Death of a Ghost (A Hamish Macbeth Mystery)…

Death of a Ghost (A Hamish Macbeth Mystery) (original 2017; edition 2017)

by M. C. Beaton (Author)

When Police Sergeant Hamish Macbeth hears reports of a haunted castle near Drim, he assumes the eerie noises and lights reported by the villagers are just local teenagers going there to smoke pot or, worse, inject themselves with drugs. Still, Hamish decides that he and his policeman, Charlie "Clumsy" Carson, will spend the night at the ruined castle to get to the bottom of the rumors once and for all. There's no sign of any ghost...but then Charlie disappears through the floor. It turns out he's fallen into the cellar. And what Hamish and Charlie find there is worse than a ghost: a dead body propped against the wall. Waiting for help to arrive, Hamish and Charlie leave the castle just for a moment--to eat bacon baps--but when they return, the body is nowhere to be seen. It's clear something strange--and deadly--is going on at the castle, and Hamish must get to the bottom of it before the "ghost" can strike again.… (more)
Member:PhonyGal
Title:Death of a Ghost (A Hamish Macbeth Mystery)
Authors:M. C. Beaton (Author)
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2017), 256 pages
Tags:Read in 2017

Death of a Ghost by M. C. Beaton (2017)

I have only read one book previous in this series and to be honest was I not so impressed with it. However, I thought I would give the series on more chance. The story seemed interesting and I love reading books set in Scotland.

Death of a Ghost starts off with a haunted castle, but then it quickly turns into a murder mystery when Hamish and Charlie find a body in the castle. Who killed the man and why? This is only the beginning as more the killer goes after more people. And, it's up to Hamish to put a stop to it all.

I have some problems with this book, and one major problem is the way the book is written. It's pretty much just dialog and not much description. And, the dialog feels very terse and lacks fluency. This could be just me, but I find it very hard to get into the story because of that. The characters never come to life and for instance, Hamish problem with women, is that suppose to be funny? I actually don't know because it never is funny. It's just annoying. And Charlie being clumsy is another thing that is just not working for me. Not to mention when Charlie fell for Olivia, the books female fatal. That was just cringeworthy. The only things that kept me going were that I wanted to know who the murderer was.

Death of a Ghost is my last attempt reading this series. I just can't see what's so awesome with the books. The storyline, especially towards the end of the book was just so baffling. I mean everything concerning Chief Detective Inspector Blair felt like a parody. Without being funny.

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy for an honest review!

Read this review and others on A Bookaholic Swede ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |
Hamish MacBeth is back in true Hamish fashion. This is a series that I find people either love it or not. Hamish is a very distinct personality. He loves living in Lochdubh and has no interest in moving up the ladder in the police force. His sidekick, Charlie, is a large, clumsy lovable man who also does not want to leave the area. The problem is, these two inevitably solve cases and have to give the credit to others. This story sees Hamish and Charlie investigating a number of crimes in the Highland area they are responsible for. Between murders, smugglers, drugs, abused wives and children, they are kept hopping. Despite the fact that their superiors think they have solved the murders, Hamish is not so sure and keeps investigating. There are so many suspects as usual, that it takes a lot of deduction, perseverance and investigating to get to the bottom of these situations, all of which Hamish does well.

The main characters in the Hamish MacBeth series are quite complex and have human foibles galore. Hamish is a man who would like to find the right woman, but always finds fault with the one he is with. The women in the village are trying to get him to settle down as he seems to have difficulty finding someone on his own, that does not work out as planned. He is quite blunt and often ends up inadvertently hurting a person's feelings. Charlie continues to become smitten with women that do not work out. He lives in the castle due to the station being too small to accomodate a man of his size. He is kind, calm and friendly. The many secondary characters in the villages are very typical Highlanders. The Colonel makes several appearances in this book helping both Charlie and Hamish in their quests to remain in Lochdubh. Of course this time around Chief Detective Blair is present but not a thorn in Hamish's side as much as in previous books. He still does not like Hamish but is outwitted everytime he tries to cause problems for him. This was an enjoyable read with many more details and situations than in previous books. Once again, Hamish figures out what has happened, and is successful in giving the credit to others. The publisher generously provided me with a copy of this book via Netgalley. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
More of Hamish MacBeth, but not very different from the others in the series. A bit standard, with new characters with the same characteristics as bit characters from previous books. Many of the characters act inconsistently within one book, or over the entire series.

In this, an unlikely story starts off interestingly enough, but is then wrapped up abruptly, and the book stretches and meanders through unimportant sub-stories much longer than is necessary.

The earlier books in the series were funny, surprising and endearing. Both the story and the characters. Hamish is at times unlikable, but most of the time supremely heroic. I have found recent books to be a bit disjointed, and not as delightful. I have not completely given up on Hamish or Lochdubh, but the parade of perfect-until-they-suddenly-turn-insane love interests is frustrating, and the 'unpredictable' twists and surprises seem more manufactured and less likely with every new release.

**eARC Netgalley** ( )
  Critterbee | Apr 16, 2018 |
Reading this book has left me puzzled. I am not sure what M.C. Beaton was trying to write about in this book. Was it about smuggling drugs? Was it about three or four murders in Drim? Was it about Hamish's arch-enemy Chief Inspector Blair and his eternal hatred of Hamish and anyone else that may gain favour in the police force? I am really not sure. There were so many threads hanging, I don't think that they were even close to all being picked up. I find these books are so rushed and the plot so scattered that they almost leave me breathless. But I still love Hamish and his little home in Lochdubh, so I continue to read them. ( )
  Romonko | Oct 24, 2017 |
I enjoyed reading this book solely because of Hamish and his antics.(That's why I have read others in the series too). The whodunit mystery is a by the way. In this case it was OK but nothing spectacular. I agree with some of the reviewers at this site that there was too many characters. I noted also a harder edge at the end of the book with the Fox/Blair encounter.. In the end it really added little or nothing to the story or the series. I also thought it was out of character for Hamish to break into the forensic lab and take the evidence. Maybe these last two points are misguided attempts to "freshen" the series. ( )
  BrianEWilliams | Apr 21, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,836,691 books! | Top bar: Always visible