Death of a Ghost by M. C. Beaton

Death of a Ghost (2017)

by M. C. Beaton

I have only read one book previous in this series and to be honest was I not so impressed with it. However, I thought I would give the series on more chance. The story seemed interesting and I love reading books set in Scotland.

Death of a Ghost starts off with a haunted castle, but then it quickly turns into a murder mystery when Hamish and Charlie find a body in the castle. Who killed the man and why? This is only the beginning as more the killer goes after more people. And, it's up to Hamish to put a stop to it all.

I have some problems with this book, and one major problem is the way the book is written. It's pretty much just dialog and not much description. And, the dialog feels very terse and lacks fluency. This could be just me, but I find it very hard to get into the story because of that. The characters never come to life and for instance, Hamish problem with women, is that suppose to be funny? I actually don't know because it never is funny. It's just annoying. And Charlie being clumsy is another thing that is just not working for me. Not to mention when Charlie fell for Olivia, the books female fatal. That was just cringeworthy. The only things that kept me going were that I wanted to know who the murderer was.

Death of a Ghost is my last attempt reading this series. I just can't see what's so awesome with the books. The storyline, especially towards the end of the book was just so baffling. I mean everything concerning Chief Detective Inspector Blair felt like a parody. Without being funny.

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy for an honest review!

Read this review and others on A Bookaholic Swede ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |
Reading this book has left me puzzled. I am not sure what M.C. Beaton was trying to write about in this book. Was it about smuggling drugs? Was it about three or four murders in Drim? Was it about Hamish's arch-enemy Chief Inspector Blair and his eternal hatred of Hamish and anyone else that may gain favour in the police force? I am really not sure. There were so many threads hanging, I don't think that they were even close to all being picked up. I find these books are so rushed and the plot so scattered that they almost leave me breathless. But I still love Hamish and his little home in Lochdubh, so I continue to read them. ( )
  Romonko | Oct 24, 2017 |
I enjoyed reading this book solely because of Hamish and his antics.(That's why I have read others in the series too). The whodunit mystery is a by the way. In this case it was OK but nothing spectacular. I agree with some of the reviewers at this site that there was too many characters. I noted also a harder edge at the end of the book with the Fox/Blair encounter.. In the end it really added little or nothing to the story or the series. I also thought it was out of character for Hamish to break into the forensic lab and take the evidence. Maybe these last two points are misguided attempts to "freshen" the series. ( )
  BrianEWilliams | Apr 21, 2017 |
Classic Hamish Macbeth. DEATH OF A GHOST is M.C. Beaton’s 34th title in this iconic series.
Marion Gibbons, nee’ McChesney (born in 1936) is an extremely popular (and prolific) author of romance, historical fiction and mystery novels since 1979. She uses several pseudonyms, but M.C. Beaton is her choice for the Hamish Macbeth and Agatha Raisin books.
I love this particular series. It is comfortable, predictable and friendly. I feel like I am visiting an old friend and sipping a wee dram of malt whiskey next to a cozy fire.
Hamish is a police sergeant in the remote town of Lochdubh in the Scottish Highlands. He is very clever, devious, self-centered and a bit cranky. He solves crimes but doesn’t want to take any credit, for fear of promotion and a transfer to the ‘big city’. He loves the village of Lochdubh and his crofter’s house/police station and does not want to leave. He cares for his pets, his hens and sheep. He knows the villagers and their ‘business’ in all the vast area that he polices.
Hamish has a weakness for women - his ‘idea’ of women - yet can’t seem to give up his ‘idea’ of independence and bachelorhood.
Hamish and his partner, Charlie, check out reports of a haunted castle in the very grim village of Drim. They don’t find a ghost, but they do stumble upon a dead body. More dead bodies follow and there seems to be no limit to the suspects.
A wonderful sense of place; familiar, eccentric main characters; murders; mystery; villains; religious fanatics; love of pets; smuggling; charm; Scottish lochs; the see-saw relationship between Daviot and Blair and Jimmy Anderson; police incompetence; lots of whiskey. You’ve got yourself a great Hamish Macbeth experience! ( )
  diana.hauser | Apr 6, 2017 |
Sadly, this is not the one of the best of this series. Hamish McBeth lost his charm for me in this book. He does have a grand new partner, Charlie. Charlie has a way with children and loves weird food.

I say to M.C. Beaton, if you have had enough of Hamish McBeth, why not put him to rest and let Charlie shine. This is the first time that I have ever complained about too much conversation but there was so, please give us so more background and description. Be yourself!!!

There some parts in the book that seemed like the old Hamish that I adored. M.C. Beaton, you are a wonderful writer. Please let him pass on and bring on Charlie. I plan on reading any of the previous books that I have not read and will definitely try any new series. ( )
  Carolee888 | Mar 19, 2017 |

"When Police Sergeant Hamish Macbeth hears reports of a haunted castle near Drim, he assumes the eerie noises and lights reported by the villagers are just local teenagers going there to smoke pot or, worse, inject themselves with drugs. Still, Hamish decides that he and his policeman, Charlie "Clumsy" Carson, will spend the night at the ruined castle to get to the bottom of the rumors once and for all. There's no sign of any ghost...but then Charlie disappears through the floor. It turns out he's fallen into the cellar. And what Hamish and Charlie find there is worse than a ghost: a dead body propped against the wall. Waiting for help to arrive, Hamish and Charlie leave the castle just for a moment--to eat bacon baps--but when they return, the body is nowhere to be seen. It's clear something strange--and deadly--is going on at the castle, and Hamish must get to the bottom of it before the "ghost" can strike again" --… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,645,518 books! | Top bar: Always visible