was too much going on that wasn't fully developed, too much coincidence and too many unlikeable characters (almost everyone). It was wrapped up too neatly without any real effort on the part of the detectives.
Finally, nothing takes me out of a story more than a glaring factual error or egregious spelling mistake. The repeated use of "mote" instead of "moat" during the sequence at the medieval village was such an instance.
If this is the start of a series. count me out.
  madlibrarian | Mar 5, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The plot is thin. The main characters are neither believable nor did I relate to them. The ending was the best part. The ending was logical and followed from the sequence of events. Someone not me might enjoy this book, so this is a review without spoilers. The political intrigue echoes some of what could go on in US current events. That coincidence was a bit spooky. I finished the book, so it gets 2 stars minimum. There were funny parts. People who are more interested in facts than feelings would probably really enjoy this book. I'm a very touchy-feely kind of reader. ( )
  jaelquinn | Feb 6, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
EARLY REVIEWERS EBOOK -- I received this book through the Early Reviewers program here on LibraryThing.

A fun read overall, though there were some editing issues, like characters going in disguise but people still calling them by their correct names (when they otherwise believe the deception created by the disguises). Things like that. There were also a few times when it was unclear within the book how much time had passed --- a few hours, a few days? Again, these are things that will likely be tidied up before the final release comes out.

What I found harder to follow was the overall style of the book -- was it parody/ farce or was it trying to be more earnest, darker? That said, I'd probably read a follow-up. I enjoyed the characters, who were odd (in a good way). ( )
  benjclark | Jan 17, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A good book but it often feels like an Extended Episode of Law and Order. The plot while believable centers on characters we never real meet or learn to dislike. The protagonists are characters we never get to know or sympathize with. It's an interesting read but won't be a highly rated political thriller. ( )
  kurtabeard | Dec 27, 2016 |

Part caper crime, part screwball comedy and part political satire, The Detectives Discount is a quirky spin on the detective novel.

Ted Shackelford is not your typical literary detective. He's neither super-tough like Philip Marlow super-smart like Sherlock Holmes nor. He's a screw-up, the bungler. But he's trying his hardest.

After being laid off from his job as a department store security guard, Ted stumbles into a job as a private investigator at the obscure Discount Investigations Agency. He's hired by chief investigator Ray Loveburn, who has a sketchy past, scruples few and far more confidence than common sense.

Soon after joining the agency, Ted is assigned to the Space Inc. case, and from there on his life is taken over by alter egos, shady characters, complicated financial schemes, rich wannabe astronauts, leering politicians, angry Tea Partiers and the vagabond prophet of economic doom. Run by industrial tycoon and political libertarian O.P. Good, Space Inc. has grand aspirations but there is little evidence That It Is Actually building a rocket. Despite a series of disguises and fake identities, Ted and Ray get nowhere on the case. Meanwhile, Ted is Also trying to find clues about the mysterious financial bet Placed against the U.S. government's credit standing, made urgent by the showdown in Congress over the country's budget. Soon Ted is thrust into a role he does not feel at all equipped for: Trying to save the world suddenly on the brink of economic collapse.

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 02 Dec 2016 09:22:28 -0500)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Ben Unglesbee's book The Discount Detectives is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,410,535 books! | Top bar: Always visible