One Fell Sweep by Ilona Andrews

One Fell Sweep

by Ilona Andrews

"You're up early, Your Grace."

"It's a lovely day and we're under siege. People are trying to murder us." Her eyes shone with excitement. "Isn’t it marvelous?"

She would think so, wouldn’t she?

One Fell Sweep is the third book in the Innkeeper Chronicles by Ilona Andrews. So much for Dina's relatively quiet life. First, she receives an urgent call for help from her sister to come rescue her and her family from the planet they've been exiled on, a lawless and desolate place that is used as a penal colony. Then Dina agrees to help a guest with his last chance to save his dying species. Now the inn is under siege by a family of assassins putting the Gertrude Hunt and everyone's lives at risk. How will Dina keep everyone safe while also continuing to search for her missing parents?

This one has a slightly more complicated plot than the first two installments, weaving together three main story lines along with a couple side threads. One thing is quite certain: Dina takes her role as Innkeeper seriously and cares deeply for her family and the guests staying at the inn. She will stop at nothing, putting her own life on the line, to live up to her duties. If it wasn't obvious before the depth of power Dina has when she's on the inn's grounds is enormous. She is one bad ass, highly capable heroine!

All the regular characters are back along with are some great additions. Dina's sister and niece, Maud and Helen, are delightful. They provide insight into another layer of vampire society and family structure, giving that species more depth. My heart broke a little for the Hiru, an alien race that is being hunted into extinction for all the wrong reasons. They have been scattered across the universe in an attempt to stay alive. All they want is a place where they can live quietly and their delicate physiology requires them to constantly wear repulsive space suits in order to live anywhere off their home planet. The romantic thread that has been hinted at in the first two books comes to fruition and, a word of warning, there is one very steamy scene as a result. The humor is well done. The conversation where one alien tries to explain Christmas to anther based on his viewing of A Christmas Story is laugh out loud funny. This book should also get an award for best use of a fart gun.

I'm so glad the author has decided to continue the series as the book ends on a bit of a bombshell. With this story wrapped up it leaves us with a nice hook for what is to come. I look forward to it. ( )
  Narilka | Jul 29, 2017 |
What an AMAZING book!! Worth reading, worth reading many, many times. I have enjoyed this series installment the most so far. It was full of action and sci-fi goodness and I loved it.

It was so great to have all the characters in this story as well as additional characters that we had heard of before but never met. I thoroughly enjoyed reading about Dina’s sister and her niece. Seeing a new side to Arland was also very enjoyable. As always the humor in the story had me laughing all the way through.

One Fell Sweep started out fun and light but as the story went on it became intense and graphic. The action had a snowball effect and by the end I was on the edge of my seat! What an epic ending. It was soooooo good. I also loved that Sean and Dina finally figured out what it was that they wanted from each other. Swoon!

This story has the kind of ending that left me very satisfied. If there were to be no more books then this installment would be enough for me but if there are to be future books I am very excited about that. I highly recommend this book and this series. ( )
  TheGenreMinx | Jul 9, 2017 |
This series is perfect for what it is- an urban fantasy with a lead character that is sensible, likeable, and incredibly interesting. The romance is nicely done and Dina doesn't make stupid decision because of it.

I like the world of the Innkeepers - the magic/science mix is nice, the characters are delightfully well written. Generally, a good book that is perfect for a Sunday afternoon read in a hammock. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Jun 25, 2017 |
In this episode, Dina rescues her sister Maud and Maud's five-year-old daughter Helen from exile on a very dangerous planet. Dina also accepts a Hiru as a guest. The Hiru are a race that has almost completely been massacred by the Draziri who look at exterminating Hiru as a religious requirement.

Dina calls on Arland to help rescue her sister and Sean goes along too. Both Sean and Arland remain at the inn to help Dina defend it from the Draziri. Sean and Dina are falling in love but Dina is worried that Sean won't want to stay with her. She is tied to her inn and will be for life. Sean has only recently come back from difficult galactic adventures and she fears he will want more adventures in the future. There is also a growing relationship between Maud and Arland complicated by the fact the he is a vampire and Maud's former husband the the reason for her exile was also a vampire.

The story had lots of action on a variety of different worlds. There was plenty of action on Earth too. Dina is having difficulty keeping the actions of the Draziri secret from the human police since the Draziri don't care if they expose the inn and its secrets.

I like the characters in this series. Maud and Helen are new to the series but are both interesting and entertaining. We find out more about the relationship between inns and innkeepers in this story and also about the governing authority that manages them.

This was a great story that kept me reading late into the night. I had to know how things were going to work out for Sean and Dina and what was going to happen to the Hiru. ( )
  kmartin802 | Apr 2, 2017 |
4.5 Stars
Fun, adventure, blood, heads on stakes, stinky aliens, amazing woman power, hot vampire and one sexy werewolf what more could you want ? Well, no worries if you do there is so much more.
Dina, the innkeeper has some difficult guests. They have needs that may cost her everything. She can not turn away and steps into a dirty war zone. She has so much against her, but she has several strong allies backing her. Her collection of friends, frenemies and family make a strong force. Sean the werewolf who left and came back changed, really impressed this reader once again. Sean is a dream man who can turn into your four legged pal at a twitch. (Bonus) Her quest to save her guest, save her Inn and save her family all crash and smash at the same time. It's a stressful ride, I think I gained a new gray hair.
Thanks Andrews, for a massive cliffhanger. I'll be mashing the events in my head over and over waiting for the next book.
There is something about this author pair that make me want to draw, paint or just doodle while I'm reading or listening to their books. They are so visual, even this unartistic soul reaches out to it.
I really want to hear this series on audio. ( )
  TheYodamom | Mar 11, 2017 |
To Lora Gasway
Thank you for everything. We miss you and deeply regret your passing.
A faint chime tugged me out of sleep.

Dina DeMille may run the nicest Bed and Breakfast in Red Deer, Texas, but she caters to a very particular kind of guest & the kind that no one on Earth is supposed to know about. Guests like a former intergalactic tyrant with an impressive bounty on her head, the Lord Marshal of a powerful vampire clan, and a displaced-and-superhot werewolf; so don't stand too close, or you may be collateral damage. -- that!… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,351,105 books! | Top bar: Always visible